Reading Comprehension

Solidus

Reading Comprehension

Postby Solidus » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:24 pm

Hey I was just wondering how you guys study for the reading section. What books should I use? I used the Powerscore RC Bible and I thought it was alright, but it was not on par with the LG and LR Bibles. I just think that I did bad on yesterday's reading section and I want to do better in October.

cahwc12

Re: Reading Comprehension

Postby cahwc12 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:25 pm

Use actual RC passages. There are nearly 300 available. You can read through either the RC Bible or Manhattan RC guide or ______ (insert some other guide) and get the jist of how you should be focusing your search.

But really the best way to improve is by doing actual RC passages. Do 1 every morning when you get up and make it the first thing you see. Do a full, timed section at least a few times per week and then save difficult passages to repeat later.

There are plenty of guides out there, but being told what to do isn't going to help you nearly as much as learning for yourself through practice. Don't be like most test takers who put off RC and then wonder why it's their weakest section--put as much time into RC as you do LG and LR and you will improve just as in the other sections.

mx23250

Postby mx23250 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:55 pm

cahwc12 wrote:Use actual RC passages. There are nearly 300 available. You can read through either the RC Bible or Manhattan RC guide or ______ (insert some other guide) and get the jist of how you should be focusing your search.

But really the best way to improve is by doing actual RC passages. Do 1 every morning when you get up and make it the first thing you see. Do a full, timed section at least a few times per week and then save difficult passages to repeat later.

There are plenty of guides out there, but being told what to do isn't going to help you nearly as much as learning for yourself through practice. Don't be like most test takers who put off RC and then wonder why it's their weakest section--put as much time into RC as you do LG and LR and you will improve just as in the other sections.

Excellent advice. I've read the PS and MLSAT RC books but I've seen the strongest improvements once I really started focusing heavy on doing actual RC passages.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:07 pm

The RCB is a paperweight. Pick up the Manhattan RC guide.

Solidus

Postby Solidus » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:11 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:The RCB is a paperweight. Pick up the Manhattan RC guide.

Thanks. Btw is Manhattan's LR and LG guides compared to PS?

jp7420

Postby jp7420 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:30 pm

Do you have trouble with speed, accuracy, or both?

I found that starting off by trying to do single RC passages (not in the entire sections) in 8-9 minutes was somewhat helpful, before moving on to doing the whole RC section in time.

JSRarri

Postby JSRarri » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:14 pm

Read avidly and make a habbit of reading the economist, then test yourself to see how much information you retain.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:49 am

Solidus wrote:
Clearlynotstefan wrote:The RCB is a paperweight. Pick up the Manhattan RC guide.

Thanks. Btw is Manhattan's LR and LG guides compared to PS?

Both are good in lr and LG, the Manhattan lsat program is just so much better for reading comprehension.

logical seasoning

Postby logical seasoning » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:07 am

RC is all about finding your strategy. Some high scorers I know read the passage quickly once without putting pencil on paper and frequently go back to the passage. Others mark it up as heavy as a Logic Game, then quickly solve the questions. Doing as many RC passages and seeing what works for you via trial and error is all what it is about.

Personally, My strategy that I took into test day was "read fast circle hard"

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”