TTX

Should I Withdraw For June? 3rd Retake

Postby TTX » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:49 am

I took PT 68 yesterday and I am VERY concerned about my score:

LG: - 5
RC: - 4
LR: - 0

I am especially troubled by my LG:
I had 13 minutes left by the time I got to game 4, but I freaked out when I got stumped by question 19 and I ended up guessing (D) for the last five answers.

I am also trouble by my RC. The four passages were all relatively easy to understand, but I still missed 4 on it.

My previous two scores are: 164 (Oct. 2011) and 167 (Oct. 2012).

I should also mention I missed 8 on LG for Oct. 2012, and I have concentrated a lot on studying the LG in the past year of study.
I will admit I have neglected RC, which is why I am less surprised that I missed 4 on it.

Since I can't count on to go - 0 on LR every time I bomb the other sections, I am very inclined at this moment to drop June and wait for October.

I told myself before taking PT 68 that if I don't score 175 on it, then I won't take the Jun 2013. I ended up getting 173, so...

Sorry for this long tirade...

Thoughts?

Nova

Re: Should I Withdraw For June? 3rd Retake

Postby Nova » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:55 am

For the 2 year rule, would you be able to take this test AND Oct '13? If not, def wait.

IMO, if you dont feel confident you will def score in your desired range, wait. Esp if you are missing more than 0-2 on AR. Gotta get more consistent there.

TTX

Postby TTX » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:07 am

Nova wrote:For the 2 year rule, would you be able to take this test AND Oct '13? If not, def wait.

IMO, if you dont feel confident you will def score in your desired range, wait. Esp if you are missing more than 0-2 on AR. Gotta get more consistent there.

That's a good question, and to be honest I actually don't know If I could.

Here's what I have read from another poster:
I just got off the phone with LSAC. They base the LSAT limit on their "testing year," which runs from June through February of the following year. So, if you sat in 2/07, again in 2/08, and again in 12/08, your next chance to test would be in 2/2009. After not being certain whether it would be 2/09 or 6/09 based on LSAC's standard test-year rule, the representative confirmed this with her supervisor, and said that it indeed would be 2/2009.

If, on the other hand, you took the test for the first time in 6/07, again in 2/08, and again in 12/08, you would have reached your three-attempt limit as you would have two attempts in the first test-year and one in the second. Under this scenario, you would not be able to sit again until 6/09, when the new testing period begins.

I would definitely call to confirm everything I have just said, since I was given two different answers before asking for supervisor confirmation, but based on the definition of their testing year and the fact that you sat for the administrations of 2/07, 2/08, and 12/08, I would say you are fine to sit again in 2/09 regardless of whether you cancel (which still counts as an attempt).

Hope this helps!

Would anyone happen to know for sure?

You are right about LG, I need to be more consistent. What I find particularly shocking about PT 68 is I had 13 minutes to do the last game, and somehow I still didn't get the chance to finish even half of the game. This has never happened before.

And I have done every single LG just about 3-5 times by now. So I am truly lost for words.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:18 am

Seems like your LG experience for 68 was not uncommon

Went to my testing center and took PT68...did not do as well as I had hoped....

That last LG section about killed me but I had blazed through the first three in 20 minutes so I spent the last 15 on it.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=198695&start=5300

TTX

Postby TTX » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:23 am

Nova wrote:Seems like your LG experience for 68 was not uncommon

Went to my testing center and took PT68...did not do as well as I had hoped....

That last LG section about killed me but I had blazed through the first three in 20 minutes so I spent the last 15 on it.

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... start=5300

I just saw that.

Except unlike that poster, I wasn't able to get my head straight and pull through. This makes me suspect the same thing will repeat again on actual test day.

*Sigh* What to do. What do do...

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:13 pm

Postponing after scoring 173 on a timed test day conditions with the most recently administered test would be dumb. Calm down, take a chill pill, meditate, whatever, watch TV, eat food, go to sleep, take the test tomorrow and rock it.

Seriously, this is a stupid question if you have been consistently scoring in the 170s range recently. 'Like OMG, I'm not ready and need four more months cuz 173 not 175, I totally suck!! I freaked out and got spooked by LG question #19 and now I'm scared!! maybe I could get more better by october and not get scared by any questions ever again.'

You've been prepping at least off and on for two years now dude with two decent scores under your belt. If after two years, having taken it twice already, now getting 173 on a fresh timed test and assuming other recent 170+ PT scores you are not ready to take it tomorrow, you will never be ready. There is nothing more to learn over four more months to make you not panic and freeze up suddenly on a single question.

RE when you are eligible to take it a fourth time, it is supposed to be two years after the oldest of the three takes that you are eligible to re-take again. I wouldn't rely on an old post from 2009, LSAC has changed how some things work since then. Oct 2013 will be two years since your first take in Oct 2011 so you should be able to take it again then if you also take the test tomorrow, but of course you would have to verify that with LSAC to be sure.

Seriously though, unless 173 is a fluke score for you recently (meaning unusually high for you), you would be a fool and a giant wimp to not take the test tomorrow. Just so you know, variations of mid to high 170s scores are due in part to some random test day luck with fewer if any hiccups/F'k ups on your part. The difference between 173 and 175 is only making two simple stupid mistakes while under the heat and pressure of test day battle, making the difference between 170-173s and 175+ scores almost all about how well your nerves and reactions work and hold up under the pressure.

You shouldn't throw in the towel and wimp out because you reacted badly to one LG question, let yourself get stuck on it and let it ruin the whole game. That mistake (mostly the dwelling on one question for super long instead of trying the other questions) was just a bad and costly time management decision that is an easy type of mistake to avoid. Suck it up, put the mistake behind you and take the test tomorrow with confidence, you are already capable of scoring in the mid or higher 170s range, now just do it.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”