The Official June 2014 Study Group

sprinky07
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:05 am

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby sprinky07 » Wed May 21, 2014 9:48 pm

tfinndogm wrote:got my official "LSAC NOTIFICATION" email about what to bring for test day, etc. Also, online my ticket print date has been moved to next week. ack.


Mine did too! Anybody have suggestions on where to get the picture taken or is it a DIY kinda thing?

rebexness
Posts: 4163
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:24 am

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby rebexness » Wed May 21, 2014 10:10 pm

sprinky07 wrote:
tfinndogm wrote:got my official "LSAC NOTIFICATION" email about what to bring for test day, etc. Also, online my ticket print date has been moved to next week. ack.


Mine did too! Anybody have suggestions on where to get the picture taken or is it a DIY kinda thing?


Just do go somewhere like UPS store or w/e like you were getting a passport photo

User avatar
BaberhamLincoln
Posts: 2973
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:50 pm

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby BaberhamLincoln » Wed May 21, 2014 10:13 pm

Went to Walmart last year even though I hate that place/company. Cheap and fast

Learn_Live_Hope
Posts: 1016
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:33 pm

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby Learn_Live_Hope » Wed May 21, 2014 10:17 pm

leigh912198972 wrote:Went to Walmart last year even though I hate that place/company. Cheap and fast


Don't like their pics…but then again we are not in the modeling competition :lol:

User avatar
alexrodriguez
Posts: 841
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 4:59 am

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby alexrodriguez » Wed May 21, 2014 10:23 pm


akechi
Posts: 74
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:38 am

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby akechi » Wed May 21, 2014 11:29 pm

Hey all,

For those of you who like to categorize and catalog all of your LR misses / mistakes, how do you go about doing so? I have been using a really caveman-ish approach by simply typing up my mistakes in a single word file. For example, if I missed a question during my Cambridge Weaken packet drilling, I would write:

PT6-S4-Q10; Conclusion: Blah Blah; Premise: Blah Blah; Original Analysis: Blah Blah; Revised / Correct Analysis: Blah Blah; Answer Choices: Blah Blah.

However, this method is incredibly disorganized and does not really work all that well as a study tool. I have been doing this for a couple weeks and its incredibly difficult to see a pattern to my mistakes; instead, I just see a wall of text that I have to sift through in order to match up my mistakes to previous mistakes. I was hoping someone had a better method to keep track of one's mistakes in an organized and readable fashion. I have also tried organizing my mistakes per Mike Kim's suggestion of creating broad / general templates such as: 1) "Read it wrong" which encompasses, incorrectly IDing the conclusion, not understanding the reasoning, etc, 2) "Thought it wrong" 3) "Solved it wrong". However, even with these distinctions, I feel like merely typing these sub-divided mistakes into a single word file would still be an incredibly inefficient way to organize my mistakes.

Would anyone like to share their method for filing their list of mistakes?

agalfano
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:32 pm

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby agalfano » Thu May 22, 2014 9:46 am

While I can't help you bey speaking to any of your issues, I just want to say job well done on your improvement. I remember w time when you were struggling, but now you have busted through to LG and LR domination.

I hope to be there with you one day![/quote]


Thanks for the encouragement! and I feel with this test LR at some point (with tons and tons of prep) just clicks! Obviously I'm not at a point where I'm going -0 or -1... but considering I was in the -10 range prior and now I feel that I cut that in half.. It will come! and like everything it takes hard work! Now I just need RC to click :oops:

User avatar
alexrodriguez
Posts: 841
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 4:59 am

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby alexrodriguez » Thu May 22, 2014 12:07 pm

akechi wrote:Hey all,

For those of you who like to categorize and catalog all of your LR misses / mistakes, how do you go about doing so? I have been using a really caveman-ish approach by simply typing up my mistakes in a single word file. For example, if I missed a question during my Cambridge Weaken packet drilling, I would write:

PT6-S4-Q10; Conclusion: Blah Blah; Premise: Blah Blah; Original Analysis: Blah Blah; Revised / Correct Analysis: Blah Blah; Answer Choices: Blah Blah.

However, this method is incredibly disorganized and does not really work all that well as a study tool. I have been doing this for a couple weeks and its incredibly difficult to see a pattern to my mistakes; instead, I just see a wall of text that I have to sift through in order to match up my mistakes to previous mistakes. I was hoping someone had a better method to keep track of one's mistakes in an organized and readable fashion. I have also tried organizing my mistakes per Mike Kim's suggestion of creating broad / general templates such as: 1) "Read it wrong" which encompasses, incorrectly IDing the conclusion, not understanding the reasoning, etc, 2) "Thought it wrong" 3) "Solved it wrong". However, even with these distinctions, I feel like merely typing these sub-divided mistakes into a single word file would still be an incredibly inefficient way to organize my mistakes.

