SHOULD I CANCEL!!!???

ericmak
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:13 pm

SHOULD I CANCEL!!!???

Postby ericmak » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:21 pm

Hey first time poster - would really appreciate some advice. --- So here is my situation..

Got a 162 on 1st LSAT attempt.. did not prepare properly etc..

Have been prep testing at 168-171

However on todays exam i royally messed up the LG section. Got 2 games 100%, hung up on a few of the questions in the game that was "stacked", -- but probably got them right. Then in the S/J game i had to leave 3 blank and make educated guesses (which I am assuming are all incorrect).

Only other section I am concerned about is the LG section that immediately followed the games. My order was

LR
LG
LR -- COULD THIS BE THE TEST SECTION?
LR
RC

Assuming its a 10 point curve, and I get (safe estimate) -3 on both LR and -4 on RC, then -6 (worst case scenario) LG this would put me at a 84 or scaled to a ~166.

Am i better off canceling, and retaking in October, or seeing how I do, maybe surprise myself, and if not, retake in Oct?


Sorry for the long post....

User avatar
jas1503
Posts: 313
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:27 pm

Re: SHOULD I CANCEL!!!???

Postby jas1503 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:23 pm

Why not keep your score and retake, if it's lower than you expect. As long as you feel confident that you're above 162, then keep it imo

User avatar
hephaestus
Posts: 2385
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: SHOULD I CANCEL!!!???

Postby hephaestus » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:25 pm

Stop panicking and keep it.

User avatar
Micdiddy
Posts: 2189
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: SHOULD I CANCEL!!!???

Postby Micdiddy » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:27 pm

Sounds like a keep and retake. No need to cancel really, especially since you're estimating a score better than your first.

User avatar
Dog
Posts: 371
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:00 am

Re: SHOULD I CANCEL!!!???

Postby Dog » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:42 pm

Yeah there's no promise you'll do better than 162 in the future. Imagine the consequences of cancelling a 169 or something and then scoring 163 on your next try. If it's almost definitely better than you've done previously I say keep it.

User avatar
Magnalum
Posts: 94
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:36 pm

Re: SHOULD I CANCEL!!!???

Postby Magnalum » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:44 pm

.
Last edited by Magnalum on Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

californiauser
Posts: 1181
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:10 am

Re: SHOULD I CANCEL!!!???

Postby californiauser » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:46 pm

I had the same test as you did. I'm pretty sure S3 was the experimental. 10-16 were abnormally hard.

ericmak
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:13 pm

Re: SHOULD I CANCEL!!!???

Postby ericmak » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:28 pm

Magnalum wrote: Edit: does canceling still make the test count as one of the three you are allowed every 2 years?


Thanks for advice everyone, but does anyone have any insight on this point? I think ill be giving LSAC a call in the morning to find out about this.

User avatar
Iroh
Posts: 129
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:20 pm

Re: SHOULD I CANCEL!!!???

Postby Iroh » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:36 pm

A canceled score still counts as one of your 3 tries, unless I'm very much mistaken. It's only withdrawals (which must be completed at least by the night before) which are penalty free.

Can't let us cretins take the LSAT without suffering the consequences, I suppose.

ericmak
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:13 pm

Re: SHOULD I CANCEL!!!???

Postby ericmak » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:50 pm

Hmm.. ya after looking on LSAC, it is indeed true that it counts as one of the 3 tries. Maybe I will try to submit a complaint about today's testing (Every test taker arrived at the assigned location only to find out at 12:45 that the exam was actually in a different building across Lehigh University's campus -- not our fault, we were simply not informed of any change, NOBODY knew the updated location) and consequently the exam began approx. 2 hours late. Maybe they will forgive this test and give me a freebie try if i decide to cancel this.. that way I'll have October and December available.

User avatar
nyjets2090
Posts: 134
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:38 pm

Re: SHOULD I CANCEL!!!???

Postby nyjets2090 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:00 pm

Do NOT cancel tonight.

You will have 6 days to get a signed letter to LSAC, so you have a day or two to think about it. Make an honest assessment of how you did, but don't assume the curve. -10 is a great assumption, but it could very well be -11.

That said, I could never cancel because I would always wonder what I got.

Then again, most scales outside of YHS and N don't care about retakes. There's even anecdotal that H is lenient on stuff like 168-170 improving to 174+.

Only you can make this decision, but don't make it today or tomorrow. If you do decide to cancel, make sure you overnight it to LSAC so there's no chance that it won't arrive on time.

User avatar
Magnalum
Posts: 94
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:36 pm

Re: SHOULD I CANCEL!!!???

Postby Magnalum » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:18 pm

.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: blumodernist, Majestic-12 [Bot], nahmjun, Pneumonia, Pozzo, Yahoo [Bot] and 25 guests