The Official June 2014 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
rebexness

Gold

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Post by rebexness » Thu May 29, 2014 1:20 pm

DaRascal wrote:
Is there anything else that can be done to make RC fun while still getting perfect on it or close to it or do we just have to approach it with extreme focus and hope there isn't an experimental RC too?
You absolutely cannot worry about what may or may not be your experimental. You can't change it, and its a good way to waste time being distraction. Every section is real.

BaberhamLincoln

Gold

Post by BaberhamLincoln » Thu May 29, 2014 1:22 pm

I can't wait for this shit to be over with.

alexrodriguez

Silver

Post by alexrodriguez » Thu May 29, 2014 1:24 pm

Tomorrow will be my last day at the gym until test day.

Going hard on the studying. If I'm not at any of the libraries nearby at 8 A.M. I'm late for work.

DaRascal

Gold

Post by DaRascal » Thu May 29, 2014 1:31 pm

rebexness wrote: You absolutely cannot worry about what may or may not be your experimental. You can't change it, and its a good way to waste time being distraction. Every section is real.
Great advice. I'm excited, man. I mean, I've had a lot of fun prepping and I'll be approaching each section with a clear mind, I've just never been able to get into RC because of how draining it can be because of the amount of focus it requires relative to the other two types of sections.

dd235

Bronze

Post by dd235 » Thu May 29, 2014 3:48 pm

rebexness wrote:
DaRascal wrote:
What's everyone else's plan for the next 10 days?
Fri- PT 44
Sat- Review
Sun
Mon-Drill
Tues-PT 51
Weds-Review
Thurs- June 2007
Fri-Review
Sat- PT 52
Sun-PT 46
Mon-PT 72

8) 8)
No way! I'm taking 72 as well on monday. We should review together!!! :P

But ya, I'm kinda doing the opposite of everyone and lightening up my drilling/testing. Taking a PT today and 2 next week with light drilling in between. Hopefully this doesn't screw me...

Louie,
It might not be such a great idea to completely disregard working out in the next two weeks. I did that for my last test and I think it had a lot to do with the reason I got sick (my body was out of funk). I would hate for that to happen to you. Even a 30 minute workout a day would do more good to your psyche than 30 minutes more of drilling.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Thu May 29, 2014 3:53 pm

dd235 wrote: No way! I'm taking 72 as well on monday. We should review together!!! :P
Monday night starts a month of stress baking, no time to review ;)

jimmymac

Bronze

Post by jimmymac » Thu May 29, 2014 4:02 pm

Went from -7 on RC in PT 65 to -1 on RC in PT 66... Hopefully I figured it out? Just seemed as though 66 was easier for me- didn't hurt I took a class on Jazz which focused on Duke Ellington, who was the primary focus of one of the passages.

Need to keep the confidence up. Almost there.

WorldsCollide

Bronze

Post by WorldsCollide » Thu May 29, 2014 4:32 pm

Not exercising when your body is used to it is a bad idea. Don't change routine now!

Just took my first two 50s prep tests after only doing 30s... and my confidence is shot. Crippling self-doubt eleven days before the exam ;(.
Last edited by WorldsCollide on Thu May 29, 2014 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

santoki

Silver

Post by santoki » Thu May 29, 2014 4:33 pm

+1 to the keep pumping iron (or treading mills) train of thought.

keeping your bod in top shape can make a big difference! :mrgreen:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Learn_Live_Hope

Silver

Post by Learn_Live_Hope » Thu May 29, 2014 4:38 pm

WorldsCollide wrote:Not exercising when your body is used to it is a bad idea. Don't change routine now!

Just took my first two 50s prep tests after only doing 30s... and my confidence is shot. Crippling self-doubt eleven days before the exam ;(.
Oh noooo! How did you perform? :(

Calbears123

Bronze

Post by Calbears123 » Thu May 29, 2014 4:42 pm

Took 4 days off (well mostly because of work) after my worst score in like 3 months on PT 62 (166). Took PT 63 today

LR1 -1
LG -0
LR2 -0
RC -4

Score 175

Some thoughts on PT 63. LR seemed straight forward as hell, as long as you read every answer question you weren't going to get tricked. Guess thats why the curve was only -10. LG 1 2 and 4 were probably some of the easiest I've ever seen. The amount of time it took me to finish the game was the amount of time it took for me to diagram the rules and write down hypotheticals for the local questions. Game 3 was long and pretty hard imo. 2 either but not both rules. Had to take this one slow or else I would have missed something. I think the game took me 15 minutes. The first and third reading passage were not difficult, but the 2nd one about that women writer had some difficult answer choices, and that was probably one of the harder comparative passages I've done

WorldsCollide

Bronze

Post by WorldsCollide » Thu May 29, 2014 4:49 pm

Learn_Live_Hope wrote:
WorldsCollide wrote:Not exercising when your body is used to it is a bad idea. Don't change routine now!

Down by almost ten points from my peak. (Basically to about the same scores I was getting on my first PT =O ).
Kind of embarrassed to say the actual scores with all you mid-170s and aiming 180s people =P

Learn_Live_Hope

Silver

Post by Learn_Live_Hope » Thu May 29, 2014 4:51 pm

WorldsCollide wrote:
Learn_Live_Hope wrote:

Down by almost ten points from my peak. (Basically to about the same scores I was getting on my first PT =O ).
Kind of embarrassed to say the actual scores with all you mid-170s and aiming 180s people =P
You should never feel embarrassed to share your score with us :wink:

We are only here to help…if there is anything we can do for you please let us know :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

WorldsCollide

Bronze

Post by WorldsCollide » Thu May 29, 2014 5:02 pm

Learn_Live_Hope wrote:
WorldsCollide wrote:
Learn_Live_Hope wrote:

You should never feel embarrassed to share your score with us :wink:

We are only here to help…if there is anything we can do for you please let us know :)
Aww! That's really nice =). Still not sharing my score though =P.

