Motivation when studying

Nicolena.

Motivation when studying

Postby Nicolena. » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:38 pm

How do you stay motivated when studying? Do you leave your house? Leave your phone somewhere you can't get to it? Advice? I'm trying to get through these MLSAT books but I find myself taking so many breaks.

Jeffort

Re: Motivation when studying

Postby Jeffort » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:42 pm

Nicolena. wrote:How do you stay motivated when studying? Do you leave your house? Leave your phone somewhere you can't get to it? Advice? I'm trying to get through these MLSAT books but I find myself taking so many breaks.

Yeah, if you have trouble resisting distractions you should leave your house, go a library or somewhere, only take LSAT stuff with you, turn off your phone and force yourself to stay there and study for a predetermined amount of time.

jad0re

Postby jad0re » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:27 pm

edit
Last edited by jad0re on Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:29 pm

Remind myself that I have a humanities degree.

meanmugger

Postby meanmugger » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:36 pm

californiauser wrote:Remind myself that I have a humanities degree.

This. Most clearly and unequivocally this.

BentleyLittle

Postby BentleyLittle » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:42 pm

Definitely leave the house. Also, have you tried downloading the "self control" app for your smartphone (assuming you have one)? It blocks access to your apps, texts, etc even if you restart your phone.

magickware

Postby magickware » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:03 pm

And that my GPA sucks and I desperately need a high LSAT score to get into a T-14.

KD35

Postby KD35 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:05 pm

Nicolena. wrote:How do you stay motivated when studying? Do you leave your house? Leave your phone somewhere you can't get to it? Advice? I'm trying to get through these MLSAT books but I find myself taking so many breaks.

Reminding myself that this matters in helping me get a job.

The LSAT Trainer

Postby The LSAT Trainer » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:18 pm

I have something that really works for me -- it's a bit neurotic and definitely not for everyone --

I use a timer and work in chunks -- generally it's related to a specific goal -- within the next hour I will get X or Y done, etc. -- I set the timer and like a pavlovian dog start working -- when the time is up, if I'm really into my work I'll keep pushing, but otherwise I'll take a break for a few minutes, answer emails and such, figure out what I want to accomplish next, then set the timer again --

I have found that this works better and better for me the more I do it -- I think the built in breaks, the specific goals, and the specific timeframe all allow me to focus on my work better -- it's also a great and honest way to keep track of how much I actually accomplish in a day --

HTH -- Mike

nyjets2090

Postby nyjets2090 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:21 pm

JSRarri

Postby JSRarri » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:09 pm

By reminding myself that if I don't ace this test I will be miserable and struggling to make ends meet at crappy job with other miserable people as opposed to being sattled in law school debt, selling my soul, and working with miserable people, while making a 6 figure salary.

laww

Postby laww » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:13 pm

magickware wrote:

And that my GPA sucks and I desperately need a high LSAT score to get into a T-14.

I have a CS degree and our program was hard... :/

I have a low (average at my school though) GPA but I need to ace the LSAT so I can get into a good school, buy my parents a house, buy my dad a better car than the old honda he drives...

YE

BACK TO OWNING THE LR

Nicolena.

Postby Nicolena. » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:13 am

BentleyLittle wrote:Definitely leave the house. Also, have you tried downloading the "self control" app for your smartphone (assuming you have one)? It blocks access to your apps, texts, etc even if you restart your phone.

This is hilarious. I didn't even know this existed. Ill look for it. Thanks.

alexrodriguez

Postby alexrodriguez » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:21 am

JSRarri wrote:By reminding myself that if I don't ace this test I will be miserable and struggling to make ends meet at crappy job with other miserable people as opposed to being sattled in law school debt, selling my soul, and working with miserable people, while making a 6 figure salary.

magickware wrote: My GPA sucks and I desperately need a high LSAT score to get into a T-14.

SecondWind

Postby SecondWind » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:31 am

IMO you HAVE to get out of the house. I'm ALWAYS more productive when I go to the library because I can't play Xbox or stare in the fridge for 5 min and decide I'm not hungry and instead want to go take a nap. I either turn my phone off or put it on airplane mode, so I can use the Kaplan test proctor app (contrapose that sentence for practice). Also, tell yourself you going to get through this many LR problems or 2 LG games or something like that before you take a break.
"Sticking" it to people is what motivates me. I just embody the satisfaction of my parents realizing that the decisions (which they don't approve of) I made pertaining to law school and the LSAT were actually smart moves and that they were wrong and I was right about it the entire time. Additionally, I think of all the people that didn't think I was good enough to be friends with or girls that didn't think I was good enough for them. I guess I feel like I have something to prove to them to earn some respect; I'm better and much more intelligent than they give me credit for. It's probably not a "doctor approved" method as source for motivation, but hot damn does it get me fired up! Please excuse me while I go CRUSH a couple sections now. Hope this helps! KCCO!

cannibal ox

Postby cannibal ox » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:33 am

I rely on my natural Irish Catholic guilt. Gets me every time.

sublime

Postby sublime » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:35 am

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:01 am

BentleyLittle wrote:Definitely leave the house. Also, have you tried downloading the "self control" app for your smartphone (assuming you have one)? It blocks access to your apps, texts, etc even if you restart your phone.

This is brilliant. The guy or gal that invented this app is going to become rich off of it.

SecondWind

Postby SecondWind » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:00 am

sublime wrote:http://i.imgur.com/zEd7392.jpg

That embodies what I wanted to say in a lot fewer words.

JSRarri

Postby JSRarri » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:21 pm

louierodriguez wrote:

JSRarri wrote:By reminding myself that if I don't ace this test I will be miserable and struggling to make ends meet at crappy job with other miserable people as opposed to being sattled in law school debt, selling my soul, and working with miserable people, while making a 6 figure salary.

magickware wrote: My GPA sucks and I desperately need a high LSAT score to get into a T-14.

Oh yes, and I forgot to mention my useful philosophy degree. FML

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”