The Official June 2014 Study Group

rebexness
Posts: 4163
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:24 am

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby rebexness » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:27 pm

Straw_Mandible wrote:Haha sorry, Rebex. You're right, it's overplayed. And I'm as big a fan of the Trainer as anybody. But I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's the only way to be properly prepared to start PTs. Jaylawyer has been using a ton of other materials, and he's been drilling like a madman.


:)

I wouldn't say its the only way to prepare either- however, I would still hold that reading all of your "prep" material should be done before you really descend into the depths of PT hell. (Not including refreshers on particular question types or what-have-you)

10052014
Posts: 590
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:12 am

.

Postby 10052014 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:38 pm

.
Last edited by 10052014 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
dardardelight
Posts: 99
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:17 pm

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby dardardelight » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:07 pm

sashafierce wrote:Are you doing the 7sage course? If yes, how is it? I am strongly considering doing it so I would appreciate your feedback :)


Sashafierce: Honestly, I haven't really delved into it, but the lessons I've done so far are really concise and to the point; they are also organized really well, and there's a 'meter' that tracks your progress and makes sure you go through every lesson. There are also great drills (on pdf) at the end of important sections that you can print out, as well as some really great cheat sheets. I like learning visually with problems being done in front of me -- and after a couple lessons, JY seems like a professor you've had for a whole semester so you get that more immediate teacher/coach type of dynamic. I'd recommend 7sage - perhaps just the most basic plan - if you want an easy way to maximize your LSAT prep and learning strategies.

If you haven't done so already, check out his videos on youtube -- this will give you a good idea of what the lessons are like. I think a combination of JY Ping and Mike Kim, along with taking every PT you can and and drilling cambridge, is the winning formula.

User avatar
sashafierce
Posts: 454
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:44 am

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby sashafierce » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:28 pm

dardardelight wrote:
sashafierce wrote:Are you doing the 7sage course? If yes, how is it? I am strongly considering doing it so I would appreciate your feedback :)


Sashafierce: Honestly, I haven't really delved into it, but the lessons I've done so far are really concise and to the point; they are also organized really well, and there's a 'meter' that tracks your progress and makes sure you go through every lesson. There are also great drills (on pdf) at the end of important sections that you can print out, as well as some really great cheat sheets. I like learning visually with problems being done in front of me -- and after a couple lessons, JY seems like a professor you've had for a whole semester so you get that more immediate teacher/coach type of dynamic. I'd recommend 7sage - perhaps just the most basic plan - if you want an easy way to maximize your LSAT prep and learning strategies.

If you haven't done so already, check out his videos on youtube -- this will give you a good idea of what the lessons are like. I think a combination of JY Ping and Mike Kim, along with taking every PT you can and and drilling cambridge, is the winning formula.


Thank you for the feedback. I have watched his videos (LG explanations) and I like him, I have learnt a lot from watching them. I plan on purchasing his premium course, and based on your feedback I think that I would like it. I already have the Trainer and all the PTs, I just have to sign up for his course and then I am ready for that 180 :)

User avatar
alexrodriguez
Posts: 841
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 4:59 am

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby alexrodriguez » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:03 pm

afnajjerh wrote:Hey, Jaylawyer, i know the subject of a drilling study plan was floating around a while. Is that still a possibility or nah?


jaylawyer wrote:Yes, it is a possibility. I'll probably have it finished in a few weeks, or less



I'm excited for this!

User avatar
alexrodriguez
Posts: 841
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 4:59 am

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby alexrodriguez » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:53 pm

Whenever I start my stopwatch to time myself I find myself wanting to read so much faster.

This leads me to not comprehend anything. This leads to frustration.

This leads to me hating Logical Reasoning.

Stopwatch -> read faster -> not comprehend -> frustration -> hates logical reason.

Which of the following can be properly assumed?

A. Hates logical reasoning so he uses a stopwatch.
B. Not comprehend so he uses a stopwatch.
C. Reads faster out of frustration.
D. Because he uses a stopwatch he hates logical reasoning.
E. Because he uses a stopwatch he will do well on the LSAT.

