Road to LG Perfection?

Iroh

Road to LG Perfection?

Postby Iroh » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:03 pm

So I took the LSAT today, and unlike everyone else, got completely flustered by logic games (well, only the 3rd game, really). However, I felt unusually confident with RC and about average with LR. I'm not sure what happened, but LG has consistently been what's kept me back from the score I want ( had been PTing around 174, would have PTed around 176-178 with perfect LG).

I'm 99% sure I will be canceling my score soon and retaking in October. Can anyone, particularly retakers who initially did poorly on LG, tell me how they got logic games to click for them and achieve a consistent -0? I know I probably should have drilled more (one more month and I think I would have nailed it), but can anyone give me specifics? And should I hire a tutor or sign up with Velocity to ensure success? So far I've just been self-studying with Manhattan and reviewing LG with 7sage's free videos.

PotenC

Re: Road to LG Perfection?

Postby PotenC » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:09 pm

OP, I took the LSAT today too and had the exact same problem. The third game completely destroyed me, and I decided to skip and finish the fourth one and went back to the third one with 6 minutes remaining. Things apparently clicked (but with this kind of thing I can't say for sure and it might be better to err on the side of pessimism) and I managed to bang out three of the questions before guessing on the last two.

On the other hand, I've never had such good performance on the other sections. The RC seemed to be relatively straightforward and I had only a few problems with LR that I still managed to get a "feel" for. It's kinda discouraging to hear that everyone else had a different experience and makes you wonder if you didn't do as well on those other sections as you thought you did haha.

My PT range is around yours as well.

I think it would be better to not cancel the score though. Who knows, you may very well have done perfectly on the other sections so as to mitigate the LG section. Besides, if you hypothetically got a 170 this time and retook for a 175+, those two scores may arguably look better than a canceled score and a good one. Just my opinion.

Iroh

Postby Iroh » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:15 pm

Hmm, when you put it that way I'm not so sure if I should cancel. I told myself that if I got a 175 or higher I wouldn't retake, and if I got anything lower than a 172 I would definitely retake, but never made any plans beforehand about whether I would cancel or not. If I did somehow ace the other 3 sections....

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:22 pm

which was the 3rd? I forget

was paralegals 3 or 4?

PotenC

Postby PotenC » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:24 pm

I think you and I are more or less in the same boat. With that kind of score target, I'm gonna guess you're shooting for the T14 if not very high up the T14 (depending on your GPA). From what I've read lurking around this forum, canceled scores tend to look pretty fishy to law schools, whereas multiple scores are rarely considered negatively, especially in this down economy. And even if they were, I'd say a 170 and a 175+ would hardly be much of a detriment. I think they're a bigger deal if the first was a significantly lower percentile, like a 160 or something.

Three weeks is such a long wait though. :? I feel you.
Last edited by PotenC on Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PotenC

Postby PotenC » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:24 pm

Last edited by PotenC on Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Iroh

Postby Iroh » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:34 pm

They really think it's fishy if you have a canceled score? :| That's odd. I would think it would be the opposite. If someone has a canceled score for their first take and a 170+ score for their second, I could see an admin saying, "Oh, maybe he was sick when he first took it, so he canceled because he realized he wasn't performing at peak conditioning." Whereas with a jump from say, 95th to 99th percentile, I could see an uptight admin saying, "Why didn't he just get his shit together the first time?" Granted, I don't think it's very fair, but it strikes me as plausible. Maybe some other folks could chime in?

But yeah, I think the lowest I could have received would be a 168-169 (unless I completely blew it or the curve is crazy strict). Thanks for the support, though, PotenC. It's good to know I'm not the only one.

PotenC

Postby PotenC » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:53 pm

Last edited by PotenC on Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Iroh

Postby Iroh » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:03 pm

Allright you've convinced me. I'm still gonna be studying my ass off for the next month, but I won't cancel. I guess part of me wanted to cancel just so that I would HAVE to retake, because if I hit the low 170s I was worried I would just say fuck it. But I think I'll just wait to see what happened. Oh man. Freaking out right now. Fingers crossed. Good luck.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:15 pm

Don't cancel.

Iroh

Postby Iroh » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:19 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:Don't cancel.

Thanks, I think that is the right choice as well (Jesus I'm a pushover). Any advice on acing LG? I see that you can take an LG only version of Velocity. For $250 that doesn't sound like a terrible deal.

untar614

Postby untar614 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:31 pm

Yeah,I too had issues with that question set, and I usually ace LG on practice tests. I feel like I mustve missed a rule or something, cuz it just seemed like there weren't enough rules to really determine anything solidly, and the other question sets seemed fine. I really wanna get my hands on this question set asap cuz mow im just dying to work through them with more time to figure out what it is I was missing.

PotenC

Postby PotenC » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:33 pm

Good to hear man. Here's hoping that our scores are well above expectations in 3 weeks.

If you don't mind me asking, what's your GPA? I'm trying to see if I have a potential numbers twin for this cycle, haha.

Iroh

Postby Iroh » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:45 pm

PM'd.

freaksandghouls

Postby freaksandghouls » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:49 am

PotenC wrote:I think you and I are more or less in the same boat. With that kind of score target, I'm gonna guess you're shooting for the T14 if not very high up the T14 (depending on your GPA). From what I've read lurking around this forum, canceled scores tend to look pretty fishy to law schools, whereas multiple scores are rarely considered negatively, especially in this down economy. And even if they were, I'd say a 170 and a 175+ would hardly be much of a detriment. I think they're a bigger deal if the first was a significantly lower percentile, like a 160 or something.

Three weeks is such a long wait though. :? I feel you.

Hey dude - quick note - I did an incredible prep program last summer for disadvantaged students at NYU Law, and the consensus from the former admissions officers and people in my program is that ONE CANCEL is totally acceptable. Once you hit two, then you need to explain. I think that a cancel is better than two scores because many, many scores do averages, you can check this on their FAQ. Just a heads up!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”