Would anyone like to share their method for filing their list of mistakes?


I think it's beneficial that you are writing out the solutions, but I don't think organizing your errors by type will do anything but make you more organized. I personally don't write out anything. I sort of just learn from each problem and move on. I have a rough idea of what mistakes I'm prone too without the data.

I know Walt Grace has hundreds of LR questions written out, but I doubt he's organized them by error type. Seems kind of time consuming.

User avatar
nothingtosee
Posts: 865
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 12:08 am

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby nothingtosee » Thu May 22, 2014 12:20 pm

louierodriguez wrote:
akechi wrote:Hey all,

For those of you who like to categorize and catalog all of your LR misses / mistakes, how do you go about doing so? I have been using a really caveman-ish approach by simply typing up my mistakes in a single word file. For example, if I missed a question during my Cambridge Weaken packet drilling, I would write:

PT6-S4-Q10; Conclusion: Blah Blah; Premise: Blah Blah; Original Analysis: Blah Blah; Revised / Correct Analysis: Blah Blah; Answer Choices: Blah Blah.

However, this method is incredibly disorganized and does not really work all that well as a study tool. I have been doing this for a couple weeks and its incredibly difficult to see a pattern to my mistakes; instead, I just see a wall of text that I have to sift through in order to match up my mistakes to previous mistakes. I was hoping someone had a better method to keep track of one's mistakes in an organized and readable fashion. I have also tried organizing my mistakes per Mike Kim's suggestion of creating broad / general templates such as: 1) "Read it wrong" which encompasses, incorrectly IDing the conclusion, not understanding the reasoning, etc, 2) "Thought it wrong" 3) "Solved it wrong". However, even with these distinctions, I feel like merely typing these sub-divided mistakes into a single word file would still be an incredibly inefficient way to organize my mistakes.

Would anyone like to share their method for filing their list of mistakes?


I think it's beneficial that you are writing out the solutions, but I don't think organizing your errors by type will do anything but make you more organized. I personally don't write out anything. I sort of just learn from each problem and move on. I have a rough idea of what mistakes I'm prone too without the data.

I know Walt Grace has hundreds of LR questions written out, but I doubt he's organized them by error type. Seems kind of time consuming.


Gonna jump in (keep going everyone! You can do it!).

I made a huge word doc with two uneven columns- the right column I could fold behind. I printed them, then sorted by type, and paperclipped types together. Running through right consecutive sufficient assumption mistakes really helped me find concrete holes.

I would do about four of these cards, and one LG as a warmup, both before PTing and I test day (I started this after 7sage showed I was missing two more on the first section regardless of what kind of section). For a couple weeks before the real test, I put my flash area next to the toilet. Not gonna say you need to do that, but what else are you gonna do wit that time?

User avatar
givemea180
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:01 am

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby givemea180 » Thu May 22, 2014 7:52 pm

Still can't get out of the mid-high 160s. Going to postpone until September.

Goodbye summer

Learn_Live_Hope
Posts: 1016
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:33 pm

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby Learn_Live_Hope » Thu May 22, 2014 8:19 pm

givemea180 wrote:Still can't get out of the mid-high 160s. Going to postpone until September.

Goodbye summer


Are you sure about postponing? You still have more than two weeks left...

User avatar
givemea180
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:01 am

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby givemea180 » Thu May 22, 2014 8:38 pm

Learn_Live_Hope wrote:
givemea180 wrote:Still can't get out of the mid-high 160s. Going to postpone until September.

Goodbye summer


Are you sure about postponing? You still have more than two weeks left...


I just know I won't improve enough to be hitting the low 170's in two weeks. I've toyed with the idea of taking the test in June as a dry run for September but don't want a low score on my record or to use up one of my takes when I know I can't get a score I would apply to law schools with.

Learn_Live_Hope
Posts: 1016
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:33 pm

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby Learn_Live_Hope » Thu May 22, 2014 8:44 pm

givemea180 wrote:
Learn_Live_Hope wrote:
givemea180 wrote:Still can't get out of the mid-high 160s. Going to postpone until September.

Goodbye summer


Are you sure about postponing? You still have more than two weeks left...


I just know I won't improve enough to be hitting the low 170's in two weeks. I've toyed with the idea of taking the test in June as a dry run for September but don't want a low score on my record or to use up one of my takes when I know I can't get a score I would apply to law schools with.


You do? I understand the reasoning i just hoped there was a way you could improve to achieve your desired score…

What was your latest PT?

rebexness
Posts: 4163
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:24 am

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby rebexness » Thu May 22, 2014 8:48 pm

givemea180 wrote:
I just know I won't improve enough to be hitting the low 170's in two weeks. I've toyed with the idea of taking the test in June as a dry run for September but don't want a low score on my record or to use up one of my takes when I know I can't get a score I would apply to law schools with.