User avatar
mist4bison
Posts: 1549
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:17 pm

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby mist4bison » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:28 pm

.
Last edited by mist4bison on Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Straw_Mandible
Posts: 314
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:10 pm

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby Straw_Mandible » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:29 pm

louierodriguez wrote:Whenever I start my stopwatch to time myself I find myself wanting to read so much faster.

This leads me to not comprehend anything. This leads to frustration.

This leads to me hating Logical Reasoning.

Stopwatch -> read faster -> not comprehend -> frustration -> hates logical reason.

Which of the following can be properly assumed?

A. Hates logical reasoning so he uses a stopwatch.
B. Not comprehend so he uses a stopwatch.
C. Reads faster out of frustration.
D. Because he uses a stopwatch he hates logical reasoning.
E. Because he uses a stopwatch he will do well on the LSAT.


D is our winner!

Also, to address your problem, I recommend that you fight the urge to read faster (i.e. trying to comprehend more information in less time), and focus instead on trimming down your process so that you are only focusing on the stuff that matters -- conclusion and support. LR stims often force us to wade through a lot of nonsense and background info that does not have anything to do with the reasoning relationship in question. The people who finish LR sections under time do so not because they are faster readers, but because they are more efficient problem-solvers. They know what to pay attention to and what to ignore. Process trumps speed.

User avatar
iiibbystar
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:59 am

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby iiibbystar » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:00 pm

Hi,

I'm sure some study groups have already been formed but I wanted to ask if there's anyone interested in being my study buddy for the June 2014 exam? I'd prefer someone in CA (LA/OC area) who could meet up with me, but we could also Skype. I'm currently drilling the Cambridge LR packets PT 1-38. I'm pretty much studying full time from now until June, and I believe we can help each other! Please let me know--thanks! :)

User avatar
famousblueraincoat
Posts: 72
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:31 pm

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby famousblueraincoat » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:19 pm

Is anyone looking for a study partner in South FL? I'm almost done with the first 4 weeks of the trainer, but it took me nearly 2 months D:. Aiming for a 168-170+ if it matters. Hoping to study more regularly from now until June.

PM me! Also down for Skype. Just don't be too ahead in your prep, like everyone else ITT. Haha :P

User avatar
usernotfound
Posts: 292
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:46 pm

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby usernotfound » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:08 pm

Is the trainer useful for someone who has already done a lot of studying and can score in the 168-172 range?

User avatar
alexrodriguez
Posts: 841
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 4:59 am

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby alexrodriguez » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:22 pm

famousblueraincoat wrote:Is anyone looking for a study partner in South FL? I'm almost done with the first 4 weeks of the trainer, but it took me nearly 2 months D:. Aiming for a 168-170+ if it matters. Hoping to study more regularly from now until June.

PM me! Also down for Skype. Just don't be too ahead in your prep, like everyone else ITT. Haha :P


Where in South Florida are you?

You live in the 954 or 305? How far are you from Pembroke Pines?

User avatar
alexrodriguez
Posts: 841
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 4:59 am

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby alexrodriguez » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:22 pm

usernotfound wrote:Is the trainer useful for someone who has already done a lot of studying and can score in the 168-172 range?


sure

User avatar
alexrodriguez
Posts: 841
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 4:59 am

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby alexrodriguez » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:58 pm

I was watching CNN this morning and this doctor from USC comes on and is introduced as one of the best doctors across the world.

I immediately think to myself...

I'm going to be one of the best lawyers across the world and it all starts with the LSAT!

Let's do this!

