My first attempt at a timed test

alexrodriguez

My first attempt at a timed test

Postby alexrodriguez » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:25 am

It was rough. It was preptest #9 and it started off with RC and it took me off balance.

RC is the only aspect of the test I haven't studied for yet. Regardless, I wanted to see what would happen. I finished the section with 5 minutes to spare. I was rushing through it all. I didn't even go back to check my answers. I used the 5 minutes to close my eyes and get mentally prepared for the next section.

I make it through the RC and LR is up next. I'm like... Okay... I got this... I don't got this. I'm at like question 19 when there is 5 minutes left. I panic. I don't answer another question after that. The 5 minute warning throws me off balance. I'm getting frustrated. I skip a question and move on. I'm going through the stimulus and I'm not comprehending anything. I skip the question. Same thing with the next one. I had 5 minutes left and didn't answer a single question when the warning went off.

Next up is logic games. I've studied for this. I haven't really done logic games with the pressure of time though. I'm nervous. The first logic game trips me up. It was an easy one, but I figure it out eventually. By the time I finish the first game... I'm just thinking to myself. How much time did I just waste there? There's no way I'm going to finish. I keep pushing forward. I move on to the second game and I answer the first two questions. After that I give up. I felt defeated. I turn off my LSAT DVD and I finish the logic games without being timed. I had -3 after I graded my test. I had two wrong in the first game (the game where I was still being timed) and I missed the last question of the section. Question 24 I believe.

I go eat dinner or do something else. I'm bothered and feel defeated.

I come back to the test. I pop in the LSAT DVD and I finish off the last section timed. It's LR obviously. I make it through all the questions. I did skip question 10 or 12 or something of the sort. I also guessed on the last question. I got it correct. I guessed D as I read somewhere it's a popular answer choice.

I was a lot more comfortable with this last section. Probably because I had just ate dinner before and did not have the pressure of knowing I just screwed up the previous 3 sections. Either way... I had -9 or something. It was a personal best. A week ago I did an non-timed LR section and had -14 or something. Here I was doing the section timed and I had an improved score.

Long story short I had a 151 after I graded the test. Everything was timed except 3 of the games.

This is a 151 going through the Logic Games Bible and the Logical Reasoning Bible. I'm also currently going through the LR Bible Workbook.
I still have a lot of work to be done with LR questions. I still haven't looked at Reading Comprehension prep at all.

Now check this out.

The first non-timed test I ever took I scored a 148.

Considering I did 3 of the sections timed and scored a 151 should I consider this improvement? Or do I still just suck? Either way.

TripleX

Re: My first attempt at a timed test

Postby TripleX » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:36 am

louierodriguez wrote:It was rough. It was preptest #9 and it started off with RC and it took me off balance.

RC is the only aspect of the test I haven't studied for yet. Regardless, I wanted to see what would happen. I finished the section with 5 minutes to spare. I was rushing through it all. I didn't even go back to check my answers. I used the 5 minutes to close my eyes and get mentally prepared for the next section.

I make it through the RC and LR is up next. I'm like... Okay... I got this... I don't got this. I'm at like question 19 when there is 5 minutes left. I panic. I don't answer another question after that. The 5 minute warning throws me off balance. I'm getting frustrated. I skip a question and move on. I'm going through the stimulus and I'm not comprehending anything. I skip the question. Same thing with the next one. I had 5 minutes left and didn't answer a single question when the warning went off.

Next up is logic games. I've studied for this. I haven't really done logic games with the pressure of time though. I'm nervous. The first logic game trips me up. It was an easy one, but I figure it out eventually. By the time I finish the first game... I'm just thinking to myself. How much time did I just waste there? There's no way I'm going to finish. I keep pushing forward. I move on to the second game and I answer the first two questions. After that I give up. I felt defeated. I turn off my LSAT DVD and I finish the logic games without being timed. I had -3 after I graded my test. I had two wrong in the first game (the game where I was still being timed) and I missed the last question of the section. Question 24 I believe.