Sounds like the right idea. I wish I could do that.

Learn_Live_Hope
Posts: 1016
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:33 pm

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby Learn_Live_Hope » Thu May 22, 2014 8:50 pm

rebexness wrote:
givemea180 wrote:
I just know I won't improve enough to be hitting the low 170's in two weeks. I've toyed with the idea of taking the test in June as a dry run for September but don't want a low score on my record or to use up one of my takes when I know I can't get a score I would apply to law schools with.


Sounds like the right idea. I wish I could do that.



Why?

rebexness
Posts: 4163
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:24 am

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby rebexness » Thu May 22, 2014 8:53 pm

Learn_Live_Hope wrote:
rebexness wrote:
givemea180 wrote:
I just know I won't improve enough to be hitting the low 170's in two weeks. I've toyed with the idea of taking the test in June as a dry run for September but don't want a low score on my record or to use up one of my takes when I know I can't get a score I would apply to law schools with.


Sounds like the right idea. I wish I could do that.



Why?


Wait until September? Because I'm not ready?

Learn_Live_Hope
Posts: 1016
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:33 pm

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby Learn_Live_Hope » Thu May 22, 2014 8:56 pm

rebexness wrote:
Learn_Live_Hope wrote:
rebexness wrote:
givemea180 wrote:
I just know I won't improve enough to be hitting the low 170's in two weeks. I've toyed with the idea of taking the test in June as a dry run for September but don't want a low score on my record or to use up one of my takes when I know I can't get a score I would apply to law schools with.


Sounds like the right idea. I wish I could do that.



Why?


Wait until September? Because I'm not ready?


why can't you way until september? …unless you are using this score for scholarship and/or waitlist purposes.

rebexness
Posts: 4163
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:24 am

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby rebexness » Thu May 22, 2014 9:50 pm

Idk. I hate October and I want to apply early. My attention would like go elsewhere with more time. Just feeling the crunch.

Gonna take a completely untimed PT for an ego boost tonight.

Learn_Live_Hope
Posts: 1016
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:33 pm

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby Learn_Live_Hope » Thu May 22, 2014 9:54 pm

rebexness wrote:Idk. I hate October and I want to apply early. My attention would like go elsewhere with more time. Just feeling the crunch.

Gonna take a completely untimed PT for an ego boost tonight.


I should do that...

User avatar
WaltGrace83
Posts: 719
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:55 pm

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby WaltGrace83 » Thu May 22, 2014 10:42 pm

Just wanted to come in and say that I haven't died.

I graduated last Friday, spent the entire weekend in ceremonies/dinners/lunches/hanging with friends, helped people move out of their apartment, etc. Now I am leaving town for my other brother's graduation tomorrow. I will come back to LSAT on monday - giving myself about a week and a half of not doing ANYTHING LSAT related. I hope it will be good for me after spending about a month of tons of studying with hardly any days off.

User avatar
jk148706
Posts: 2499
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 11:14 am

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby jk148706 » Thu May 22, 2014 11:29 pm

.
Last edited by jk148706 on Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Calbears123
Posts: 240
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:38 am

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby Calbears123 » Thu May 22, 2014 11:34 pm

rebexness wrote:
Calbears123 wrote:I'm not doing any more prep past June 5th, and my last PT will be untimed. I'm not going to destroy my confidence


Interesting idea about doing the last PT untimed. I may consider this.


Yeah I think its a good idea. I've been doing my PT in order so my last one will be last December (PT 71). I've been averaging 170 and the last thing I want to do is take PT71 and hit a 160 a few days before the real test.

User avatar
dd235
Posts: 210
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:33 am

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby dd235 » Fri May 23, 2014 1:03 am

Calbears123 wrote:
rebexness wrote:
Calbears123 wrote:I'm not doing any more prep past June 5th, and my last PT will be untimed. I'm not going to destroy my confidence


Interesting idea about doing the last PT untimed. I may consider this.


Yeah I think its a good idea. I've been doing my PT in order so my last one will be last December (PT 71). I've been averaging 170 and the last thing I want to do is take PT71 and hit a 160 a few days before the real test.


I understand your logic, but i would really recommend taking 70 and 71 earlier rather than later. These tests are going to be most similar to the actual test and it would be nice to have ample time to review them.

rebexness
Posts: 4163
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:24 am

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby rebexness » Fri May 23, 2014 2:13 am

Cosign was DD is saying. I'd use a nice friendly 50s PT for your untimed last section. All of the 60s to current should be done in test conditions.

User avatar
alexrodriguez
Posts: 841
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 4:59 am

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby alexrodriguez » Fri May 23, 2014 2:34 am

Arnold Schwarzenegger scored a 180

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh411Gg8DRg




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cocotruffles, Lahtso Nuggin, ngogirl12, proteinshake, Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests