The Official June 2014 Study Group

10052014
Posts: 590
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:12 am

.

Postby 10052014 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:53 am

.
Last edited by 10052014 on Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
alexrodriguez
Posts: 841
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 4:59 am

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby alexrodriguez » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:45 am

Stop slacking off, slacker.

(directed towards slackers)

User avatar
alexrodriguez
Posts: 841
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 4:59 am

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby alexrodriguez » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:15 am

Not sure if it's because I haven't done any games in like two weeks or if the games in pt 41 are just a little bit difficult.

Straw_Mandible
Posts: 314
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:10 pm

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby Straw_Mandible » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:23 pm

louierodriguez wrote:Not sure if it's because I haven't done any games in like two weeks or if the games in pt 41 are just a little bit difficult.


No, you're right, they're weird. The second game (complex ordering of songs/instruments) seemed intimidating at first, but it ended up being super easy to solve by splitting it up into 4 scenarios. But then came the circular game. Which was circular. It took a bunch of strange-looking hypos and a whole lot of thinking on your feet.

User avatar
sephora_addict
Posts: 144
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:09 pm

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby sephora_addict » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:44 pm

Just got my prep books in the mail. So excited to start prepping!!!!!! :D

User avatar
famousblueraincoat
Posts: 72
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:31 pm

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby famousblueraincoat » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:17 pm

louierodriguez wrote:Stop slacking off, slacker.

(directed towards slackers)


*actively slacking*

User avatar
mist4bison
Posts: 1549
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:17 pm

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby mist4bison » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:42 pm

.
Last edited by mist4bison on Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

10052014
Posts: 590
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:12 am

.

Postby 10052014 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:35 pm

.
Last edited by 10052014 on Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
mist4bison
Posts: 1549
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:17 pm

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby mist4bison » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:16 pm

.
Last edited by mist4bison on Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
alexrodriguez
Posts: 841
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 4:59 am

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby alexrodriguez » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:40 am

jaylawyer09 wrote:Woops, looks like we need some motivation:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 22&t=79308

We have less than 4 months left!!!!


Great post. It's been about six or seven months since I've read this.

Haven't really had a lot of time to study lately. Military life has got me stressing.

MrsHuxtable
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:07 pm

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby MrsHuxtable » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:33 am

Started this morning by drilling 110 LG problems timed. I focused on basic ordering, relative ordering, tiered ordering, and mismatch ordering, essentially all the ordering games. I'm proud to report I only missed 12 questions. That's a huge improvement from where I started. I allowed myself 8 min. per game, but I was happy to see for many of the games I didn't need the full 8 min! Maybe I'll be ready for June 2014 after all. I can't wait to get back from work this evening and work on more LG mixed review and get back to LR with some flaw questions. Happy Prepping everyone! :mrgreen:

User avatar
sephora_addict
Posts: 144
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:09 pm

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby sephora_addict » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:37 am

MrsHuxtable wrote:Started this morning by drilling 110 LG problems timed. I focused on basic ordering, relative ordering, tiered ordering, and mismatch ordering, essentially all the ordering games. I'm proud to report I only missed 12 questions. That's a huge improvement from where I started. I allowed myself 8 min. per game, but I was happy to see for many of the games I didn't need the full 8 min! Maybe I'll be ready for June 2014 after all. I can't wait to get back from work this evening and work on more LG mixed review and get back to LR with some flaw questions. Happy Prepping everyone! :mrgreen:


Wow great job!!!!!! That is some awesome progress right there! Keep up the good work :)

User avatar
CocoSunshine
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:59 pm

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby CocoSunshine » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:48 pm

Check in! I planed to write the Feb LSAT in Asia (which is two weeks later), just withdrew since I haven't fully prepared. I am under great pressure these days since I am not even near my target score. Withdrawing is a truly relieve :D

I have studied full-time since the end of December. Went through part of LGB, Manhattan LR/RC, and the Trainer. My average is 0-1 on LG, 4-6 on 2 LR sections combined, and 4-8 on RC (It kills me). I will start school at the end of Feb. Hope to perfect my LR and greatly improve my RC in the next few months.