I come back to the test. I pop in the LSAT DVD and I finish off the last section timed. It's LR obviously. I make it through all the questions. I did skip question 10 or 12 or something of the sort. I also guessed on the last question. I got it correct. I guessed D as I read somewhere it's a popular answer choice.

I was a lot more comfortable with this last section. Probably because I had just ate dinner before and did not have the pressure of knowing I just screwed up the previous 3 sections. Either way... I had -9 or something. It was a personal best. A week ago I did an non-timed LR section and had -14 or something. Here I was doing the section timed and I had an improved score.

Long story short I had a 151 after I graded the test. Everything was timed except 3 of the games.

This is a 151 going through the Logic Games Bible and the Logical Reasoning Bible. I'm also currently going through the LR Bible Workbook.
I still have a lot of work to be done with LR questions. I still haven't looked at Reading Comprehension prep at all.

Now check this out.

Considering I did 3 of the sections timed and scored a 151 should I consider this improvement? Or do I still just suck? Either way.

You can't really count it as a timed test because you obviously wouldn't have done as well on the LG if the timer was running.

How long have you been studying for? You've obviously improved the question is just how much in what period of time. If you been studying for 2 weeks that's good. If you been studying for 2 months I'd rethink your study plan.

I'd personally start timing yourself on every question/section. Don't stop when the timer goes off, but mark down where you were when the timer went off and that becomes your "official" score.

Alternatively, you can set a stopwatch and focus on lowering your time. Ex: You start off taking 15 minutes per LG section, then 12, then 10, then 9.5 then 9, then 8.5 etc.

The LR has also become much harder in the recent tests. I was able to bang out -4/-5 on the LR sections without studying within the time limit on the early prep tests. Then I have 65 a shot and missed -17.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:41 am

OP:

Finish up Powerscore.

Then buy these:

They're the best in the business:
--LinkRemoved-- ... attan+lsat

After you do each section, drill questions by types:
http://www.cambridgelsat.com/

You're a long way from saying that you suck. If you studied for months and have taken 30 PTs and you're still getting a 151, then you suck. Until then, just keep at it. LR and LGs will come naturally through repetition and review.

Also, for now, don't worry so much about timing. Right now, focus more on accuracy. You have to learn how to walk before you run.

magickware

Postby magickware » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:59 am

Don't time yourself until you can get everything right on a section of your choice.

It's self-defeating and merely makes you panic.

Clyde Frog

Postby Clyde Frog » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:19 am

TripleX wrote:
louierodriguez wrote:It was rough. It was preptest #9 and it started off with RC and it took me off balance.

Now check this out.

You can't really count it as a timed test because you obviously wouldn't have done as well on the LG if the timer was running.

How long have you been studying for? You've obviously improved the question is just how much in what period of time. If you been studying for 2 weeks that's good. If you been studying for 2 months I'd rethink your study plan.

I'd personally start timing yourself on every question/section. Don't stop when the timer goes off, but mark down where you were when the timer went off and that becomes your "official" score.

Alternatively, you can set a stopwatch and focus on lowering your time. Ex: You start off taking 15 minutes per LG section, then 12, then 10, then 9.5 then 9, then 8.5 etc.

The LR has also become much harder in the recent tests. I was able to bang out -4/-5 on the LR sections without studying within the time limit on the early prep tests. Then I have 65 a shot and missed -17.

-17? How can you dip that much after averaging -9? Honestly I never found the old ones to be much different than the newer ones. That might have been a fluke.

jselson

Postby jselson » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:19 am

TripleX wrote:The LR has also become much harder in the recent tests.

I've seen this claim multiple times recently on the forum, and I hope it doesn't spread as "common wisdom." It's ridiculous. LRs have been the most consistent sections since basically ever, at least after the very earliest tests. RCs have maybe gotten a bit harder recently, and the rate of LG "types" seems to fluctuate a bit, also maybe getting a little bit harder maybe very recently (but having more page space easily makes up for it), but no section has gotten "much harder," especially LR.

