Tutor/course and LG time management problems - help?

shootforthestars

Tutor/course and LG time management problems - help?

Postby shootforthestars » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:59 pm

I realize that variations of this have probably been asked already, but I just wanted confirmation that my thoughts on tutoring/courses aren't all in my head, plus advice on LG time management and tutoring (or a course). I'm studying for the October LSAT - my diagnostic test was high 150s and a more recent practice test I took was about 165. I'm aiming for 170+.

My dad is really pushing for me to take a course, but from what I've read it sounds like that could be a waste of money or even detrimental. Thoughts on this? My judgement with what my dad says is generally biased, so a clear outside perspective would be appreciated.

I am tempted by his offer to pay for tutoring, especially given that I'm disproportionately struggling with logic games (I feel like a tutor would be able to zero in on this section and not cover superfluous material like a class would). My particular trouble with logic games is time management - I've noticed with self-studying my accuracy has greatly improved (I've worked through the whole LG Bible now and I'm starting on the LG Bible Workbook), but my time management has not. Is that the sort of thing tutoring could help me with, or is that something that comes more from taking loads of practice tests? If you think tutoring would help, should I wait until after I've finished working through all the books/done at least 10 practice tests to look for a tutor? Or should I start now?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Kellanj

Re: Tutor/course and LG time management problems - help?

Postby Kellanj » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:23 pm

My diagnostic was 159 and I ended up averaging around 175 towards the end of my studying without using a course or tutor so it is possible. My advice for LG time management is simple repetition. Buy workbooks that drill by the game type and do them over and over again until you get where you need to be on your PT's. This helps because you will begin to recognize certain rule patterns and will become more efficient at diagraming. However, I wouldn't recommend working on speed until you can consistently get 100% on untamed LG sections, but that's just what worked for me.

Cambridge and Powerscore both make game type workbooks I believe.

I'm sure a tutor would help as well, but probably not necessary unless you just aren't getting the logic behind the games whatsoever.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:36 am

A lot of people will tell you that repetition helps timing, and that's true. But, generally, someone who knows what they're talking about (e.g. a tutor) can sit down and watch you do a LG. Then, they can tell you specifically where you're losing time, because I have never met someone who was self-aware enough while working on a game to figure that stuff out.

I've done this for a TON of students. Some lose time on each step because they stay on it too long. Some take time thinking about what they're going to do next instead of doing it. Others lose a few seconds on each question, which adds up. Others get bogged down on a single question that tanks their entire timeframe. Knowing which of these is your problem is the first step in fixing it.

So I think there is some benefit to be had from a tutor (though I'm, essentially, a Used Tutor Salesman, so take what I say with some salt). It's in no way necessary, but getting a single session might be enough to figure out where you're losing time and set up a plan for you to fix it without spending hours upon hours hoping it corrects itself through practice.

Reframe

Postby Reframe » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:42 am

Also a tutor, but I agree with bp. This is exactly the kind of "consultant" role that many tutors will excel at.

shootforthestars

Postby shootforthestars » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:13 pm

I personally do tend to lean more towards the self-prep, but bp shinners made some pretty convincing case for a tutor and my dad's willing to pay (and is, in fact, very aggressively pushing for me to go to a tutor or class...more so the latter, but the former is acceptable), so I may try tutoring. In that case, do you all think that online tutoring would be helpful, (and if so, through what group/company) or should I try for in-person? I live in a rather less-populated county, so if this was going to be a multiple-time thing (which doesn't sound like would necessarily have to be the case, but I'd like it to be an option), it'd be preferable if I didn't have to drive all the way to the nearest large city...my odds of finding a LSAT tutor locally (of any sort, although a good tutor would be even harder) are slim to none. I'm willing to make the drive, if you all think it'd be worth it for in-person tutoring, but if there's not much of a difference I'd rather try for online.

Also, do you all think that I should try the repetition thing first and then see a tutor, or should I start seeing one now?

Thanks so much for the feedback!

Reframe

Postby Reframe » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:29 pm

My students have found online tutoring helpful in the past. It's not quite as good as in-person tutoring, but it seems like there are going to be some logistical problems with that.

This'll sound self-interested, but I think it's good to talk to a tutor sooner rather than later. You don't want to use up all of your material before trying alternative approaches or honing your methods. You've already narrowed down what you want to be working on, so, more or less, I think now or soon is the ideal time for a tutor to get involved.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”