The Official June 2014 Study Group

steel_shot

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Postby steel_shot » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:23 am

Daily_Double wrote:
louierodriguez wrote:I'm trying to look at this exam like it's a sport or a video game. I'm trying to get myself into the mindset of wanting to play it all the time. I want to be the best. I want a 180.

Nobody wants to do anything all the time. You're not a Pin Factory, you're subject to Diminishing returns. And this probably won't mean anything to you except metaphorically until you do the PTs in the upper 60s.

Sick PT 68 reference

Username123

Postby Username123 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:03 pm

Whatup everybody.

Gonna take the June '14 LSAT as well, so looking forward to chatting with you all. Goal is 180, more realistically 170+. Using Manhattan guides and the PS bibles. Drilling with Cambridge. If LG isn't -0/-1, then I'll be taking the LG Velocity course. RC is my weakest section, so I'm hoping this M RC guide is legit and if not, gonna focus on Voyager's. Applying '14-'15 to T14 & UT-Austin, assuming my LSAT score is high enough.

How's studying going for y'all? I'm about six months out from PT-ing seriously. I'm going to focus on perfecting all the question types until then. Working full-time too, so I'm only putting in a couple hours a week.

alexrodriguez

Postby alexrodriguez » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:55 am

Welcome to the thread Uschoolqb10.

Good to hear about another person getting all the basics down this far out from the real thing.

Any reason why you're going with Velocity over 7Sage? Just curious.

alexrodriguez

Postby alexrodriguez » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:10 am

PrepTest 10 - 157

It was untimed though. I realized on Saturday that I had already done the first section of the exam as part of my drilling so I decided not to do a timed PT. I've made serious gains within the last month or so. My first PT untimed was a 148. I'm most impressed with my gains in decreasing my incorrect answer choices. PrepTest 9 I had -46.

alexrodriguez

Postby alexrodriguez » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:54 am

I'm going to do these Preptests untimed: 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 18 and use the data from LsatQA to find out my weaknesses.

This will take me to the end of August.

By then I should have finished all the Bibles and Manhattan books. Hopefully make a dent in Ace the Logic Games too.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:58 am

That's def a better plan than doing them timed

magickware

Postby magickware » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:11 am

louierodriguez wrote:PrepTest 10 - 157

It was untimed though. I realized on Saturday that I had already done the first section of the exam as part of my drilling so I decided not to do a timed PT. I've made serious gains within the last month or so. My first PT untimed was a 148. I'm most impressed with my gains in decreasing my incorrect answer choices. PrepTest 9 I had -46.

Well, if it was untimed then it doesn't really matter either way.

The LSAT is difficult because of the time, and you'll notice this very quickly.

Username123

Postby Username123 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:00 pm

louierodriguez wrote:Welcome to the thread Uschoolqb10.

Good to hear about another person getting all the basics down this far out from the real thing.

Any reason why you're going with Velocity over 7Sage? Just curious.

No particular reason actually. A lot of people on this forum have been recommending Velocity LG as the go-to, but I honestly haven't looked into 7sage. From what I understand, 7sage offers free video explanations for certain games? If that's true, then I'm definitely going to use it.

In my diagnostic for this round of LSAT studying (I've studied for 3-4 weeks in a previous LSAT study round), I scored a 154 with LR and RC both being my weak points. From what I can gather, my weak points in LR are assumptions, weakens, and flaws, which basically the meat of the sections. For RC, my weakness is just general speed/comprehension. Give me 42 minutes and I'll get a consistent -5 on the section lol in 35 minutes, I'm like Jamarcus Russell taking the Wonderlic test.

jas1503

Postby jas1503 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:57 pm

Jamarcus Russell scored about 9 points higher than Jim Kelly, Dan Marino, and McNabb on the Wonderlic. Russell scored slightly higher than Favre and Tim Tebow on the test - and about the same as RG3 did.

The QB your analogy needed was Vince Young.

Username123

Postby Username123 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:11 pm

jas1503 wrote:Jamarcus Russell scored about 9 points higher than Jim Kelly, Dan Marino, and McNabb on the Wonderlic. Russell scored slightly higher than Favre and Tim Tebow on the test - and about the same as RG3 did.

The QB your analogy needed was Vince Young.

Ah, you're right. I'm actually shocked that Jamarcus' score was that high.

Well I stand corrected. My RC score is equivalent to the Wonderlic score of Vince Young.

steel_shot

Postby steel_shot » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:29 pm

Uh, I think you should just stick with drills for right now. 157 untimed is not that great of a score, so I'm thinking you need to learn the fundamentals first. Don't waste PTs like that.

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:40 pm

steel_shot wrote:

Uh, I think you should just stick with drills for right now. 157 untimed is not that great of a score, so I'm thinking you need to learn the fundamentals first. Don't waste PTs like that.

bombaysippin

Postby bombaysippin » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:02 pm

Don't want to have to read through everything, but I am sure someone must have said to get the cambridge packets for drilling...