When everyone keeps saying "drill RC" they just mean doing RC sections, right? There's nothing in particular/else that people do?

Learn_Live_Hope

Silver

Post by Learn_Live_Hope » Thu May 29, 2014 5:12 pm

WorldsCollide,

Haha you don't need to. No pressure! :wink:

Yes! Do RC section, and review it right after. Then, do the same thing all over again :wink:

WorldsCollide

Bronze

Post by WorldsCollide » Thu May 29, 2014 5:39 pm

I can't do that because I'm taking two preptests a day under simulated LSAT conditions... dammit.

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Thu May 29, 2014 5:40 pm

WorldsCollide wrote:I can't do that because I'm taking two preptests a day under simulated LSAT conditions... dammit.

What is your reasoning behind this? TBF, if you are not scoring 170+ I wouldn't do this. One every day is too many. You need to spend that extra time reviewing and drilling.

/know it all off, sorry.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

alexrodriguez

Silver

Post by alexrodriguez » Thu May 29, 2014 5:47 pm

Going to the gym is just too time consuming. It's like a three hour evolution. Workout, eat, shower, drive somewhere to study.

I'm going to workout at my house right when I wake up like I did in the Navy. I have a pull-up bar in my backyard, and my olympic bar for various exercises. I'll manage. Sometimes I feel like I've been working harder in the gym then I do in the library. Kind of need to tilt the scales in the other direction for the next 10 days.

Alright. Time to get to work. I got 5 hours until this library closes at 11 P.M.

WorldsCollide

Bronze

Post by WorldsCollide » Thu May 29, 2014 5:48 pm

rebexness wrote:
WorldsCollide wrote:I can't do that because I'm taking two preptests a day under simulated LSAT conditions... dammit.

What is your reasoning behind this? TBF, if you are not scoring 170+ I wouldn't do this. One every day is too many. You need to spend that extra time reviewing and drilling.

/know it all off, sorry.
^ That's perfectly fine... I don't know. I have been making constant gains until now by taking preptests. And it doesn't really look like there's one problem/section that is giving me constant problems. My errors are kind of random so I don't know how to correct this 0_0. Also, I spend an additional hour and a half (at least) each day for LG review.

Learn_Live_Hope

Silver

Post by Learn_Live_Hope » Thu May 29, 2014 6:10 pm

louierodriguez wrote:Going to the gym is just too time consuming. It's like a three hour evolution. Workout, eat, shower, drive somewhere to study.

I'm going to workout at my house right when I wake up like I did in the Navy. I have a pull-up bar in my backyard, and my olympic bar for various exercises. I'll manage. Sometimes I feel like I've been working harder in the gym then I do in the library. Kind of need to tilt the scales in the other direction for the next 10 days.

Alright. Time to get to work. I got 5 hours until this library closes at 11 P.M.
What are you working on Louie?

Im at the library as well :wink:

Yeezus

Bronze

Post by Yeezus » Thu May 29, 2014 7:12 pm

Hey guys, I've been studying for the LSAT and following this thread for a few months but I've been running into some problems lately... I've been averaging a 174 through most of my prep with a high of 180 on PT52, but ever since PT52, my scores have been steadily going down to the 170-171 range. Today, I got blindsided with a 165 on PT67, completely bombing the LG, which has always been my strongest section. I'm starting to worry that I peaked too early. Is there anything I can do this close to test date to get out of this slump?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

berkeleynick

New

Post by berkeleynick » Thu May 29, 2014 9:37 pm

YeezusPiece wrote:Hey guys, I've been studying for the LSAT and following this thread for a few months but I've been running into some problems lately... I've been averaging a 174 through most of my prep with a high of 180 on PT52, but ever since PT52, my scores have been steadily going down to the 170-171 range. Today, I got blindsided with a 165 on PT67, completely bombing the LG, which has always been my strongest section. I'm starting to worry that I peaked too early. Is there anything I can do this close to test date to get out of this slump?
It could just be an off day. Maybe take a few days off if you've been practicing incessantly.

berkeleynick

New

Post by berkeleynick » Thu May 29, 2014 9:38 pm

Learn_Live_Hope wrote:
louierodriguez wrote:Going to the gym is just too time consuming. It's like a three hour evolution. Workout, eat, shower, drive somewhere to study.

What are you working on Louie?

Im at the library as well :wink:
Me too! Reviewing PT 61 and just drilling logic games. I'm at the library and I live in NYC too! ^.^

alexrodriguez

Silver

Post by alexrodriguez » Thu May 29, 2014 11:22 pm

My focus is mainly on LR for the next 10 days.

Just doing timed sections and reviewing right after.

DaRascal

Gold

Post by DaRascal » Fri May 30, 2014 9:32 am

Has anyone else developed a strategy for each section?

Mine goes like this:

LR- Be a little more complacent than I would on RC but still evaluate the arguments quickly. Come back in the end to recheck any difficult strengthen/weaken/principle-justify questions.

RC- read quickly with a keen eye. Notate only information that seems important. Intuitively keep in mind what the structure of the passage is. Finish each passage and its questions in under 8 minutes. Circle 1 or 2 difficult questions and come back to check if I have a few minutes left in the time bank.

LG- Decide on the set-up right away. Set up diagram, rules, and inference quickly. Finish linear and grouping games in 7 minutes or less and come back at the end to recheck any "could be true" questions.

Am I over thinking this or do you guys also use similar strategies?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”