is it actually worth it to take an online class?

flash21

is it actually worth it to take an online class?

Postby flash21 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:07 pm

anyone see any point in doing these, or have done them with success? was thinking from 7sage

NanaP

Re: is it actually worth it to take an online class?

Postby NanaP » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:09 pm

flash21 wrote:anyone see any point in doing these, or have done them with success? was thinking from 7sage

7Sage is good.

flash21

Postby flash21 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:10 pm

NanaP wrote:
flash21 wrote:anyone see any point in doing these, or have done them with success? was thinking from 7sage

7Sage is good.

could you elaborate? how did you like it.. how much did you improve? etc

NanaP

Postby NanaP » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:42 pm

flash21 wrote:
NanaP wrote:

7Sage is good.

could you elaborate? how did you like it.. how much did you improve? etc

I started Manhattan first, still wasn't getting it after going through the three books. I think they were good in that they gave me lots of practice, but I learned a lot of the neat tricks in logic games and LR from 7SAGE, everything started to click. I am still going through it, not done with the course. I now complete LG with -0, most of the time it's -1 through -3. but that's way better than what I used to get, which was like -12 and running out of time. for reading comprehension, well that's a different story. But everyone is different, I learn better when I watch the videos vs studying the books. try it for free, then decide., but I think it's worth it, if you have the time to go through it.

Manhattan LSAT Noah

Postby Manhattan LSAT Noah » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:51 pm

Just to clarify the conversation, there are a bunch of types of online learning, from cheapest to most expensive (though prices vary):

1. Video explanations (explanations for games, generally)
2. Instructional video lessons (video, or sometimes low-fi Khan-academy style)
3. Instructional video course (similar to #2, but includes books)
4. Interactive video course
5. Live online course in which you're actually working with a teacher)

There's a real difference in these different programs. Explanations vs. interaction, etc. Personally, MLSAT focuses on #4 and #5, but if you can get what you need from a cheaper program, go for it.

NanaP

Postby NanaP » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:57 pm

Manhattan LSAT Noah wrote:Just to clarify the conversation, there are a bunch of types of online learning, from cheapest to most expensive (though prices vary):

1. Video explanations (explanations for games, generally)
2. Instructional video lessons (video, or sometimes low-fi Khan-academy style)
3. Instructional video course (similar to #2, but includes books)
4. Interactive video course
5. Live online course in which you're actually working with a teacher)

There's a real difference in these different programs. Explanations vs. interaction, etc. Personally, MLSAT focuses on #4 and #5, but if you can get what you need from a cheaper program, go for it.

It wasn't a slight at MLSAT, I actually think your books are the best around....I was just saying for my learning style, 7sage fit better

Manhattan LSAT Noah

Postby Manhattan LSAT Noah » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:18 pm

NanaP wrote:It wasn't a slight at MLSAT, I actually think your books are the best around....I was just saying for my learning style, 7sage fit better

No, no, I didn't think there was any criticism intended (though everyone should feel free to point out strengths and weaknesses of all the different programs), I was just trying to help the OP understand the landscape.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:48 am

Online courses are actually exploding in popularity and enrollments because of their flexibility and the ability to re-watch the lessons after you've gone through them once. We're seeing a ton of growth in ours; I'd imagine others are seeing similar increases.

The important thing to remember is that online courses aren't better/worse than live ones - they're just different. There are a lot of different offerings that have different features, and you should find the one that matches what you want to get out of a course.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”