I agree with everyone that has told OP to drill, drill, drill, and then drill some more. There really, REALLY, and if you could not tell, the emphasis on REALLY is no point and/or need for you to be doing full length PTs.

Not only is it a waste of material, but it is a waste of your time. Even though it seems you have plenty of time ahead of you, you want to make the most efficient use of it right?

You don't have the basics down for this exam, and until you do, you should not be doing full length PTs. Definitely not 5 section+ PTs either because that wastes even more time and material. It's not like you are practicing your endurance this ahead of the game when you can't answer the questions accurately enough to get one of your goal scores.

To do these tests to find out your weaknesses imo, is pretty dumb and/or just an excuse to waste material. Your weaknesses are most likely everything. Your prep has just started and you've already taken a diagnostic. That should tell you that you pretty much suck at everything (no offense, cause there have been countless TLSers there with you, including myself with terrible diag scores and terrible beginning prep), unless you are one of those natural born great LSAT takers.

TLDR: Get the Cambridge packets and don't take PTs until you learn the basics and have drilled enough to understand how this test works.

Username123

Postby Username123 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:57 pm

Bajam wrote:Don't want to have to read through everything, but I am sure someone must have said to get the cambridge packets for drilling...

I agree with everyone that has told OP to drill, drill, drill, and then drill some more. There really, REALLY, and if you could not tell, the emphasis on REALLY is no point and/or need for you to be doing full length PTs.

Not only is it a waste of material, but it is a waste of your time. Even though it seems you have plenty of time ahead of you, you want to make the most efficient use of it right?

You don't have the basics down for this exam, and until you do, you should not be doing full length PTs. Definitely not 5 section+ PTs either because that wastes even more time and material. It's not like you are practicing your endurance this ahead of the game when you can't answer the questions accurately enough to get one of your goal scores.

To do these tests to find out your weaknesses imo, is pretty dumb and/or just an excuse to waste material. Your weaknesses are most likely everything. Your prep has just started and you've already taken a diagnostic. That should tell you that you pretty much suck at everything (no offense, cause there have been countless TLSers there with you, including myself with terrible diag scores and terrible beginning prep), unless you are one of those natural born great LSAT takers.

TLDR: Get the Cambridge packets and don't take PTs until you learn the basics and have drilled enough to understand how this test works.

Quick question about the Cambridge packets (haven't actually bought them yet; was planning on buying this week after I get paid) : is it better to download the individual packets that are divided by type and difficulty from PT 1-38, or buy one of the sets that are priced just over $250? I remember reading somewhere that some of the purchase options are in PDF format so that buyers can re-download, while others are in paperback format and can't be used more than once like a PDF download.

And please excuse my inability to type or clearly structure my sentences. My IPhone screen is cracked and looks like the Matrix.

magickware

Postby magickware » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:21 pm

I liked being able to reuse my stuff whenever I felt the need to and for the retakes.

alexrodriguez

Postby alexrodriguez » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:42 am

Okay, so everyone keeps telling my to stop wasting full PT's and just start drilling.

What do you all mean by drilling?

Should I buy all these
http://www.cambridgelsat.com/problem-se ... reasoning/
and start going through the questions?

Is this what you all mean by drilling?

If I do buy these packets won't this give me too much familiarity with the questions and then give me a false idea of when I take actual preptests?

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:46 am

Last edited by Daily_Double on Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

magickware

Postby magickware » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:24 am

louierodriguez wrote:Okay, so everyone keeps telling my to stop wasting full PT's and just start drilling.

What do you all mean by drilling?

Should I buy all these
http://www.cambridgelsat.com/problem-se ... reasoning/
and start going through the questions?

Is this what you all mean by drilling?

If I do buy these packets won't this give me too much familiarity with the questions and then give me a false idea of when I take actual preptests?

Most people use the earlier PTs (1-39) for drilling just for that very reason. The earlier PTs aren't as relevant as the newer ones for a couple of reasons, but they're still very valuable practice.

And the entire point is to build up familiarity. If you truly understand how to do linear games, then no fucking linear game that LSAC can ever come up with, provided that it matches the concept that they used previously, will be difficult. If you truly understand how to deal with sufficient assumption questions, then all sufficient assumption questions are solvable. This is why the whole "Oh shit! I'm out of new material!" is not as big an issue as people think it is.

As for outright memorizing things- I've taken just about every existing LG 3 or 4 times now. The ones that confounded me, a lot more. It's only the ones that I've literally dissected and spent hours on trying to understand that I remember, and even then I only remember the details as in "Oh, this is the stone and mulch game!, or "Oh, this is the bus game!" Yes, I will remember key inferences of games that I've reviewed to death, but that's sort of why you make it a point to understand how you came to that inference moreso than the actual fact that you made the inference.