Any suggestion on how to improve RC is really, really appreciated. It's my biggest enemy :evil: As an international, language is in no doubt an issue. But most of the time I can understand what the passages say. I did most of the Main Idea/Structure/Attitude questions right. It is Inference/Detail which gives me most trouble.

Glad to meet you all here!

User avatar
tanes25
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:32 pm

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby tanes25 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:40 pm

So it looks like there was a circular LG on the February test. I've never even attempted one! Anybody think we'll see one in June? I need to find some games to start practicing I guess :?

rebexness
Posts: 4163
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:24 am

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby rebexness » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:44 pm

tanes25 wrote:So it looks like there was a circular LG on the February test. I've never even attempted one! Anybody think we'll see one in June? I need to find some games to start practicing I guess :?


I doubt we will, but its hard to say. The various blogs have been pretty good at predicting what kind of stuff we will see on the test- but I'm sure we won't see their predictions for June for a while.

That said, my prep includes every type of game.

User avatar
FlyingNorth
Posts: 408
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:25 am

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby FlyingNorth » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:56 pm

rebexness wrote:
tanes25 wrote:So it looks like there was a circular LG on the February test. I've never even attempted one! Anybody think we'll see one in June? I need to find some games to start practicing I guess :?


I doubt we will, but its hard to say. The various blogs have been pretty good at predicting what kind of stuff we will see on the test- but I'm sure we won't see their predictions for June for a while.

That said, my prep includes every type of game.


Yep. Don't depend on luck or it will bite you in the ass.

Just prepare for any possible curve ball so that you'll be able to tackle anything June throws at you.

Also, circle games aren't bad once you do a few of them. A little time consuming because it's an unfamiliar diagramming style, but you can get the hang of it quickly.

User avatar
famousblueraincoat
Posts: 72
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:31 pm

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby famousblueraincoat » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:39 pm

I think I've asked this before re: drilling, but how do you start? Someone mentioned that you can do some throughout studying or do a ton toward the end. Is that still TCR? I'm not sure whether to feel relieved when people are just starting to get their prep books now or terrified when others are doing well on drills already.

So many mixed messages D:

Straw_Mandible
Posts: 314
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:10 pm

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby Straw_Mandible » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:45 pm

famousblueraincoat wrote:I think I've asked this before re: drilling, but how do you start? Someone mentioned that you can do some throughout studying or do a ton toward the end. Is that still TCR? I'm not sure whether to feel relieved when people are just starting to get their prep books now or terrified when others are doing well on drills already.

So many mixed messages D:


You should do most of your drilling while you are reading your prep materials, and the rest between your early PTs. One of the main purposes of drilling is to reinforce the strategies and principles you are learning in the books. As soon as you read a lesson about a particular set of question types, go crack open your drilling packets and apply the lesson in practice. Then, once you start PTs, you can use the remaining drills in order to shore up your weaknesses. If you notice that you are consistently getting tripped up on flaw questions or in/out games, for example, then you should drill them with a view toward correcting whatever it is that you're doing wrong. That said, there isn't one "right" way to drill. It depends on your own personal strengths and weaknesses.

User avatar
WaltGrace83
Posts: 719
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:55 pm

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby WaltGrace83 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:27 pm

famousblueraincoat wrote:I think I've asked this before re: drilling, but how do you start? Someone mentioned that you can do some throughout studying or do a ton toward the end. Is that still TCR? I'm not sure whether to feel relieved when people are just starting to get their prep books now or terrified when others are doing well on drills already.

So many mixed messages D:


I will agree with the Mandible of Straw here. Drilling is important. Drilling should also be done after learning the technique. Why? Because this will tell you immediately if you actually understand what is going on or not. This is why I am taking a hiatus from the Trainer. I got up to Chapter 16 or so and now I am drilling the questions and reviewing as much as I can stand.

tanes25 wrote:So it looks like there was a circular LG on the February test. I've never even attempted one! Anybody think we'll see one in June? I need to find some games to start practicing I guess :?


