The Official June 2014 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Straw_Mandible

Bronze

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Post by Straw_Mandible » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:31 pm

rebexness wrote:
penncon wrote:
lawstudenthopeful727 wrote:Just woke up from a nightmare aboht the LSAT.. I forget a pencil and nobody let me norrow theirs. Silly, I know. Still traumatic. I need to take off my LSAT countdown on my phone. :(
Don't worry! Us. anxiety-ridden LSAT takers will have at least 10 pencils with us sharpened to a deadly point that you can borrow. I sat for Dec and had at least 6 on my desk at all times. LOL
LOL like I'm sharing my Palominos. :wink:
lol +1

Bringing a pencil to the LSAT is like selecting a shirt for a big job interview. Should require at least a little bit of thought, and neglecting to bring one altogether is just awkward for everyone.

MDJ2588

New

Post by MDJ2588 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:36 pm

rebexness wrote:
MDJ2588 wrote:Does anybody know where I can obtain LR and RC Questions with Explanations, for a more reasonable price, or even free, that are as effective in comparison to Cambridge's Bundles? Also, does anyone know of any good video tutorials for LR and RC, that are as effective as 7sage's LG explanations.
Question for free is illegal, so don't do that.
There are really great explanations on the Manhattan Forums for individual questions, but I don't know of any video tutorials besides the paid ones for LR/RC
Well I wouldn't obtain my JD with intentions to of illegally obtaining free LSAT questions haha, I am not the kind of individual to cheat my way to the top, haha. Its extremely expense to obtain Cambridge's Explanation, there must be more affordable options, not every perspective law student, has exponential financial means, I would imagine there are individuals that sell worthy LR/LG Explanations for a reasonable price.

sephora_addict

Bronze

Post by sephora_addict » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:02 pm

WaltGrace83 wrote:
sephora_addict wrote:Hey everyone! So happy to see that their is a study group for the June 2014 LSAT. I was originally supposed to take the February LSAT that is of course 3 days from today. After multiple nightmares of me missing multiple questions and feeling unprepared, I decided to not take it at all. I have yet to withdraw my exam however because their is a possibility my test center will be closed this Saturday and if that is the case, LSAC gives you the option of taking a "make-up exam date" or refunding your money or allowing you to take it in June free of charge. Although it is not really free of charge because we paid for the exam, just weren't able to take it. Anyways, whatever the case may be, I am definitely taking it in June. I wanted to know if there are any good books anyone recommends. I am new to TLS so not sure where I should look. I appreciate any advice I can get from anyone. Just like with college, I am the first in my family to go to law school. Finding out information has been difficult for me because I'm on my own completely. Anytime I ask my parents to try and help me it ends up being a pointless discussion. I love them endlessly but I wish they were a bit more educated. Again, any advice I can get is much appreciated. Oh and one last thing, because I am so new to TLS I accidentally posted this same post under my own thread. I meant to post it under this thread so is there anyway to delete that? Haha i'm off to a terrible start. :P

Thank you!
First I'd like to congratulate you on doing the smart thing by not taking the LSAT before you are absolutely ready to. Good job. Those 3 takes may sound like a lot but they can go quick.

As for the books, here is what people recommend generally:
-The LSAT Trainer by Mike Kim: for a solid foundation
-The Manhattan Logical Reasoning Guide: to supplement the more specific chapters of the Trainer
-Cambridge Bundles - PTs 1-40 split up by question type: absolute MUST. You can get them in PDF form on the Cambridge website. This is for drilling and you cannot go without it.
-http://7sage.com/logic-game-explanations/: FREE! 7sage is a logic games master and he takes you through each and every logic game ever step by step. This is to supplement your LG drilling
-Every PT 40-70

Optional
-Manhattan Logic Games and Manhattan Reading Comprehension Strategy Guides: the Trainer might be enough but some people (like myself) really like the Logic Games guide by Manhattan and you can never have too much Reading Comp
-Blueprint LR/LG Bibles: never read them, ask jaylawyer

Thank you so much! I will be looking into all of those! :)

sephora_addict

Bronze

Post by sephora_addict » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:06 pm

