The Official June 2014 Study Group

10052014
Posts: 590
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:12 am

.

Postby 10052014 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:44 pm

.
Last edited by 10052014 on Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
dardardelight
Posts: 99
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:17 pm

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby dardardelight » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:18 pm

Hahah I'd say so, jaylawyer. You have a lot more leverage with that high gpa. I'd say as long as you break 170, you'll be okay (assuming that you didn't go to a terrible undergrad college and have solid recs/Personal statement)

For me, I'd need at least a 172 and an ED application. Hopefully, I'll see you in morningside : ) we have a long way to go, however, and June is coming : /

bleakchimera2
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:18 pm

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby bleakchimera2 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:35 pm

:evil: Second practice test (from last week's 166): 167. Took preptest A, and LG completely ruined me. Again.

LR1: -1
RC: -3
LG: -8 (wtfffff)
LR2: -1

I completely blanked on the third game. I skipped it, came back to it (with admittedly not really enough time to do it right anyway)... but still couldn't do it. Completely absolutely nothing. After staring at it for a minute or so, I panicked and filled in all C's, which panicked me more and... yup. Logic games, bane of my existence. I haven't even done anything BUT prep LG specifically (besides the two full tests) for weeks, and not only am I not improving, I seem to be getting worse! Back to 7Sage...

Related: anyone have an opinion on actually drilling the 7Sage way? Like instead of waiting several days in between repetition of games, repeat them over and over in one sitting? I feel like I'd just be memorizing particular games, but at this point I'm frustrated enough to try anything.

User avatar
alexrodriguez
Posts: 841
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 4:59 am

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby alexrodriguez » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:12 pm

PT 36 - I took this PT in the food court of my mall.

LR -14
RC -17
LR -6
LG -12 (Really embarrassing. Use it or lose it)

Comes to a 146

After Blind Review

LR -9
RC -5
LR -6
LG -0 (Haven't actually blind reviewed the games yet, but trust me. It's -0)

Comes to a 163


I'm going to take another 35 PT's up until test day. I think I'll be alright.

User avatar
alexrodriguez
Posts: 841
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 4:59 am

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby alexrodriguez » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:14 pm

I'm really going to give it my best shot, but I know I'm not scoring in the 170's.

If I hit anywhere between 160-165 I'll be good to go. Just being realistic.

10052014
Posts: 590
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:12 am

.

Postby 10052014 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:39 pm

.
Last edited by 10052014 on Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
180kickflip
Posts: 377
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:45 pm

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby 180kickflip » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:43 pm

dardardelight wrote:Hahah I'd say so, jaylawyer. You have a lot more leverage with that high gpa. I'd say as long as you break 170, you'll be okay (assuming that you didn't go to a terrible undergrad college and have solid recs/Personal statement)

For me, I'd need at least a 172 and an ED application. Hopefully, I'll see you in morningside : ) we have a long way to go, however, and June is coming : /


...
Last edited by 180kickflip on Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

10052014
Posts: 590
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:12 am

.

Postby 10052014 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:49 pm

.
Last edited by 10052014 on Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
dd235
Posts: 210
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:33 am

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby dd235 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:55 pm

Ya PT C is one of the harder ones... you are definitely not alone!

I just got back from my spring break. Gettin back into the thick of things starting tomorrow. I am planning on taking a PT tomorrow and blind reviewing it on Tuesday, and then reading the Manhattan LR book starting wednesday (its the only major LR book I haven’t read yet and I’ve heard pretty good things about it).

How long do you guys think it will take me to get through Manhattan LR? I plan on spending about 5 or 6 hours a day reading it and drilling.

User avatar
myoung7189
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:51 am

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby myoung7189 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:27 am

superpep A

EXP (PT 41) RC -0
LR1 -2
RC -2
LG -6 (bangs head against table repeatedly)
LR2 -2

168

Trying to stay positive and that's is tough for a cynic like me. So, I'm grateful for the RC scores because it is by far my worst section. Don't feel too bad bleakchimera2 about the third game because it pillaged me as well.

avocatchat
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:34 pm

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby avocatchat » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:39 am

.
Last edited by avocatchat on Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
WaltGrace83
Posts: 719
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:55 pm

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby WaltGrace83 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:07 pm

avocatchat wrote:What's the best way to improve speed on LG?

I got -1 with ease on my diagnostic so I wasn't too worried about this section, but I've taken two PTs since then and gotten -9 and -11 solely due to running out of time! :(
It seems weird that when I had no idea what I was getting into, I completed it faster than I can now, when I know what to expect... am I overthinking?

I know it's probably just a matter of practicing more, but are there any particular study methods that are better for improving speed? Drill individual problem sets or whole sections, or separate by game type, or something else?


It's not speed, it's process. You should only run out of time if you are using the "plug and chug" method on more than a few questions per section. I'd recommend you analyze your process by going through 7sage videos. It's all about making those inferences and connecting the dots. Don't work faster; work smarter. This goes for the whole LSAT to be honest.