I don't think so. Even when circle games were prevalent many years ago they didn't come up all that often, to my knowledge. However, you absolutely must practice them - not because we are likely to see them - but because how terrible would it be to be frightened of the LSAT? Not wanting a circle game because you don't know how to react will if only in the slightest bit hinder your focus and that is something we just don't need.

I think I am making some breakthroughs on these damn principle questions that I was having so much trouble with. I think the big thing that I have realized is that these, more so than other question type I think, are VERY heavily-dependent on the conclusion, similar to SA. Once I started repeating the conclusion to myself in my head, I think I am having a little better understanding of the wrong answers.

User avatar
famousblueraincoat
Posts: 72
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:31 pm

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby famousblueraincoat » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:42 pm

Crap! I just started Chapter 18 of the Trainer and haven't done any drills, save for the tiny ones written in to the text. Would you mind sharing which Cambridge packets you bought? I guess LG by type for PT 1-38 and the same thing for LR at this point? And we'll buy them all eventually? :oops:

rebexness
Posts: 4163
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:24 am

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby rebexness » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:58 pm

famousblueraincoat wrote:Crap! I just started Chapter 18 of the Trainer and haven't done any drills, save for the tiny ones written in to the text. Would you mind sharing which Cambridge packets you bought? I guess LG by type for PT 1-38 and the same thing for LR at this point? And we'll buy them all eventually? :oops:

If you haven't purchased PTs yet, I'd just buy one of the big bundles from Cambridge- they have 1-38ish by type, and 39-70 as full PTs.

User avatar
famousblueraincoat
Posts: 72
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:31 pm

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby famousblueraincoat » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:13 pm

I have 4 or 5 PT books. Would you recommend the $280 Ultimate Bundle? Or just to buy each section by type?

And is there any sort of guide you all are following that lets you know when to drill or are you working with one of the Trainer schedules and drilling as new concepts are learned? Is there any way to cross-reference what Mike classifies the problem types as vs Cambridge (ex. numbers issues, subsets, etc. equivalent for Cambridge)?

Sorry for all the questions. Kind of freaking out since I've been both slacking and studying incorrectly, apparently! :shock:

User avatar
mist4bison
Posts: 1549
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:17 pm

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby mist4bison » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:17 pm

.
Last edited by mist4bison on Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rebexness
Posts: 4163
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:24 am

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby rebexness » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:20 pm

famousblueraincoat wrote:I have 4 or 5 PT books. Would you recommend the $280 Ultimate Bundle? Or just to buy each section by type?

And is there any sort of guide you all are following that lets you know when to drill or are you working with one of the Trainer schedules and drilling as new concepts are learned?


What PT books do you mean? The "10 actuals" set or ?
Do you have other prep guides besides the trainer?

This
http://www.cambridgelsat.com/resources/ ... ion-types/
This link compares Q types by Cambridge/Manhattan/PS, and I'm pretty sure the Trainer uses pretty similar Q type names as Manhattan.

the Trainer schedule uses questions from PTs that you will definitely want to save for full PTs, so I would modify them and switch to Qs found in PTs 1-38.

User avatar
famousblueraincoat
Posts: 72
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:31 pm

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby famousblueraincoat » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:27 pm

mist4bison wrote:
famousblueraincoat wrote:Crap! I just started Chapter 18 of the Trainer and haven't done any drills, save for the tiny ones written in to the text. Would you mind sharing which Cambridge packets you bought? I guess LG by type for PT 1-38 and the same thing for LR at this point? And we'll buy them all eventually? :oops:


We are literally the same person. Haha :lol:

I bought the Extreme Endurance bundle. It's the one with 6-section tests. I would buy the bundle rather than the By Type, based on what I've read on TLS.

Just started drilling for reals last night. Drilled all relative ordering and complex ordering today and got -3 in all. Didn't time myself tonight though. Two misses were misreads. One was because I'm basically a dumb blonde.


Lol, see you in the September 2014 thread :p. How do you drill with full tests? Look up which tests have which types and do them from there?




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alexandros, Instrumental, Pozzo, proteinshake and 7 guests