The Official June 2014 Study Group

agalfano
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:32 pm

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby agalfano » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:17 pm

Blind review always. ALWAYS.[/quote]


Sounds Good! I was always so anxious to see if I got answers right rather than completely analyzing them. I would see if I got it right, and then go to Manhattan Forum and skim the response to see why I got it wrong. This ineffective approach showed on my last PT! Thanks for the help!, hoping to increase my LR score significantly from this point forward!!!

User avatar
alexrodriguez
Posts: 841
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 4:59 am

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby alexrodriguez » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:16 pm

WaltGrace83 wrote:
rebexness wrote:
louierodriguez wrote:Anyhow, time for PT 37. I'll blind review it after and do more review of LR and LG from PT 36 later.


Can I ask why you would want to do another PT if you haven't finished reviewing the first one? How many are you doing per week?


I am wondering this as well. I may suggest slowing down a bit.


I finished reviewing PT 36. I plan of reviewing parts of every PT twice. I'm doing a PT every other day. I'm basically dedicating every waking hour to the LSAT besides my gym time.

Going to find time to drill in between all this as well.

rebexness
Posts: 4163
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:24 am

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby rebexness » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:19 pm

louierodriguez wrote:
I finished reviewing PT 36. I plan of reviewing parts of every PT twice. I'm doing a PT every other day. I'm basically dedicating every waking hour to the LSAT besides my gym time.

Going to find time to drill in between all this as well.


I really dont think this method is going to serve you well. You need to have a strong grasp on fundamentals before you begin PTing, or you can easily, easily slip into really bad habits.

I would suggest dedicating the next month to drilling ONLY and the books, with maybe 1 PT (untimed?) per week. You can't rush this test.

User avatar
WaltGrace83
Posts: 719
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:55 pm

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby WaltGrace83 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:43 pm

rebexness wrote:
louierodriguez wrote:
I finished reviewing PT 36. I plan of reviewing parts of every PT twice. I'm doing a PT every other day. I'm basically dedicating every waking hour to the LSAT besides my gym time.

Going to find time to drill in between all this as well.


I really dont think this method is going to serve you well. You need to have a strong grasp on fundamentals before you begin PTing, or you can easily, easily slip into really bad habits.

I would suggest dedicating the next month to drilling ONLY and the books, with maybe 1 PT (untimed?) per week. You can't rush this test.


Agreed. You aren't PTing in the 170s or anything so theres no point in practicing in hopes that practicing is going to make you better. It will probably make you more consistent, sure, but if you aren't reaching your goals when it comes to simply getting questions right during drilling then PTing probably isn't going to do much. I could be wrong - but I don't think I am.

User avatar
alexrodriguez
Posts: 841
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 4:59 am

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby alexrodriguez » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:39 pm

The way I see it though... by taking nothing but practice exams I am drilling. I'm drilling the LSAT the way in which I'll be tested on it.

I don't want to be stubborn... but this is my rationale.

I haven't finished my blind review of 37 yet, but I was much more comfortable with the test compared to 36. Timing was better, my tempo was better, my emotions were in control.

I had time left over on everything but logic games.

I scored a 154 without blind review compared to my 146 two days ago.

PT 37

RC -12 (I really need to work on RC)
LR -6
LG -9 (I know this is just because it's been over a month since I've drilled games)
LR -8

Comes to a 154.

Only had time to Blind Review LR so far.

Was only able to change one answer from each. So thats -12 instead of -14. Still sucks.

I'll do a blind review of RC tomorrow morning. Re-do the games, and then review the entire test on 7SAGE.

How do you guys review exams? I have 7sage so I basically just watch the explanations to every question I had trouble with.

User avatar
alexrodriguez
Posts: 841
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 4:59 am

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby alexrodriguez » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:42 pm

I'll also try to make comparisons on what I missed on 36 and what I missed on 37 and try to come up with some idea of what it is that's tripping me up.

User avatar
alexrodriguez
Posts: 841
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 4:59 am

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby alexrodriguez » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:44 pm

So happy to be studying full time! I know I'm going to be making strong gains in the near future.

User avatar
givemea180
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:01 am

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby givemea180 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:23 pm

Anyone else using Velocity for LG? Been using it for the past couple weeks and it's amazing how much my LG performance has improved

McBrunson
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:10 pm

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby McBrunson » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:33 pm

givemea180 wrote:Anyone else using Velocity for LG? Been using it for the past couple weeks and it's amazing how much my LG performance has improved


What makes Velocity so great for LG? Thinking of purchasing.

And where were you at before you started Velocity? Would like to get a general idea of how big of an improvement you actually made. Thanks!

User avatar
givemea180
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:01 am

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby givemea180 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:46 pm

McBrunson wrote:
givemea180 wrote:Anyone else using Velocity for LG? Been using it for the past couple weeks and it's amazing how much my LG performance has improved


What makes Velocity so great for LG? Thinking of purchasing.

And where were you at before you started Velocity? Would like to get a general idea of how big of an improvement you actually made. Thanks!


I've gone from around -10 per section to around -3 in roughly 3 weeks.

