The Official June 2014 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
tfinndogm

Bronze

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Post by tfinndogm » Sun May 18, 2014 9:22 pm

leigh912198972 wrote: OMG.
The morning of my LSAT last June, my little man had explosive diarrhea all over my apartment. Which is crazy because he never has before and also never has since -- he's really well house trained. I panicked because I was moving out in a month and I had to go take the lsat!!! Scheduled carpet cleaners for later that day and did what I could (not much -- it was so serious). But it was TRAUMATIC as well.

Scored a 161 that day. Sigh. Horrible.

haha I think a 161 after that much stress is NOT horrible. Just like my 160 after my dog getting mauled. WE BE COOL UNDER PRESSURE

BaberhamLincoln

Gold

Post by BaberhamLincoln » Sun May 18, 2014 9:33 pm

LOLZ. Love it.

Looking over my chart of PT scores and individual section scores. Also averaging my tests this year versus last.

I know the answer to this question is probably the answer to most questions ("It depends") but what do you guys consider a reasonable point-increase from one LSAT to the next?

Obviously, we have JK in this thread who improved a whole 10 points -- but I don't think that's typical.

I scored 161 last year. I am reaaaaaaaaaaally hoping to get 167+. Hoping for, like, 175 would be silly.

Louis1127

Silver

Post by Louis1127 » Sun May 18, 2014 10:14 pm

agalfano wrote:Do you guys think it may have been a bad idea to drill strengthen AND weaken questions in the same day?

I just did my first weaken question and I got it wrong because I strengthened it :oops:

haha that can't be good!!
I see little problem with that. They are both in the assumption family. And I've fallen for that trap before, too :oops:

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Sun May 18, 2014 10:17 pm

Louis1127 wrote: I see little problem with that. They are both in the assumption family. And I've fallen for that trap before, too :oops:
Reading the question first and underlining/circling/etc is a really good way to prevent this!

Louis1127

Silver

Post by Louis1127 » Sun May 18, 2014 10:20 pm

I officially moved my test date back to September as of this evening.

Pretty good timing too, as I just got demolished by an RC passage as of ten minutes ago. I made a ton of mistakes in my process (like not verifying things that I wasn't sure were supported in the passage or not). And I was on a good streak with some previous passages. So frustrating.

Anyhow, I'll stick around this thread till test day. But it's going to be September for me. :o

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jk148706

Gold

Post by jk148706 » Mon May 19, 2014 12:08 am

Louis1127 wrote:I officially moved my test date back to September as of this evening.

Pretty good timing too, as I just got demolished by an RC passage as of ten minutes ago. I made a ton of mistakes in my process (like not verifying things that I wasn't sure were supported in the passage or not). And I was on a good streak with some previous passages. So frustrating.

Anyhow, I'll stick around this thread till test day. But it's going to be September for me. :o
Nothing wrong with postponing. Take it when u are ready. Keep grinding tho

Christine (MLSAT)

Bronze

Post by Christine (MLSAT) » Mon May 19, 2014 11:05 am

agalfano wrote:Ok real quick can I have some help with LR Test 18, Section 4, Question 25...

I was drilling Flaw Questions and I was 99% sure that A was the correct answer, although when I looked at E I thought to myself "hmmm, this sounds interesting, but this answer doesn't match the flaw." Needless to say, when I saw that the answer was E I immediately jumped out of my seat and took a 30 minute break because I was so frustrated!! Love to hear your insight! Ughhhh
This is a classic case where the incorrect flaw sounds AWFULLY CLOSE, and is in simple language, while the correct answer matches perfectly but flips to difficult/genericized/fancy language. But it also sounds like you might have gone astray in your original evaluation of what George's error was, even before you got to the answer choices...

Sort out the pieces:
  • CLAIM: children that are read-to are MORE LIKELY to become adults that like reading
    PREMISE: That wasn't true for Emory or me.
    CONCLUSION: That claim is false.
The author's flaw is that he thinks his experience/Emory's experience are enough to refute a claim of LIKELIHOOD.