Put it another way - You spend time trying to memorize math equations and principles and whatnot by drilling them to death because you expect them to pop up in the test. Memorizing the common inferences and processes that LSAC use is the same thing.

alexrodriguez

Postby alexrodriguez » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:39 am

What was your LSAT score magickware?

philly93

Postby philly93 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:21 am

I have only recently started studying for the june 2014 lsat and have chosen to go with BluePrint for Logic Games. I have just covered the first type of game: basic ordering. I worked through the sample games provided in the book and seem to have a good understanding of the games. I constantly get the initial set up of the game perfectly right but I seem to have most trouble with the conditional questions. I figure before I move onto other game types, it would be good if I drill basic ordering and ensure I have it down. So there are 9 games from all the PTs that BP categorizes as "Basic ordering". I was wondering if it would be a good idea to print them out and work through all of them for the next week or so and make sure I understand those games inside out before moving on to the next section? I also do not know how to review my mistakes. When I look at it right after, it's really obvious why I missed it and think to myself "oh yeah, I can get that usually". How should I be thinking as I review them? Should I be justifying each answer or just justify the correct answer? Also, how many copies of each game should i be printing out and working on? Can i also use 7sage as a resource?

sorry for all those questions, but any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

EDIT: sorry for the double post, didn't see this thread.

Username123

Postby Username123 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:30 am

philly93 wrote:I have only recently started studying for the june 2014 lsat and have chosen to go with BluePrint for Logic Games. I have just covered the first type of game: basic ordering. I worked through the sample games provided in the book and seem to have a good understanding of the games. I constantly get the initial set up of the game perfectly right but I seem to have most trouble with the conditional questions. I figure before I move onto other game types, it would be good if I drill basic ordering and ensure I have it down. So there are 9 games from all the PTs that BP categorizes as "Basic ordering". I was wondering if it would be a good idea to print them out and work through all of them for the next week or so and make sure I understand those games inside out before moving on to the next section? I also do not know how to review my mistakes. When I look at it right after, it's really obvious why I missed it and think to myself "oh yeah, I can get that usually". How should I be thinking as I review them? Should I be justifying each answer or just justify the correct answer? Also, how many copies of each game should i be printing out and working on? Can i also use 7sage as a resource?

sorry for all those questions, but any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

I am a huge fan of following the methodology that Pithypike suggests - printing out 3 copies of each game, doing one on day 1, review day 2, do it again day 3, review day 4, do it for the last time day 5 and review day 6 (I hope that is what he was suggesting, either way it worked out for me). Each time you complete the game, work on perfecting the technique of making inferences. You might recognize the game from doing it previously, but I think Pithypike was spot on in that we shouldn't worry about this. Rather, we should focus on making/spotting the correct inferences while being able to apply them to the diagram/questions. Correct repetition is the key to perfecting games.

Username123

Postby Username123 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:32 am

philly93 wrote:I have only recently started studying for the june 2014 lsat and have chosen to go with BluePrint for Logic Games. I have just covered the first type of game: basic ordering. I worked through the sample games provided in the book and seem to have a good understanding of the games. I constantly get the initial set up of the game perfectly right but I seem to have most trouble with the conditional questions. I figure before I move onto other game types, it would be good if I drill basic ordering and ensure I have it down. So there are 9 games from all the PTs that BP categorizes as "Basic ordering". I was wondering if it would be a good idea to print them out and work through all of them for the next week or so and make sure I understand those games inside out before moving on to the next section? I also do not know how to review my mistakes. When I look at it right after, it's really obvious why I missed it and think to myself "oh yeah, I can get that usually". How should I be thinking as I review them? Should I be justifying each answer or just justify the correct answer? Also, how many copies of each game should i be printing out and working on? Can i also use 7sage as a resource?

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41657

philly93

Postby philly93 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:33 am

thank you! should i be doing those untimed or timed first? BluePrint suggests untimed but i do not know how to apply that to the method you are talking about.

magickware

Postby magickware » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:39 am

louierodriguez wrote:What was your LSAT score magickware?

163 the first time. Should have expected it, given the fact that I was completely unprepared and oblivious to all the warning signs.

163 the second time. This one confounded me, as I was PTing around 170-172 at the time. Plus, somehow getting the exact same score and the exact same percentile as last time seemed off. But since it was a Feb. test I can't check where I went wrong. In hindsight I should have asked for a recheck just to make sure. Not scoring my PT numbers is acceptable- it means that I wasn't as prepared as I thought I was. Scoring the exact same thing and in the exact same percentile as my previous test makes me wonder if something went wrong on their end

Username123

Postby Username123 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:06 pm

philly93 wrote:thank you! should i be doing those untimed or timed first? BluePrint suggests untimed but i do not know how to apply that to the method you are talking about.

Personally, I wouldn't focus on anything timed for a while. Since you are taking the June 2014 test as well, I wouldn't focus on timing until you feel that you can answer nearly all of the questions correctly, while understanding the reason that each answer choice was either correct or incorrect. Once you have gotten to that point, I would focus on implementing time into your study regimen. And then once you feel comfortable with timing, I would start implementing timed sections/PTs and thorough review, while still drilling and reviewing the basics from your BP guides.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”