One year to prepare, what should I do?

Toby Ziegler

One year to prepare, what should I do?

Postby Toby Ziegler » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:30 am

. Anonymity
Last edited by Toby Ziegler on Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

MT Cicero

Re: One year to prepare, what should I do?

Postby MT Cicero » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:42 am

First, you goofed up your acronym in the 2nd word of your post. Tough start.

In all seriousness, I'd grab Manhattan as well. I really benefited from their LR and RC. My first timed test was 160 and I was able to get a 173 just over 2 months later on my LSAT with Manhattan and pithypike. Look up pithypike's method on here. Follow it. Stay focused. Drill your face off. Drill it off some more. As you get to a couple months out, bring in PTs under test conditions. Follow with thorough review, reverting back to whatever guides fit best for you.

Others may have better advice on how to spread this out over a year. I personally think 6 solid months would get just about anyone to their potential if they hit it hard.

Nova

Postby Nova » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:43 am

Get these materials: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=195603

Start off by reading the PSBs and M. Drill question types once you finish reading about them.

Toby Ziegler

Postby Toby Ziegler » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:45 am

Last edited by Toby Ziegler on Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nova

Postby Nova » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:51 am

Travis12 wrote:That's the main issue I am running into,is deciding how to spread this out over a year without burning myself out too quickly, and without being lax because I am giving myself a year.

Just start slow by reading the guides

Its like riding a bike. You wont forget it after its internalized, so you may as well build a foundation now. Im guessing you wont be studying nonstop for a yea, which is fine. Putting the books down for a while and taking time off will be refreashing.

Just be careful about not burning through all the material too fast. Start with the oldest tests. Spend as much time as possible reviewing. Stay away PTs 50+ until like 3 or 4 months out.

Toby Ziegler

Postby Toby Ziegler » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:03 pm

Last edited by Toby Ziegler on Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

MT Cicero

Postby MT Cicero » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:13 pm

Travis12 wrote:
Nova wrote:
Travis12 wrote:That's the main issue I am running into,is deciding how to spread this out over a year without burning myself out too quickly, and without being lax because I am giving myself a year.

Its like riding a bike. You wont forget it after its internalized, so you may as well build a foundation now. Im guessing you wont be studying nonstop for a yea, which is fine. Putting the books down for a while and taking time off will be refreashing.

Just be careful about not burning through all the material too fast. Start with the oldest tests. Spend as much time as possible reviewing. Stay away PTs 50+ until like 3 or 4 months out.

Brilliant avatar.

Good stuff. I don't want to start my prep 2-3 months out and not have enough time. It may be pertinent to note that I am married and have a little guy so I have a tad more on my plate than the average individual.

I was exactly the same. And I was TDY with the Air Force two separate times in the 10 weeks I had to study. Depending on the age of your son, I assume about a 8:00 bedtime? I was a drilling animal between 8:00-10:30 every M-F. I did about 4-6 hours per weekend day (2.5 per night after bedtime + a library trip for a PT usually).

My AF base is a 55-minute drive one way, so there's a nice almost 2-hour commute daily. And all I had to do was work 50-55 hours a week while I was there!

I say this all to let you know that it is 100% doable! Spend time with family. Be a wild man at night/early mornings & on the weekends. But as my avatar said, "A man that doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."

Good luck, break 170!

sublime

Postby sublime » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:26 pm

Clyde Frog

Postby Clyde Frog » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:27 pm

Last edited by Clyde Frog on Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Toby Ziegler

Postby Toby Ziegler » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:05 pm

Last edited by Toby Ziegler on Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:32 am, edited 3 times in total.

magickware

Postby magickware » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:28 pm

Read all the guides at the sticky on top and make your game-plan from there?

Toby Ziegler

Postby Toby Ziegler » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:35 am

Thanks everyone for the input, anymore input would be welcomed. Things that worked for you resources etc. Again thanks gang!

MT Cicero

Postby MT Cicero » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:57 am

I followed this almost exactly: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41657

I created an Excel spreadsheet on day 1 (and updated it over time). It had a nice matrix of all the sections, including every single LG by type. I conditionally formatted any one game to highlight yellow with a time > 7m59s and highlight red >10m or if I missed a single question. I started by drilling LG type (yes, I made 3 copies of every damn LG from the PTs). With a year, you could be pretty creative.

Realize that this is gravy. The meat & potatoes is simply getting into the PS and Manhattan guides and drilling sections. By drilling, I mean doing (for example) 2-3 LR sections from older PTs. Then, review them thoroughly! I usually left a little star on ones that troubled me or that I was less than 99.5% sure on! I would at a minimum review all starred and missed questions. Make copies if you want so you can get back through them, since you'll have a year. I would typically drill either LR or RC on a given day and LG every day, Mainly just doing easier games first and all of the same type (classified in a link within the link I posted above). I'd do somewhere between 6-10 games a night after drilling the other sections. LGs were more fun so I'd rather do them later at night when I'm a bit tired.

Again, follow the link up top and get to work!

My full, timed PTs came earlier than yours need to due to my truncated time schedule. Less than $200 in books & copies at FedEx and you'll be on your way.

Toby Ziegler

Postby Toby Ziegler » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:30 am

Last edited by Toby Ziegler on Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

alexrodriguez

Postby alexrodriguez » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:42 am

Dude! I'm taking the test June 2014 as well!

That makes us best friends! I'll see you at a T14!

Hopefully you'll be in my section.

MT Cicero

Postby MT Cicero » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:27 am

Travis, yes you can write in the test booklet. I wouldn't recommend drilling with an answer sheet necessarily. That's a lot of hassle. I'm sure some people do. I just circled the correct answer while I was drilling, especially just on the copies I made of LG.

But yes, write as needed.

nyjets2090

Postby nyjets2090 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:36 am

sublime wrote:
Nova wrote:

After not looking at the material for 8 months I took a PT and scored exactly what I had been. Don't take that long of a break, but I don't think you need to worry much about "forgetting"

This.

Your speed might be off for games, but LR hits you like a wave. I think RC sticks with you the most. Studying for the LSAT I think has made me a better reader in general.

Toby Ziegler

Postby Toby Ziegler » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:46 pm

Last edited by Toby Ziegler on Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Toby Ziegler

Postby Toby Ziegler » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:50 pm

Last edited by Toby Ziegler on Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JSRarri

Postby JSRarri » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:44 pm

louierodriguez wrote:Dude! I'm taking the test June 2014 as well!

That makes us best friends! I'll see you at a T14!

Hopefully you'll be in my section.

That makes three of us, hollaaa.

Toby Ziegler

Postby Toby Ziegler » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:50 pm

Thanks guys for all your input, I am implementing most things that were suggested. I am always open to suggestions!

kiyoku

Postby kiyoku » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:49 pm

sublime wrote:
Nova wrote:

After not looking at the material for 8 months I took a PT and scored exactly what I had been. Don't take that long of a break, but I don't think you need to worry much about "forgetting"

Woww.. i thought that a long break would surely decrease one's score..

Nova

Postby Nova » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:54 pm

Maybe a little at first because of rust, but its easy to get back into rhythm

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”