My study regimen and materials...Criticisms?

Nicolena.

My study regimen and materials...Criticisms?

Postby Nicolena. » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:52 pm

I took the LSAT June 2012. I wasn't happy with my score. Im taking the October 2013 test.

Materials:

Kaplan books from the advanced course
(LR, LG, RC)
Blackstone lessons (12 weeks)
Blackstone homework books
(LR, LG, RC)
Cambridge drill books
Flaw, assumption (necessary & sufficient)
MLSAT
(LR, LG, RC)
Complete PTs 1-65

I've considered by the LSAT trainer, but I'm not through with MLSAT yet. The other books I have are basically for drilling.

I've made an excel spreadsheet of the different LR questions by type to keep track of my progress and also see which ones give me problems.

I try to study about 2-4 hrs a day. I usually won't study longer because I work full time. I'm mainly focusing on improving LR. Right now I get -2 or -3 at most in LG sections. I'm trying to finish the MLSAT section on certain problems and then move on to drilling by that type.

How do I get full use out of PTs 1-30? Time is a huge downfall for me, so I'm trying not to focus on full PTs or timing.

Any suggestions?
Last edited by Nicolena. on Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steel_shot

Re: My study regimen and materials...Criticisms?

Postby steel_shot » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:30 pm

Nicolena. wrote:I've took the LSAT June 2012. I wasn't happy with my score. Im taking the October 2013 test.

Materials:

(LR, LG, RC)
(LR, LG, RC)
Cambridge drill books
MLSAT
(LR, LG, RC)
Complete PTs 1-65

I've considered by the LSAT trainer, but I'm not through with MLSAT yet. The other books I have are basically for drilling.

I've made an excel spreadsheet of the different LR questions by type to keep track of my progress and also see which ones give me problems.

I try to study about 2-4 hrs a day. I usually won't study longer because I work full time. I'm mainly focusing on improving LR. Right now I get -2 or -3 at most in LG sections. I'm trying to finish the MLSAT section on certain problems and then move on to drilling by that type.

How do I get full use out of PTs 1-30? Time is a huge downfall for me, so I'm trying not to focus on full PTs or timing.

Any suggestions?

This is just my opinion, but since it sounds like you have a relatively good handle on LG already, just stick with MLSAT and skip Kaplan and Blackstone (although I haven't used either). I think you should work through MLSAT, and drill the relevant cambridge packets for all, unless you consistently get 0 wrong. Cambridge will cover you for PT 1-38, and I think that is the best usage from those tests. Then I think working through the rest of the PTs (do 66-68, they're a bit different, even if it means cutting out some from the early 40s) is best.

Also, http://www.lsatqa.com/ keeps track of missed questions as well, and all you have to do is input answers.

Hope this helps, good luck!

altoid99

Re: My study regimen and materials...Criticisms?

Postby altoid99 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:11 pm

steel_shot wrote:
Nicolena. wrote:I've took the LSAT June 2012. I wasn't happy with my score. Im taking the October 2013 test.

Materials:

(LR, LG, RC)
(LR, LG, RC)
Cambridge drill books
MLSAT
(LR, LG, RC)
Complete PTs 1-65

Any suggestions?

This is just my opinion, but since it sounds like you have a relatively good handle on LG already, just stick with MLSAT and skip Kaplan and Blackstone (although I haven't used either). I think you should work through MLSAT, and drill the relevant cambridge packets for all, unless you consistently get 0 wrong. Cambridge will cover you for PT 1-38, and I think that is the best usage from those tests. Then I think working through the rest of the PTs (do 66-68, they're a bit different, even if it means cutting out some from the early 40s) is best.

Also, http://www.lsatqa.com/ keeps track of missed questions as well, and all you have to do is input answers.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Curious to know what difference you think there is with the most recent LSATs? I also think that the most recent ones are different. I especially noticed it when I was studying for the June LSAT but left the most recent PTs for right before the actual test.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”