MDJ2588 wrote:
sephora_addict wrote:Hey everyone! So happy to see that their is a study group for the June 2014 LSAT. I was originally supposed to take the February LSAT that is of course 3 days from today. After multiple nightmares of me missing multiple questions and feeling unprepared, I decided to not take it at all. I have yet to withdraw my exam however because their is a possibility my test center will be closed this Saturday and if that is the case, LSAC gives you the option of taking a "make-up exam date" or refunding your money or allowing you to take it in June free of charge. Although it is not really free of charge because we paid for the exam, just weren't able to take it. Anyways, whatever the case may be, I am definitely taking it in June. I wanted to know if there are any good books anyone recommends. I am new to TLS so not sure where I should look. I appreciate any advice I can get from anyone. Just like with college, I am the first in my family to go to law school. Finding out information has been difficult for me because I'm on my own completely. Anytime I ask my parents to try and help me it ends up being a pointless discussion. I love them endlessly but I wish they were a bit more educated. Again, any advice I can get is much appreciated. Oh and one last thing, because I am so new to TLS I accidentally posted this same post under my own thread. I meant to post it under this thread so is there anyway to delete that? Haha i'm off to a terrible start. :P

Thank you!
Very wise decision, its all about your study material, motivation to achieve your goals, optimism, and drilling. I have the Powerscore Bibles LG/LR, The LSAT Trainer, ALL LSAC PT's, the LSAC Super Prep Book, and a vast amount of study guides from various 180'ers (especially TLS1776), also I made several Excel data sheets of break downs on my scores, as well as a Dry Erase Board in my room for weekly goals. The key is from what I understand based off Mike the Author of The LSAT, is that this Test is completely learnable, but you must be willing to not only put the work and time into the Test but learn its nature, find your weakness and grow with them, and find your strength's, and retain them. If you would like I am approximately one month into my Prep work, and I am starting a study group for June 9th test takers, if your interested to join or perhaps anyone else for that matter, please pm me. I hope this helps.
Thank you! I am currently looking into getting the Powerscore Bibles and the LSAT Trainer. Sounds like you are very motivated to get that 180 and I wish you the best with that. I want to work as hard as possible to get a high LSAT score. I think my problem right now is getting the hang of things. I don't really know where to start.. I sorta feel like a lost puppy. :cry: As for your study group for the June 2014 LSAT, I would love to join! I will pm you now.

MrsHuxtable

New

Post by MrsHuxtable » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:30 pm

sephora_addict wrote:
MDJ2588 wrote:

Thank you!
Very wise decision, its all about your study material, motivation to achieve your goals, optimism, and drilling. I have the Powerscore Bibles LG/LR, The LSAT Trainer, ALL LSAC PT's, the LSAC Super Prep Book, and a vast amount of study guides from various 180'ers (especially TLS1776), also I made several Excel data sheets of break downs on my scores, as well as a Dry Erase Board in my room for weekly goals. The key is from what I understand based off Mike the Author of The LSAT, is that this Test is completely learnable, but you must be willing to not only put the work and time into the Test but learn its nature, find your weakness and grow with them, and find your strength's, and retain them. If you would like I am approximately one month into my Prep work, and I am starting a study group for June 9th test takers, if your interested to join or perhaps anyone else for that matter, please pm me. I hope this helps.
Thank you! I am currently looking into getting the Powerscore Bibles and the LSAT Trainer. Sounds like you are very motivated to get that 180 and I wish you the best with that. I want to work as hard as possible to get a high LSAT score. I think my problem right now is getting the hang of things. I don't really know where to start.. I sorta feel like a lost puppy. :cry: As for your study group for the June 2014 LSAT, I would love to join! I will pm you now.

It can be extremely overwhelming at first, but just by being on TLS you're off to a much better start than 95% of the people that will be taking the LSAT in June. Take it one day at a time. You'll get the score you want.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sephora_addict

Bronze

Post by sephora_addict » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:01 pm

MrsHuxtable wrote:
sephora_addict wrote:
MDJ2588 wrote:

Thank you!

It can be extremely overwhelming at first, but just by being on TLS you're off to a much better start than 95% of the people that will be taking the LSAT in June. Take it one day at a time. You'll get the score you want.
Thanks you MrsHuxtable! TLS is truly helping me to get more motivated and serious about my studies.

Louis1127

Silver

Post by Louis1127 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:35 am

How do you guys keep track of hypotheticals that you used for previous questions on LG? Do you circle them or box them or notate a hypo in any way? Or can you just find it easily on your paper? I am thinking of experimenting with circling hypos so I know where they are on my paper.

I just did a game that took me about 30 minutes (hey, I have only been drilling grouping games for a week) that could have taken me about 15 if I had known how to use my work from previous questions.

Separate note:

I feel like I am improving on LR, even though my drilling record isn't anywhere near perfect, especially on level 3 and 4 questions. But I do feel like I am getting better thanks to drilling (I have drilled flaw from Cambridge PT 1-40). I am DEFINITELY getting faster at LR, which is super-exciting. Getting faster at sequencing games (been drilling those for three weeks) but currently slow as hell at grouping games (been drilling those for about a week, as previously stated).

edit: I wish my TLS post count was where I was currently PTing lol

cavalier2015

Bronze

Post by cavalier2015 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:57 am

how the heck have y'all been matching up LSAT trainer with the cambridge?

