The Official June 2014 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Tyr

Bronze

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Post by Tyr » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:45 pm

louierodriguez wrote: I checked out a book yesterday at the library. It made me feel terrible. I read three chapters last night. I think I'm going to go return it right now.
Why would that make you feel terrible? Is it because you were reading 50 Shades of Grey again?

Silver

Post by 10052014 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:49 pm

Last edited by 10052014 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

famousblueraincoat

New

Post by famousblueraincoat » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:29 pm

So I was going over my LSAT Trainer study schedule and it looks like I'll finish the 16 week program in mid-April. What would I do for the rest of April and May? Non-stop PTs?

FlyingNorth

Bronze

Post by FlyingNorth » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:53 pm

famousblueraincoat wrote:So I was going over my LSAT Trainer study schedule and it looks like I'll finish the 16 week program in mid-April. What would I do for the rest of April and May? Non-stop PTs?
Bingo. Drill any weaknesses too.

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:57 pm

FlyingNorth wrote:
famousblueraincoat wrote:So I was going over my LSAT Trainer study schedule and it looks like I'll finish the 16 week program in mid-April. What would I do for the rest of April and May? Non-stop PTs?
Bingo. Drill any weaknesses too.
If you haven't heard of it or anything, you will want to input your PT scores into one of the website (i still use LSATqa but I know that 7sage has one and maybe Manhattan also). They will break your score down and give you question type weakness, which make for easy drilling subjects.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

midnight_shadow

New

Post by midnight_shadow » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:07 pm

Checking in! Was planning on taking the Dec LSAT to apply this cycle but then work obligations got in the way :|. I'm pretty good with LG by this point (need to work on speed but accuracy is there for the most part thanks to 7sage videos) & I skimmed through the Manhattan LR once upon a time but need to go through it in greater detail. Haven't tackled RC at all but I'm hoping to read the Manhattan RC soon. Is the LSAT Trainer any good for RC or is the Manhattan RC still the best out there?

Tyr

Bronze

Post by Tyr » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:45 pm

jaylawyer09 wrote: Btw, thank god I got done with most of my lr drilling during winter break. now during classes, its almost impossible to study AND drill as much as I was.
I'm studying for the LSAT this semester and taking classes. However, I'm only taking 13 credits. The only class that will take real studying is Spanish. The other three are all cakewalks.

famousblueraincoat

New

Post by famousblueraincoat » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:05 pm

Tyr wrote:
jaylawyer09 wrote: Btw, thank god I got done with most of my lr drilling during winter break. now during classes, its almost impossible to study AND drill as much as I was.
I'm studying for the LSAT this semester and taking classes. However, I'm only taking 13 credits. The only class that will take real studying is Spanish. The other three are all cakewalks.
Déjeme saber si usted necesita ayuda con su clase de español. :wink:

Tyr

Bronze

Post by Tyr » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:21 pm

famousblueraincoat wrote: Déjeme saber si usted necesita ayuda con su clase de español. :wink:
Gracias!

I can memorize vocabulary like a madman, but composition is always a struggle.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lsataddict175

New

Post by Lsataddict175 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:22 pm

To all those that read the Trainer: I recently started studying for this exam and began my prep with the Trainer. The book has helped me immensely for the LR and RC portions of the exam; although I'm at the beginning stages I'm getting around 90% those questions correct (untimed). However, after reading the first 29 chapters in the Trainer, I feel like I don't have a solid grasp in LG. My accuracy is high but the games are taking me forever to complete. Does anyone feel like the Trainer isn't that great for LG? That's my feeling. It could just be that I'm really bad at games, but I believe that the book does not adequately prepare you for LG. Again, I don't want to take anything away from this amazing book (RC and LR are unbelievable), but this is just the way I feel.
Furthermore, in chapter 30 of the book, Mike took four really difficult LSAT LG and combined them into one section. I’m thinking about skipping this chapter and returning to it when I feel I’ve mastered LG since I don’t want to “waste” these difficult games. I want to be able to conquer these games when I’m prepared for the battle, as oppose to attacking these questions when I stand no chance of “defeating” them. Do you think this is a good idea? It bothers me tremendously that I have to skip a chapter but I feel this is the right approach. I would really appreciate your thoughts/ advice.
TYIA.