User avatar
santoki
Posts: 867
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:19 pm

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby santoki » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:34 pm

avocatchat wrote:What's the best way to improve speed on LG?

I got -1 with ease on my diagnostic so I wasn't too worried about this section, but I've taken two PTs since then and gotten -9 and -11 solely due to running out of time! :(
It seems weird that when I had no idea what I was getting into, I completed it faster than I can now, when I know what to expect... am I overthinking?

I know it's probably just a matter of practicing more, but are there any particular study methods that are better for improving speed? Drill individual problem sets or whole sections, or separate by game type, or something else?


one small tip that i've found helps is that when you are actually going through the questions and you create some hypotheticals, make sure that you mark which ones are valid and which ones are not so that as you go forward you know which ones you can use and which ones not.

its minor but it can save considerable time!

Straw_Mandible
Posts: 314
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:10 pm

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby Straw_Mandible » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:36 pm

WaltGrace83 wrote:
It's not speed, it's process. You should only run out of time if you are using the "plug and chug" method on more than a few questions per section. I'd recommend you analyze your process by going through 7sage videos. It's all about making those inferences and connecting the dots. Don't work faster; work smarter. This goes for the whole LSAT to be honest.


This, to the 180th power. Well said.

User avatar
santoki
Posts: 867
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:19 pm

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby santoki » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:09 pm

i know this is the wrong forum, but people ITT seem to be more chill than those in other boards. just a quick question- when will we know what the new GPA/LSAT medians/percentiles are for the new rankings?

rebexness
Posts: 4163
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:24 am

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby rebexness » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:10 pm

santoki wrote:i know this is the wrong forum, but people ITT seem to be more chill than those in other boards. just a quick question- when will we know what the new GPA/LSAT medians/percentiles are for the new rankings?


They were released in September. Class of 2017 data.

User avatar
santoki
Posts: 867
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:19 pm

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby santoki » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:45 pm

rebexness wrote:
santoki wrote:i know this is the wrong forum, but people ITT seem to be more chill than those in other boards. just a quick question- when will we know what the new GPA/LSAT medians/percentiles are for the new rankings?


They were released in September. Class of 2017 data.


after a ton of searching, im guessing (hoping) you mean the c/o 2016 data released in august?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... XZnc#gid=0

User avatar
dardardelight
Posts: 99
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:17 pm

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby dardardelight » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:01 pm

myoung7189 wrote:superpep A

EXP (PT 41) RC -0
LR1 -2
RC -2
LG -6 (bangs head against table repeatedly)
LR2 -2

168

Trying to stay positive and that's is tough for a cynic like me. So, I'm grateful for the RC scores because it is by far my worst section. Don't feel too bad bleakchimera2 about the third game because it pillaged me as well.


I just took the same exact PT and scored pretty much the same . That 4th circular LG game was killer for me too . I usually get like -6 on RC, but I scored -3 on this one, so I'm with you there. Do you think the RC section for this PT was abnormally easy ? I'd like to think we're just getting better :?

avocatchat
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:34 pm

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby avocatchat » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:41 pm

.
Last edited by avocatchat on Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

10052014
Posts: 590
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:12 am

.

Postby 10052014 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:23 pm

.
Last edited by 10052014 on Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
givemea180
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:01 am

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby givemea180 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:30 pm

So if I don't get at least a 170 in June I'm retaking. Posting g here for the extra accountability. Anyone else have a hard number cutoff for a retake?

10052014
Posts: 590
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:12 am

.

Postby 10052014 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:31 pm

.
Last edited by 10052014 on Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
180kickflip
Posts: 377
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:45 pm

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby 180kickflip » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:37 pm

jaylawyer09 wrote:
givemea180 wrote:So if I don't get at least a 170 in June I'm retaking. Posting g here for the extra accountability. Anyone else have a hard number cutoff for a retake?


same, 170 for me.


...
Last edited by 180kickflip on Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
givemea180
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:01 am

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby givemea180 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:42 pm

jaylawyer09 wrote:
givemea180 wrote:So if I don't get at least a 170 in June I'm retaking. Posting g here for the extra accountability. Anyone else have a hard number cutoff for a retake?


same, 170 for me.


Freedom from this test hanging over my head is enough motivation for me to keep grinding away towards that score.

Also talked to a friend today who got a 173 on the real deal after his highest pt was a 167. Obviously not TCR but just a little extra hope for everyone who needs those few points.

User avatar
givemea180
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:01 am

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby givemea180 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:01 am

180kickflip wrote:
jaylawyer09 wrote:
givemea180 wrote:So if I don't get at least a 170 in June I'm retaking. Posting g here for the extra accountability. Anyone else have a hard number cutoff for a retake?


same, 170 for me.


Same. But I'll def. be happy with anything 167+


It will be really hard to put the effort into retaking if I'm only a few points short




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bearedman8, BobBoblaw, sodomojo and 9 guests