User avatar
alexrodriguez
Posts: 841
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 4:59 am

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby alexrodriguez » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:22 am

Let me tell you about my unproductive weekend

20 Logic Games
50 Strengthen questions timed (All level 1) -10
50 Weaken questions timed (All level 1) -10
I cut out every question I got wrong or circled and highlighted the correct answer.
I disposed of all the questions I got correct
Watched 7sage explanations for 6 different games
Went through a few chapters in the Trainer

Things I regret doing:
Watching 3 or 4 episodes of Suits (Ones I've already seen)
Watching 2 or 3 episodes of the Paper Chase (Ones I've already seen)
Going bowling with friends (but hey, I did score a 182 and 191)
Watching 2 hours of the hobbit then turning it off in sheer disappointment of how I should be spending my time

----
I think everyone would learn a great deal from Preptest 54 game 4. I failed to make an important inference and it made question 22 much harder than it should have been.

On another note... I find myself wanting to drill more and more... this is good news for me... it feels like a natural transition from theory to application.

I'm tired of watching the game footage... I just want to get out there and do work

User avatar
WaltGrace83
Posts: 719
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:55 pm

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby WaltGrace83 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:36 am

louierodriguez wrote:Let me tell you about my unproductive weekend

20 Logic Games
50 Strengthen questions timed (All level 1) -10
50 Weaken questions timed (All level 1) -10
I cut out every question I got wrong or circled and highlighted the correct answer.
I disposed of all the questions I got correct
Watched 7sage explanations for 6 different games
Went through a few chapters in the Trainer

Things I regret doing:
Watching 3 or 4 episodes of Suits (Ones I've already seen)
Watching 2 or 3 episodes of the Paper Chase (Ones I've already seen)
Going bowling with friends (but hey, I did score a 182 and 191)
Watching 2 hours of the hobbit then turning it off in sheer disappointment of how I should be spending my time

----
I think everyone would learn a great deal from Preptest 54 game 4. I failed to make an important inference and it made question 22 much harder than it should have been.

On another note... I find myself wanting to drill more and more... this is good news for me... it feels like a natural transition from theory to application.

I'm tired of watching the game footage... I just want to get out there and do work


You need a LSAT/life balance! I was doing terribly on Friday after reading/drilling for like 5-7 hours a day for many many many days straight. I got a -9 on an LR section! I hung out with my friend all Friday night. Yesterday I drilled LG for three hours straight (games that I really suck at - Complex Ordering). I went through most of the Cambridge packet and did every game except one with -0 and under time. i think sometimes I just need to clear my head

User avatar
mist4bison
Posts: 1549
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:17 pm

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby mist4bison » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:19 am

.
Last edited by mist4bison on Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
WaltGrace83
Posts: 719
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:55 pm

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby WaltGrace83 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:06 pm

mist4bison wrote:
louierodriguez wrote:Let me tell you about my unproductive weekend

20 Logic Games
50 Strengthen questions timed (All level 1) -10
50 Weaken questions timed (All level 1) -10
I cut out every question I got wrong or circled and highlighted the correct answer.
I disposed of all the questions I got correct
Watched 7sage explanations for 6 different games
Went through a few chapters in the Trainer


Do most people dispose of the questions they answered correctly? I made two copies of all Cambridge packets and planned on drilling everything twice, whether I got it correct or not. Is that too much?


I don't. I am a little confused by this too. Care to explain louie?

izzy895
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:59 pm

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby izzy895 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:56 pm

Hey all, considering a retake in February or June. I don't think I'll have enough time to be happy in February, but for those that are retaking around my score (166) or those far along in prep, how are you handling the 5 months until the June test? Right now I'm not working so I do have pretty much unlimited time but I don't want to rush February. At the same time though, I'm worried about the huge span until June and adjusting to working full time and studying. Anyone in a similar situation?