For example which set do I use to drill Lessons 5-8?

CAN someone also PLEASE link me the thing for blind review? I understand this is the most efficient way to drill but I cannot find the link anywhere.

Straw_Mandible

Bronze

Post by Straw_Mandible » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:38 am

Louis1127 wrote:How do you guys keep track of hypotheticals that you used for previous questions on LG? Do you circle them or box them or notate a hypo in any way? Or can you just find it easily on your paper? I am thinking of experimenting with circling hypos so I know where they are on my paper.

I just did a game that took me about 30 minutes (hey, I have only been drilling grouping games for a week) that could have taken me about 15 if I had known how to use my work from previous questions.

Separate note:

I feel like I am improving on LR, even though my drilling record isn't anywhere near perfect, especially on level 3 and 4 questions. But I do feel like I am getting better thanks to drilling (I have drilled flaw from Cambridge PT 1-40). I am DEFINITELY getting faster at LR, which is super-exciting. Getting faster at sequencing games (been drilling those for three weeks) but currently slow as hell at grouping games (been drilling those for about a week, as previously stated).

edit: I wish my TLS post count was where I was currently PTing lol
The only thing you should be writing aside from your main setup and rule notations (and scenarios -- if you see them) would be hypos for conditional questions. They should be pretty easy to spot. Plus, short term memory is a beautiful thing. But if you're using a ton of hypos to solve a game/check ACs, chances are that you missed something in your setup. Most games can be effectively "solved" before you even look at the first question. Relying on hypos rather than initial deductions is typically an inefficient way of completing a game. Guaranteed your timing will improve overall if you spend more time on your setup and try to avoid using hypos for the questions, whenever possible.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gamecock15

New

Post by Gamecock15 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:46 am

Hey guys! Just wondering what everyone is averaging on time per week/day for studying?

I just moved back to Paris about three weeks ago and my time hasn't been ample. I'm thinking that I should be dedicating about 15-20 hours a week, but right now I'm only getting about five. I'm following the Trainer 16 study schedule though.

Right now, it doesn't feel like that's enough. I'm wondering if it would be better to move to an 8 week schedule and then spend the other 8 weeks just doing preptests and drills.

Any opinions?

Cambridge LSAT

Bronze

Post by Cambridge LSAT » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:57 am

cavalier2015 wrote:how the heck have y'all been matching up LSAT trainer with the cambridge?

For example which set do I use to drill Lessons 5-8?
Mike put together a quick conversion chart to help with this:
http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 5#p7449633

Baby_Got_Feuerbach

Silver

Post by Baby_Got_Feuerbach » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:17 pm

Taking in two days. I don't want to be pessimistic but just thought I'd introduce myself :P

WaltGrace83

Silver

Post by WaltGrace83 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:28 pm

For everyone a little anxious that you aren't PTing in mid 160s (probably such as myself? dunno where I stand): we still have 4 long months to go! HUGE strides can be (will be) made every single month.

Don't doubt yourself. We are TLS! We are better than everyone else, right? ....right? .............right? :) Seriously though, it is a beautiful thing that our minimum is about 90% of the country's maximum.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:33 pm

cavalier2015 wrote:
CAN someone also PLEASE link me the thing for blind review? I understand this is the most efficient way to drill but I cannot find the link anywhere.
http://7sage.com/the-blind-review-how-t ... at-part-1/

iiibbystar

New

Post by iiibbystar » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:06 pm

WaltGrace83 wrote:For everyone a little anxious that you aren't PTing in mid 160s (probably such as myself? dunno where I stand): we still have 4 long months to go! HUGE strides can be (will be) made every single month.

Don't doubt yourself. We are TLS! We are better than everyone else, right? ....right? .............right? :) Seriously though, it is a beautiful thing that our minimum is about 90% of the country's maximum.
Thank you, WaltGrace, for the words of encouragement! I was just having crazy thoughts about postponing the exam to October because I'm not already PT-ing in the mid 160's, but you're absolutely right...we DO have 4 more months. That's a lot of time left.

WorldsCollide

Bronze

Post by WorldsCollide » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:27 pm

What is everyone's advice over taking a practice test blind? I started taking one and, because I wasn't used to writing on the actual test (instead of scrap paper), I only answered four out of twenty-four questions. I freaked out and stopped the practice test.

I feel like I'll just get discouraged if I take one now =\

MrsHuxtable

New

Post by MrsHuxtable » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:05 pm

WaltGrace83 wrote:For everyone a little anxious that you aren't PTing in mid 160s (probably such as myself? dunno where I stand): we still have 4 long months to go! HUGE strides can be (will be) made every single month.