Answer choice (A) starts off sounding pretty good - but what about "experiences of other people"? George never pits his/Emory's experience against other people's experiences. That's never mentioned! It's never even implied. Perhaps if he'd said "Even though many children that are read to grow up to like reading, that's not what happened to Emory" - that would be treating his cousin's experience as though it had more weight than the experiences of other people.

As it is, though, George never even references any experiences of other people. All we know is that he believes that his/Emory's experiences refute the claim. Who knows, he might even believe that EVERYONE's experiences are actually exactly identical to his/Emory's experiences! We just don't know!

(E) puts the language into abstraction, so let's break out what it's actually saying:

"He attempts to refute a general claim [CLAIM above] by reference to nonconforming cases [George & Emory are non-conforming to the CLAIM], although the claim is consistent [the non-conformists don't disprove the claim] with the occurrence of such cases."

So, this answer is saying that the flaw is that the "nonconforming cases" that George uses as evidence (himself and Emory's experiences) are CONSISTENT with the claim, which just means that the cases and the claim don't conflict! And that's true! It's entirely possible for the claim to be true (it's more LIKELY!) AND for George and Emory's experiences to happen.

Broken down into simpler language, (E) is saying "George tries to disprove the claim by showing that what happened to him/Emory is different. But, since the claim is just a claim of LIKELIHOOD, their experiences don't disprove that LIKELIHOOD, even though they experienced something different."

What do you think?

agalfano

New

Post by agalfano » Mon May 19, 2014 2:12 pm

Christine,

Thank you very much for that thorough explanation, it now makes sense to me why E is the correct answer..

The only problem I still have is that I think that A also shows a flaw, here's my reasoning...

George is saying that the original claim is wrong because him and his cousin differ from the original claim. When the answer choice in A states "other people" I think that it is an implicit assumption that he is talking about the other children that the well known educator is making his/her claim about.. Maybe I'm dead wrong on that, but doesn't that sound logical? The well known educator is making a claim about children, so when George makes his claim, aren't the children the other people?... So based off of this, George is saying that the original claim is wrong, because his experience and his cousin's experience doesn't coincide with the original claim. So in a nut shell, he is weighing his evidence greater than they evidence of other people (the children) to make his conclusion that the original claim was wrong...

So this is the evidence that George sees

E1: A well known educator claims that children who are read to are more likely to enjoy reading
E2: George and his cousin do not match with that claim

George's Conclusion: The original claim must be false

Therefore, George is putting more weight in his evidence than in that by the "other people" to make his claim..

Thanks!

agalfano

New

Post by agalfano » Mon May 19, 2014 2:17 pm

Also, I'd love to hear WaltGrace's input on this problem! :D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dardardelight

New

Post by dardardelight » Mon May 19, 2014 3:47 pm

why the fudge is PT 59 so hard?! A -14 for a 170 is a pretty crazy curve.

I just BOTCHED an LR and got -7... feeling more and more like a retake will be necessary

BaberhamLincoln

Gold

Post by BaberhamLincoln » Mon May 19, 2014 6:38 pm

Just went -1 on an LR section and that FELT GOOD! Then bombed (for me) LG at -5. Come on!

gatorfanj

New

Post by gatorfanj » Tue May 20, 2014 1:59 am

Long time reader. Just wanted to day thanks for all the interesting and insightful lsat conversation.
On that note am I the only person wishing that the LSAT was a day away instead of 3 weeks? Lol its probably due to the fact I just had my best sections overall. Which is a great feeling. Lol

tfinndogm

Bronze

Post by tfinndogm » Tue May 20, 2014 1:52 pm

gatorfanj wrote:Long time reader. Just wanted to day thanks for all the interesting and insightful lsat conversation.
On that note am I the only person wishing that the LSAT was a day away instead of 3 weeks? Lol its probably due to the fact I just had my best sections overall. Which is a great feeling. Lol

*raises hand* I'm so ready for this to be over with. Luckily we only have 20 days WOOOOOOOOO

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MDJ2588

New

Post by MDJ2588 » Tue May 20, 2014 6:15 pm

I haven't posted on here for several months, due to the fact that I've completely dedicated myself to the LSAT, and school, but now it seems I've encountered a brick wall within my prep. As of now, I am now where close to my overall goal, in response to my inadequate results I am implementing a more intense strategic plan of targeting key areas of weakness and need some critical advice/information.

