What does drilling really consist of.....

Nicolena.

What does drilling really consist of.....

Postby Nicolena. » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:58 am

When everyone talks about drilling are they only doing specific types, a section from a PT? What exactly does this consist of? Also, is timing another factor?

Thanks.

sublime

Re: What does drilling really consist of.....

Postby sublime » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:10 am

magickware

Postby magickware » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:15 am

People are typically talking about stuff from this-

http://www.cambridgelsat.com/problem-sets/logic-games/

And its LR and RC equivalent pages.

Drilling should be entirely about accuracy and learning the patterns and style behind each question type. Timing yourself is rather pointless here, but you shouldn't be spending 3-4 minute on each question unless you're new. There is nothing wrong with spending half an hour on a game; I did that at the start when I had no idea how games worked. But you should always keep in mind that time is of the essence on the LSAT (extend the time by 5 min for each section and most people will get 175+ without all that much trouble). By the end of your drilling each sections, you should be fairly comfortable (ideally just about perfect) with each question type.

Then you move onto individual PTs, where you'll take the PT as a full 5 section (just cannibalize from other PTs. Choose 1 PT to cannibalize for 5 PTs, then move onto another PT or use a section you've already seen and aim for a perfect score on it) and timed just about as perfectly as you can. If you do anything that gives you more time, then you note it and will try to eliminate it in the future.

Afterwards, you review by looking at every question that gave you a hard time. Doesn't matter whether you got it right. You should understand why every answer choice is wrong and vice versa. This is key.

objection_your_honor

Postby objection_your_honor » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:16 am

Cambridge and other companies have questions/games/passages sorted by type. Any time you are focusing on a particular type in isolation, that's "drilling."

Also, I know Cambridge LSAT is reading this: How come you don't have tests 39+ in the same way? You're missing out on the lucrative retaker market.

EDIT: thorough response above. I'm slow.

logical seasoning

Postby logical seasoning » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:01 am

Drilling Logic Games: Do a section of games and time how long it takes you to do each game. Go to 7sage's logic game explanations to look over any game in which you missed a question/ solved in over 9 minutes.

Cambridge LSAT

Postby Cambridge LSAT » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:10 am

objection_your_honor wrote:Also, I know Cambridge LSAT is reading this: How come you don't have tests 39+ in the same way? You're missing out on the lucrative retaker market.

We have tests 41-60 grouped by type in these three books:
LG by Type, Volume 3
LR by Type, Volume 3
RC by Type, Volume 3

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”