Thanks for the encouragement! I struggle with whether I have enough to reach my goal often. LG is the only thing holding me back. RC and LR for the most part are solid, but LG makes me wanna cry... Every. Single. Time! You're right though we've got TLS, time, and we're motivated so we can most defiantly do this! 180's all around :D

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MrsHuxtable

New

Post by MrsHuxtable » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:15 pm

WorldsCollide wrote:What is everyone's advice over taking a practice test blind? I started taking one and, because I wasn't used to writing on the actual test (instead of scrap paper), I only answered four out of twenty-four questions. I freaked out and stopped the practice test.

I feel like I'll just get discouraged if I take one now =\
You very well may get discouraged, but then you'll get motivated. You'll know exactly where you stand and you'll have a feel for what the exam will be like and what you're getting yourself into. Even if you get a 146 (like me). You'll know you've got work to do, but you'll have a starting point. I took a blind LSAT (not recombined at all) and scored a 146, so you're making the wise choice in taking a blind PT. It was discouraging, but I knew I wasn't gonna let that 146 be the final score, so I made a game plan and now I'm on the road to a much higher score and understanding of the test. Not to mention knowing where you're starting gives you the satisfaction of making every point increase that much sweeter. At the end of this journey you can look back at that blind PT along with your LSAT score and realize you "started from the bottom, but now you're here"

PS- really bad attempt at a pop culture reference, I appologize.. I just couldn't resist

MrsHuxtable

New

Post by MrsHuxtable » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:17 pm

Can't wait to get off work and do some tiered ordering games! I'm gonna divde and conquer those boys and girls, car washes and owners of the cars... You get the point

Straw_Mandible

Bronze

Post by Straw_Mandible » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:39 pm

MrsHuxtable wrote:

Thanks for the encouragement! I struggle with whether I have enough to reach my goal often. LG is the only thing holding me back. RC and LR for the most part are solid, but LG makes me wanna cry... Every. Single. Time! You're right though we've got TLS, time, and we're motivated so we can most defiantly do this! 180's all around :D
We can indeed! (But defiance is probably not the most appropriate mindset.)

In all seriousness though, it's very important for us to resist the temptation to bask in the luxury of time. Four months is ample time to make significant progress if, and only if, we use that time in the right way. But hours, in and of themselves, have absolutely no bearing whatsoever on our skill sets. Study well, study efficiently, and push through your perceived limitations. Do not bask in the luxury of time.

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:46 pm

Straw_Mandible wrote: Do not bask in the luxury of time.
Printing that out and putting it on my copy of the Trainer and my study schedule.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Straw_Mandible

Bronze

Post by Straw_Mandible » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:00 pm

rebexness wrote:
Straw_Mandible wrote: Do not bask in the luxury of time.
Printing that out and putting it on my copy of the Trainer and my study schedule.
:lol: Happy to help!

WaltGrace83

Silver

Post by WaltGrace83 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:34 pm

Agreed ^

Not that anyone misunderstood me, all I meant was that we HAVE the time but a correct approach to studying is necessary when given that time.

C0NFUSED0L

New

Post by C0NFUSED0L » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:48 pm

Hey all,

I have a question regarding the June exam in general.

Can June test be used for current acceptance cycle?

I took the LSAT last June, scored a 166, and was satisfied enough with my score to decide to not retake, and apply in the fall for this coming fall matriculation.

After discovering TLS, and being advised to not "waste" my 4.0x GPA, the standard response seems to be "retake and sit out a year".

I do not plan on sitting out a year. After consideration, and the virtual unanimous "RETAKE" responses, I am willing to retake the exam but not sit a year out. Does that make sense?

Are there tangible benefits to this strategy? Or am I grasping at thin air?

If a higher score in June 2014 has a chance of netting me $$ or acceptance off a WL for August 14, I would have to retake.

Does anyone know SOP when it comes to this situation?

Thanks in advance

MrsHuxtable

New

Post by MrsHuxtable » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:51 pm

Straw_Mandible wrote:
MrsHuxtable wrote:

We can indeed! (But defiance is probably not the most appropriate mindset.)

In all seriousness though, it's very important for us to resist the temptation to bask in the luxury of time. Four months is ample time to make significant progress if, and only if, we use that time in the right way. But hours, in and of themselves, have absolutely no bearing whatsoever on our skill sets. Study well, study efficiently, and push through your perceived limitations. Do not bask in the luxury of time.

I definetly didn't mean to write defiance. This is why you shouldn't post from an iPhone... And agreed, we must not bask in "the luxury of time"

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”