Silver

Post by 10052014 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:41 am

Last edited by 10052014 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

ZVBXRPL

Silver

Post by ZVBXRPL » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:11 am

If anyone in NYC is looking for a study partner pm me or see below.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 6&t=222562

afnajjerh

New

Post by afnajjerh » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:51 am

Lsataddict175 wrote:h but the games are taking me forever to complete. Does anyone feel like the Trainer isn't that great for LG? That's my feeling. It could just be that I'm really bad at games, but I believe that the book does not adequately prepare you for LG. Again, I don't want to take anything away from this amazing book (RC and LR are unbelievable), but this is just the way I feel.
Furthermore, in chapter 30 of the book, Mike took four really difficult LSAT LG and combined them into one section. I’m thinking about skipping this chapter and returning to it when I feel I’ve mastered LG since I don’t want to “waste” these difficult games. I want to be able to conquer these games when I’m prepared for the battle, as oppose to attacking these questions when I stand no chance of “defeating” them. Do you think this is a good idea? It bothers me tremendously that I have to skip a chapter but I feel this is the right approach. I would really appreciate your thoughts/ advice.
TYIA.
Lsataddict175, the consensus around here and my own personal opinion is the PowerScore is the best reference for LG. The books might be too rigid for LR and RC, but for LG's they break it down very easily.

I don't think you should skip the lesson. My opinion would be to go through that section and see how you do with the Trainer method. Purchase the PowerScore LG book, and after completing it do those games again and see how you have improved. I unfortunately am only in the beginning of the Trainer, but there are some good aspects of it for LG, that combined with PowerScore can definitely get you into the top score.

If you are worried about using the hardest games, below is a link to the 10 hardest LSAT games broken down. So you can use them to measure yourself before and after Powerscore and the Trainer.

http://www.powerscore.com/lsat/help/lg_ ... -games.cfm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

famousblueraincoat

New

Post by famousblueraincoat » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:57 am

afnajjerh wrote:
Lsataddict175 wrote:h but the games are taking me forever to complete. Does anyone feel like the Trainer isn't that great for LG? That's my feeling. It could just be that I'm really bad at games, but I believe that the book does not adequately prepare you for LG. Again, I don't want to take anything away from this amazing book (RC and LR are unbelievable), but this is just the way I feel.
TYIA.
Lsataddict175, the consensus around here and my own personal opinion is the PowerScore is the best reference for LG. The books might be too rigid for LR and RC, but for LG's they break it down very easily.

I don't think you should skip the lesson. My opinion would be to go through that section and see how you do with the Trainer method. Purchase the PowerScore LG book, and after completing it do those games again and see how you have improved. I unfortunately am only in the beginning of the Trainer, but there are some good aspects of it for LG, that combined with PowerScore can definitely get you into the top score.

If you are worried about using the hardest games, below is a link to the 10 hardest LSAT games broken down. So you can use them to measure yourself before and after Powerscore and the Trainer.

I just finished the complicated 'or' rules chapter of the Trainer and it seems to be working really well. Just got -1 on a game that seemed difficult, but using Mike's methods helped clarify everything. And the one question I got wrong was so easy, I was rushing. Didn't even have to look it up to see where I went wrong.

But different strokes, etc. Try all methods of prep if you have time! :P

Straw_Mandible

Bronze

Post by Straw_Mandible » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:22 pm

midnight_shadow wrote:Checking in! Was planning on taking the Dec LSAT to apply this cycle but then work obligations got in the way :|. I'm pretty good with LG by this point (need to work on speed but accuracy is there for the most part thanks to 7sage videos) & I skimmed through the Manhattan LR once upon a time but need to go through it in greater detail. Haven't tackled RC at all but I'm hoping to read the Manhattan RC soon. Is the LSAT Trainer any good for RC or is the Manhattan RC still the best out there?
Welcome, welcome!

I have an opinion on that. I completed the Trainer in the fall, and I just finished Manhattan RC. I felt very comfortable with RC after completing the Trainer, but I had already purchased the Manhattan book, so I decided to see if I could glean anything of value from it. I can tell you with confidence that the Trainer is a better resource for RC. It is more comprehensive in its descriptions of strategy and mindset, and the presentation is thorough and nuanced in underlying concepts that the Manhattan book just doesn't quite reach. If you're not convinced, I suggest that you reach out to Mike Kim (the LSAT Trainer) via PM or in his thread. He wrote both of these books, and I have the feeling that he would agree with this assessment.

