Princeton Review tests are fakes?

Misdirected

Princeton Review tests are fakes?

Postby Misdirected » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:07 am

I was reading the how I scored 180 articles and one guy says that he felt the PR tests were harder, I take that to mean they're were also counterfeits, and I hope they are since I don't want to exhaust actual tests until October nears.

magickware

Re: Princeton Review tests are fakes?

Postby magickware » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:06 am

There's nothing particularly wrong with reusing PTs.

Unless LSAC decides to completely change the LSAT, all the PT materials test similar concepts and ideas. If you fully understand a concept in a given section (say, assumptions in the LR section), then no question of the same type should give you any real trouble. This is the basis for people who consistently get 175+ on a properly timed and run PT getting roughly the same score on the actual day, +/- 3-4 points depending on nerves and test conditions.

The issue is when you've used the PTs multiple times and still are not getting close to a 180. That means you're not reviewing things properly and you're just going through the motions. This is deadly, and probably the single greatest mistake people make when reviewing.

But there is a reason why people say you should just study the official materials released by LSAC. Their test writers have their own quirks and methods that you really need to understand and digest. It's not about just solving a bunch of new crap all the time, and whoever is writing the material at Princeton Review will never be writing material as tightly written and LSAT-like as the folks at LSAC themselves do.

patfeeney

Re: Princeton Review tests are fakes?

Postby patfeeney » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:52 am

Misdirected wrote:I was reading the how I scored 180 articles and one guy says that he felt the PR tests were harder, I take that to mean they're were also counterfeits, and I hope they are since I don't want to exhaust actual tests until October nears.

They're fake, made up by PR's group of "LSAT experts."

magickware wrote:There's nothing particularly wrong with reusing PTs.

Unless LSAC decides to completely change the LSAT, all the PT materials test similar concepts and ideas. If you fully understand a concept in a given section (say, assumptions in the LR section), then no question of the same type should give you any real trouble. This is the basis for people who consistently get 175+ on a properly timed and run PT getting roughly the same score on the actual day, +/- 3-4 points depending on nerves and test conditions.

The issue is when you've used the PTs multiple times and still are not getting close to a 180. That means you're not reviewing things properly and you're just going through the motions. This is deadly, and probably the single greatest mistake people make when reviewing.

But there is a reason why people say you should just study the official materials released by LSAC. Their test writers have their own quirks and methods that you really need to understand and digest. It's not about just solving a bunch of new crap all the time, and whoever is writing the material at Princeton Review will never be writing material as tightly written and LSAT-like as the folks at LSAC themselves do.

Like magickware said.

Also, in all honesty, retaking a PT a month or two after the first take is like taking an altogether new test. You'll understand things better the second time but you won't really remember anything, and if you do, it'll most likely be the stimulus or the passage but not the correct answer.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”