Retake in October while studying abroad or retake in Feb??

Retake in October while studying abroad or retake in Feb??

Postby ballsoharduniversity » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:15 pm

I just took the June exam earlier today and am 99% sure I bombed it. Having spent the last few months studying for it and taking a class, I feel super discouraged and I'm nowhere where I want to be (goal is to break 170). But, I was also busy focusing on my grades this past semester so I know I didn't have really as much time to study for the test anyways or get my timing down, which makes me feel somewhat less discouraged.

I want to continue studying this summer and work with a tutor to focus on my weaknesses and my timing (LR kills me every time). I'm graduating early this December and will be studying abroad in Sydney for my final semester so if I were to retake, I could either take the October exam abroad, or wait till Feb when I'll be home. I don't want to do December because there's going to be way too much of a gap in between working with a tutor this summer and the December exam. However, I'm struggling to decide which would be the best course of action.

If I retake in October:

- Only about a month in between finishing up with a tutor/arriving in Sydney in early September and the October test, so I can take the test without completely forgetting everything
- Can apply for this upcoming '13-'14 cycle and not have to wait a whole year to wait to apply for the next cycle

- Have to travel alone/deal with finding transportation to the testing center in Sydney (my mom hates this idea and is already scared enough that I'm going abroad... I'm not too keen on traveling alone in a cab to the testing center either, but if it needs to be done, I'll do it)
- Complete all my essays, resume, etc this summer to prepare for apps in the event that I do end up applying for the '13-'14 cycle
- GPA not finalized since I still have one last semester left
- Rush to get recs from professors, especially since I don't know what my score will be and where I can apply with my score (Also, when is the best time to ask professors for recs?)

If I retake in February:

- Not worry too much about the LSAT while abroad
- Work with a tutor this summer and when I come back from Sydney, which would give me me about a month and a half to prepare again before the Feb exam
- Apply for the '14-'15 cycle instead and work for a year before applying
- If Feb doesn't work out for whatever reason, I can take June '14 and still be able to apply for the '14-'15 cycle
- GPA will be finalized and will be a little higher than it is as of now (taking joke classes abroad, only one is a real class and it's the only class I need to graduate)

- Having to miss the upcoming cycle
- No guarantee I'll have a job that will keep me occupied for a year

I know it probably seems like waiting till Feb '14 sounds like a better idea, but I just hate the idea of having to wait around that long. Plus, when I do end up getting accepted somewhere, I'll have to wait a while again until I actually start law school. I'm just scared that I'm going to get lazy and not take the exam as seriously when February comes around and I've just gotten back from being abroad. Can anyone give me some advice/insight on what I should do??

Re: Retake in October while studying abroad or retake in Feb??

Postby jas1503 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:21 pm

If you're going to take it in Sydney, then you'll probably be alright.

Re: Retake in October while studying abroad or retake in Feb??

Postby redecember » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:48 pm

I say retake in feb..

You do not want to ruin your experience in Sydney by studying for the lsat :p

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”