The main difference I've seen in the system is that it emphasizes creating one "master" diagram that you put all your hypos into instead of creating a bunch of different scattered diagrams and an untouched main one containing the rules. I've also enjoyed the video aspect as I think it helps break the monotony of constant reading and doing games. I saw a thread started by the guy who runs Velocity (Dave Hall) the other day and he'd probably answer any questions you have better than I could.

As an addendum, I have put more time in since buying the course than I had when messing around with the BP LG book due to needing improvement. I've also begun to like logic games as I'm getting better so that helps

10052014
Posts: 590
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:12 am

.

Postby 10052014 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:04 pm

.
Last edited by 10052014 on Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
dardardelight
Posts: 99
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:17 pm

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby dardardelight » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:14 pm

I hope you clinch 170 on this PT, jaylawyer.

I'm waiting till the weekend to take PT 42 and 43. If I clinch 170 on either of these, I will be the happiest man.

10052014
Posts: 590
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:12 am

.

Postby 10052014 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:23 pm

.
Last edited by 10052014 on Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
BillPackets
Posts: 2159
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:56 pm

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby BillPackets » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:31 pm

louierodriguez wrote:So happy to be studying full time! I know I'm going to be making strong gains in the near future.


How long have you been devoting every waking hour besides going to the gym to PTing/practicing? Sometimes when I take a break from a certain question type/section and then come back to it, it seems so much easier and I understand so much better. It's all about dem gainzzzz though.

User avatar
alexrodriguez
Posts: 841
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 4:59 am

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby alexrodriguez » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:53 pm

BillPackets wrote:
louierodriguez wrote:So happy to be studying full time! I know I'm going to be making strong gains in the near future.


How long have you been devoting every waking hour besides going to the gym to PTing/practicing? Sometimes when I take a break from a certain question type/section and then come back to it, it seems so much easier and I understand so much better. It's all about dem gainzzzz though.


Last Sunday was what kicked it off. Did a PT in the food court of my mall and scored a 146. 154 today. I'll only improve. After blind review most of my scores are usually between 159-163. I know I'll be making progress the higher that blind review score goes.

User avatar
alexrodriguez
Posts: 841
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 4:59 am

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby alexrodriguez » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:54 pm

jaylawyer09 wrote:
dardardelight wrote:I hope you clinch 170 on this PT, jaylawyer.

I'm waiting till the weekend to take PT 42 and 43. If I clinch 170 on either of these, I will be the happiest man.


well, I have already clinched 170, thankfully. on PT A (170), and PT B (171)

I really do not know why, but it happened on those old, super prep tests. I have had 3 or so 168s also.

But man, I need that 180!!


Jay, you are a beast.

I remember telling you that I disliked your avatar.

After reconsideration, I've decided it's perfect.

10052014
Posts: 590
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:12 am

.

Postby 10052014 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:18 am

.
Last edited by 10052014 on Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
santoki
Posts: 867
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:19 pm

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby santoki » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:36 am

I've noticed that the curve has been much more forgiving lately- predictions on our test's curve? (minimum wrong to hit 170)

http://www.cambridgelsat.com/resources/ ... on-charts/

User avatar
alexrodriguez
Posts: 841
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 4:59 am

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby alexrodriguez » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:10 am

Jay Lawyer, tell me about your process for reviewing a PT.

10052014
Posts: 590
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:12 am

.

Postby 10052014 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:29 am

.
Last edited by 10052014 on Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
alexrodriguez
Posts: 841
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 4:59 am

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby alexrodriguez » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:39 am

sounds like fun

User avatar
alexrodriguez
Posts: 841
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 4:59 am

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby alexrodriguez » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:00 pm

PT 37

RC Passage 2

Couldn't help but wonder if this lady was hot or not.

Turns out not so much.

Sometimes I forget that I'm reading about real things during RC. It think it sort of gives a better perspective when you realize you could actually learn something from reading these passages.

Straw_Mandible
Posts: 314
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:10 pm

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby Straw_Mandible » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:18 pm

louierodriguez wrote:PT 37

RC Passage 2

Couldn't help but wonder if this lady was hot or not.

Turns out not so much.

Sometimes I forget that I'm reading about real things during RC. It think it sort of gives a better perspective when you realize you could actually learn something from reading these passages.


--ImageRemoved--

Meet Marie Curie ^

rebexness
Posts: 4163
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:24 am

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby rebexness » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:21 pm

louierodriguez wrote:PT 37

RC Passage 2

Couldn't help but wonder if this lady was hot or not.

Turns out not so much.

Sometimes I forget that I'm reading about real things during RC. It think it sort of gives a better perspective when you realize you could actually learn something from reading these passages.


Thats almost the opposite of the point though. You aren't supposed to be trying to memorize the information in any of the passages.

User avatar
WaltGrace83
Posts: 719
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:55 pm

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby WaltGrace83 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:29 pm

Is PT 43's LR (especially S3) especially easy or something? Why did I just crush it hardcore? Am I getting better or am I just deceiving myself :cry:




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BobBoblaw, cherrygalore, CHyde, Lahtso Nuggin and 14 guests