The LR section has become quite frustrating for me, especially due to the fact that I am able to find the premises, conclusion, context, flaws, assumptions, etc., as well as be able to understand what the question stem is asking for within the stimulus. In addition, I can read each passage very quickly and with efficiently. Due to my initial lack of critical thinking skills, I've even also taught myself the fundamental usage of rhetorical devices, and logical fallacies. So in essence, I personally feel my greatest weakness is CHOOSING THE CORRECT ANSWER!!!! More specifically being my ability to properly choose the correct answers from trap answers, as well as finding a more efficient method of utilizing the question stem/stimulus to pin point specific indicator "words" and/or "phrases" within the answer choices, and eliminate them accordingly. I've overheard the usage of a tactic on LSAT Kung Fu (Podcast), but the 7Sage Lessons as well as the vast amount of prep books I have including but not limited to, "Manhattan LR, LRB, The Trainer, etc." do not have a comprehensive list of common indicators to choose or eliminate answer choices. If anyone has any resources/advice in this regard, or their own personal method in choosing the correct answers I would extremely grateful.

I've dedicated my entire existence to this test since January 9th, 2014, and took off work, sacrificing this entire month to do nothing else but prep. Everyday I do drills, PT, review, or study, and for some reason LR has been the hurdle of a life time. Any additional help in regards to the logical reasoning section would be incredible.

Calbears123

Bronze

Post by Calbears123 » Tue May 20, 2014 8:43 pm

I'm not doing any more prep past June 5th, and my last PT will be untimed. I'm not going to destroy my confidence

berkeleynick

New

Post by berkeleynick » Tue May 20, 2014 10:25 pm

Are any of you kind of just burnt out? I feel like it's diminishing returns at this point when I study after work. I am too fatigued and kind of just don't care lol. Should I just take practice tests on days that I have off going forward? I have difficulty taking it seriously knowing it's not the real thing especially when I am tired...but I also don't want to feel like I am not getting the most out of these final two-and-a-half weeks. Eek. I almost kind of want to postpone, but I feel like that's a pretty normal feeling when it gets close, yeah?

sprinky07

New

Post by sprinky07 » Wed May 21, 2014 10:47 am

berkeleynick wrote:Are any of you kind of just burnt out? I feel like it's diminishing returns at this point when I study after work. I am too fatigued and kind of just don't care lol. Should I just take practice tests on days that I have off going forward? I have difficulty taking it seriously knowing it's not the real thing especially when I am tired...but I also don't want to feel like I am not getting the most out of these final two-and-a-half weeks. Eek. I almost kind of want to postpone, but I feel like that's a pretty normal feeling when it gets close, yeah?
This pretty much sums up how I'm feeling right now too. Just stay the course!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Wed May 21, 2014 12:51 pm

Calbears123 wrote:I'm not doing any more prep past June 5th, and my last PT will be untimed. I'm not going to destroy my confidence
Interesting idea about doing the last PT untimed. I may consider this.

agalfano

New

Post by agalfano » Wed May 21, 2014 3:00 pm

Sooooo...

I just did PT 65, and I do not know whether to be excited about this PT or not.. I have a lot of positive things that happened, and one GLARING negative

Positives

- On the first LR section I got (-3), which is my best individual section of LR so far. On my second LR, I got (-6) which in total, gives me a (-9) which is my lowest amount of missed questions in total for LR for any given test.

- I got a (-1) on LG, which is exactly where I want to be around Test day

- I got a 78 raw score, which ties my highest, and I got a 163 that is my highest PT to date.

- I feel like (almost) everything is finally coming together! My intense LR drilling is starting to pay dividends and I'm hoping to keep improving up until test day..

Now for the horrible Negative...

I BOMBED RC SO BAD THAT I AM EMBARASSED!!!!