User avatar
mist4bison
Posts: 1549
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:17 pm

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby mist4bison » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:04 pm

.
Last edited by mist4bison on Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
iiibbystar
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:59 am

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby iiibbystar » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:22 pm

louierodriguez wrote:Let me tell you about my unproductive weekend

20 Logic Games
50 Strengthen questions timed (All level 1) -10
50 Weaken questions timed (All level 1) -10
I cut out every question I got wrong or circled and highlighted the correct answer.
I disposed of all the questions I got correct
Watched 7sage explanations for 6 different games
Went through a few chapters in the Trainer

Things I regret doing:
Watching 3 or 4 episodes of Suits (Ones I've already seen)
Watching 2 or 3 episodes of the Paper Chase (Ones I've already seen)
Going bowling with friends (but hey, I did score a 182 and 191)
Watching 2 hours of the hobbit then turning it off in sheer disappointment of how I should be spending my time

----
I think everyone would learn a great deal from Preptest 54 game 4. I failed to make an important inference and it made question 22 much harder than it should have been.

On another note... I find myself wanting to drill more and more... this is good news for me... it feels like a natural transition from theory to application.

I'm tired of watching the game footage... I just want to get out there and do work


Just wondering, how do you time yourself for the LR Cambridge problem sets? Do you give yourself 1.5mins for each problem or do you do 24-26 problems for the level 1, and give yourself 30-35mins to do them?

User avatar
alexrodriguez
Posts: 841
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 4:59 am

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby alexrodriguez » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:06 am

WaltGrace83 wrote:
mist4bison wrote:
louierodriguez wrote:Let me tell you about my unproductive weekend

20 Logic Games
50 Strengthen questions timed (All level 1) -10
50 Weaken questions timed (All level 1) -10
I cut out every question I got wrong or circled and highlighted the correct answer.
I disposed of all the questions I got correct
Watched 7sage explanations for 6 different games
Went through a few chapters in the Trainer


Do most people dispose of the questions they answered correctly? I made two copies of all Cambridge packets and planned on drilling everything twice, whether I got it correct or not. Is that too much?


I don't. I am a little confused by this too. Care to explain louie?


Well because I cut out the questions I got wrong I don't want to have loose sheets of paper with 1/4 the page missing. I figure I'll just throw away all the questions I got right because it's a line of reasoning I understand and don't really need to dwell on those. I have a nice stack of questions I got wrong and I can review those at any time I want. I also cut out the questions I circled and as an indication of being "not sure of" even if I got them right so I can instill in myself that logical line of reasoning.

mist4bison wrote:Just wondering, how do you time yourself for the LR Cambridge problem sets? Do you give yourself 1.5mins for each problem or do you do 24-26 problems for the level 1, and give yourself 30-35mins to do them?


Over the weekend I was mainly doing 10 questions timed. I did 15 questions timed twice and I did 20 questions timed once. I'll keep switching it up. I'm going to get creative with it. By the end of my drilling I'd like to be able to do 100 LR questions straight in a timely fashion. Last night I did 8 Logic games in 45 minutes.

At a minimum I'll go through all the LR questions twice. My idea behind that is simply because that's what Jaylawyer is doing. I may end up going through them three times if time permits.

izzy895 wrote:I'm worried about the huge span until June and adjusting to working full time and studying. Anyone in a similar situation?


I'm worried it's not enough time to fully prepare.

WaltGrace83 wrote:You need a LSAT/life balance!

The LSAT is my life.

User avatar
alexrodriguez
Posts: 841
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 4:59 am

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby alexrodriguez » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:54 am

I just made 2 copies of each RC passage from Preptests 19-28

That's 160 pages of RC!

Time to get drilling!

10052014
Posts: 590
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:12 am

.

Postby 10052014 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:10 am

.
Last edited by 10052014 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
CocoSunshine
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:59 pm

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby CocoSunshine » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:48 am

jaylawyer09 wrote:
Well, I have two or thre packets left till I am done drilling LR twice, and heres what I can tell you:



This sounds great! The problem for me is I remember the stimulus and the right answer of almost all the questions I did even one month before. That's partly why I choose not to repeat drilling LR. Also, I am sitting for the Feb test and I have a lot of PTs left. Do you think repeating is more helpful than drilling new sections (with thorough review)?




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bearedman8, cianchetta0, Greenteachurro, legirl12le, thisiswater, WeightliftingThinker and 14 guests