This is not to say that the Manhattan book is worthless! There are some great ideas in there. But every single one of those great ideas was revamped and expanded upon in the Trainer. Definitely start with the Trainer.

midnight_shadow

New

Post by midnight_shadow » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:10 pm

Straw_Mandible wrote:
midnight_shadow wrote:Checking in! Was planning on taking the Dec LSAT to apply this cycle but then work obligations got in the way :|. I'm pretty good with LG by this point (need to work on speed but accuracy is there for the most part thanks to 7sage videos) & I skimmed through the Manhattan LR once upon a time but need to go through it in greater detail. Haven't tackled RC at all but I'm hoping to read the Manhattan RC soon. Is the LSAT Trainer any good for RC or is the Manhattan RC still the best out there?
Welcome, welcome!

I have an opinion on that. I completed the Trainer in the fall, and I just finished Manhattan RC. I felt very comfortable with RC after completing the Trainer, but I had already purchased the Manhattan book, so I decided to see if I could glean anything of value from it. I can tell you with confidence that the Trainer is a better resource for RC. It is more comprehensive in its descriptions of strategy and mindset, and the presentation is thorough and nuanced in underlying concepts that the Manhattan book just doesn't quite reach. If you're not convinced, I suggest that you reach out to Mike Kim (the LSAT Trainer) via PM or in his thread. He wrote both of these books, and I have the feeling that he would agree with this assessment.

This is not to say that the Manhattan book is worthless! There are some great ideas in there. But every single one of those great ideas was revamped and expanded upon in the Trainer. Definitely start with the Trainer.
Awesome, thanks for letting me know! :)

Lsataddict175

New

Post by Lsataddict175 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:05 pm

famousblueraincoat wrote:
afnajjerh wrote:
TYIA.

I just finished the complicated 'or' rules chapter of the Trainer and it seems to be working really well. Just got -1 on a game that seemed difficult, but using Mike's methods helped clarify everything. And the one question I got wrong was so easy, I was rushing. Didn't even have to look it up to see where I went wrong.

But different strokes, etc. Try all methods of prep if you have time! :P
Have to admit that I really enjoyed that chapter also. However, I have a problem with the way the book deals with conditional games. I find Manhattan's logic chain a lot more efficient. 7sage solves "the birds in the forest game" in half the time using this method.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Lsataddict175

New

Post by Lsataddict175 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:08 pm

afnajjerh wrote:
TYIA.

Thanks for your help, really appreciate it. Would you recommend the PowerScore book over Blueprint LG? Someone mentioned to be that the Blueprint book is a lot more intuitive.

iiibbystar

New

Post by iiibbystar » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:01 am

Lsataddict175 wrote:
afnajjerh wrote:
TYIA.

Thanks for your help, really appreciate it. Would you recommend the PowerScore book over Blueprint LG? Someone mentioned to be that the Blueprint book is a lot more intuitive.
I second that. The Blueprint LG book breaks it down and simplifies it by a lot. I think PS is a little more mechanical, but that may just be me.

afnajjerh

New

Post by afnajjerh » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:26 pm

Lsataddict175 wrote:
afnajjerh wrote:
TYIA.

Honestly I haven't used the Blueprint books so I wouldn't know.

famousblueraincoat

New

Post by famousblueraincoat » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:18 pm

PT 56 Game 2 was AWFUL. I got -0/-1 on all my LG drills except that one. Totally forgot to unpack the first rule. It seemed deceptively simple, but wound up being the key to unlocking the game.

So... read rules carefully D:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Silver

Post by 10052014 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:22 pm

Last edited by 10052014 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

famousblueraincoat

New

Post by famousblueraincoat » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:17 pm

jaylawyer09 wrote:What should we be PTing around by now?

Have you guys taken any pts lately to see where you are at? what scores did you get??
Wouldn't it depend on how far along you are in your prep? I haven't even started really PTing yet.

Silver

Post by 10052014 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:30 pm

Last edited by 10052014 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

afnajjerh

New

Post by afnajjerh » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:25 pm

jaylawyer09 wrote:
famousblueraincoat wrote:
jaylawyer09 wrote:What should we be PTing around by now?

Have you guys taken any pts lately to see where you are at? what scores did you get??
Wouldn't it depend on how far along you are in your prep? I haven't even started really PTing yet.
I have not started yet either, but I was just wondering if some one took one just to see his/her progress.
Honestly, my current study schedule wont have me PT'ing regularly until the last week of february/first week of March.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”