Recently, I have been going anywhere between -6 to -8 on RC, which I was hoping to still improve on, but today I went -13!!! I was so frustrated with this result to say the least. If I just would have gotten -9 (which still sucks) that would have bumped me up to a 166!! This is extremely frustrating to say the least... but..

I am wondering if this is sort of a good thing (I mean not GOOD, but maybe not HORRIBLE).. Now I realize my main weakness, and I can attack this up until test day. I still have a little bit of the Manhattan RC to go and I'm just about done with The Trainer which has at least one more lesson on RC..

I might go back and re-read all of the lessons on RC.. hopefully this can improve because I am finally getting towards some good scores!

BaberhamLincoln

Gold

Post by BaberhamLincoln » Wed May 21, 2014 6:38 pm

PT 70 commencing. Nervous :shock:

tfinndogm

Bronze

Post by tfinndogm » Wed May 21, 2014 7:12 pm

got my official "LSAC NOTIFICATION" email about what to bring for test day, etc. Also, online my ticket print date has been moved to next week. ack.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dasani13

Silver

Post by dasani13 » Wed May 21, 2014 7:39 pm

leigh912198972 wrote:PT 70 commencing. Nervous :shock:
Good luck!

Louis1127

Silver

Post by Louis1127 » Wed May 21, 2014 8:44 pm

agalfano wrote:Sooooo...

I just did PT 65, and I do not know whether to be excited about this PT or not.. I have a lot of positive things that happened, and one GLARING negative

Positives

- On the first LR section I got (-3), which is my best individual section of LR so far. On my second LR, I got (-6) which in total, gives me a (-9) which is my lowest amount of missed questions in total for LR for any given test.

- I got a (-1) on LG, which is exactly where I want to be around Test day

- I got a 78 raw score, which ties my highest, and I got a 163 that is my highest PT to date.

- I feel like (almost) everything is finally coming together! My intense LR drilling is starting to pay dividends and I'm hoping to keep improving up until test day..

Now for the horrible Negative...

I BOMBED RC SO BAD THAT I AM EMBARASSED!!!!

Recently, I have been going anywhere between -6 to -8 on RC, which I was hoping to still improve on, but today I went -13!!! I was so frustrated with this result to say the least. If I just would have gotten -9 (which still sucks) that would have bumped me up to a 166!! This is extremely frustrating to say the least... but..

I am wondering if this is sort of a good thing (I mean not GOOD, but maybe not HORRIBLE).. Now I realize my main weakness, and I can attack this up until test day. I still have a little bit of the Manhattan RC to go and I'm just about done with The Trainer which has at least one more lesson on RC..

I might go back and re-read all of the lessons on RC.. hopefully this can improve because I am finally getting towards some good scores!
While I can't help you bey speaking to any of your issues, I just want to say job well done on your improvement. I remember w time when you were struggling, but now you have busted through to LG and LR domination.

I hope to be there with you one day!

lurj

New

Post by lurj » Wed May 21, 2014 8:45 pm

Ran across the infamous dinosaur problem today. I didn't have too much of a problem with it, but I spent so much time on the game preceding it that I had to guess on 3 of the final questions on the final game. thankfully those were the only ones I got wrong.

LG is proving tough to crack for me. I consistently get -3 on pretty much every test I take. Anyone have any resources they would recommend? Ive read LG bible, do the 7sage games... I feel like its the final barrier between me and a high 170 and I only have a few weeks to crack it.

edit: wow. Just quickly flipped through the 3 I guessed on and I solved all three within a minute. Its funny how much better your brain reasons when you don't feel rushed. I think I really need to focus on slowing down and thinking logically about problems during LG.

BaberhamLincoln

Gold

Post by BaberhamLincoln » Wed May 21, 2014 9:36 pm

-5 LR (eh)
-8 RC (actually good for me)
-2 Lg (good)
-7 LR (seriously? FML)

Not happy. I felt so good I thought it was definitely going to be around 167.

Plan to review a ton of material probably the next 9 days and then the last PT

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”