MT Cicero

Postby MT Cicero » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:38 am

jselson wrote:

I've seen this claim multiple times recently on the forum, and I hope it doesn't spread as "common wisdom." It's ridiculous. LRs have been the most consistent sections since basically ever, at least after the very earliest tests. RCs have maybe gotten a bit harder recently, and the rate of LG "types" seems to fluctuate a bit, also maybe getting a little bit harder maybe very recently (but having more page space easily makes up for it), but no section has gotten "much harder," especially LR.

I have to agree with this, at least up until my last test which was last December (actual sitting). LR seemed quite consistent to me.

louie: I'd go easy on the timer early on. Look up the pithypike method of studying on here. I basically did a truncated version of that (had just over 2 months to study) and it worked wonders. I was very diligent though. You have to make sure you are grinding in a focused way. I'm not saying you're not, but only you know if you are.

ManoftheHour's post is spot on. I drilled questions and sections hard-core for 3 weeks. Then, I drilled with 35-minute timers. Then, with 30-minute timers. A couple PTs (but not many) in between those drills. Then, PTs started heavy with some drilling in between. I'm talking library, analog watch, scoresheets, #2 pencils, the whole bit.
Last edited by MT Cicero on Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:39 am

What test did you take? Hopfully not anything from 50+

You shouldnt waste good PTs at this point. No point. Finish the PSBs + M + start drilling.

jselson wrote:

I've seen this claim multiple times recently on the forum, and I hope it doesn't spread as "common wisdom." It's ridiculous. LRs have been the most consistent sections since basically ever, at least after the very earliest tests.

+1

Nova

Postby Nova » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:42 am

MotH wrote:drill

craigsan18 wrote:drill

Nova wrote:drill

Dog

Postby Dog » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:36 am

Don't get too down on yourself yet, but those conditions were not really those of a timed test... You turned off the timer and went and ate dinner or whatever.

Every PT doesn't need to be timed strictly though. Sometimes I take ones and stop the clock on questions that really confuse me, study the question very carefully, check the answer, and then review why the correct answer is correct, why the others are wrong, etc. I've found this is a pretty good way to develop the kind of thinking they use on the LSAT, especially early on, but just keep in mind the scores on preptests done in this method won't be indicative of actual scores. Strictly timed practice tests is best for endurance, but if you are sometimes lazy reviewing tests like me, you can benefit from easing up on the timer every once in a while.

Just keep practicing, drill a lot, review a lot, and stay optimistic.

meegee

Postby meegee » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:55 am

craigsan18 wrote:Be deliberate and drill. Whatever you do, don't be the person who spends 1 hour walking on the treadmill just to tell yourself you spent an hour working out. Get in there, get focused and run your ass off. Then take a break. You'll get better.

+1

That's some wise shit right there.

TripleX

Postby TripleX » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:11 pm

jselson wrote:

whatever dude. I know that myself and others have found the LR harder than the early PTs. If you think it hasn't changed in 22 years that's fine. I'd argue that how well you do on PT's 60+ is going to give you a better gauge of how you'll do on the current LSAT than PTs 1-9.

jselson

Postby jselson » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:29 pm

TripleX wrote:
jselson wrote:

I'd argue that how well you do on PT's 60+ is going to give you a better gauge of how you'll do on the current LSAT than PTs 1-9.

Notice how nothing I wrote is inconsistent with this statement.

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:35 pm

Suck it up and take an actual timed test if you want feedback on your timed testing results.

myscoreonmysleeve

Postby myscoreonmysleeve » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:43 pm

Can someone please explain to me how someone takes a practice test with 3 games untimed? OP needs to get a grip on his/her life and stop spamming the threads. Thank you..

Reframe

Postby Reframe » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:48 pm

Why take PT9? Take a relevant PT. That one isn't.

myscoreonmysleeve

Postby myscoreonmysleeve » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:52 pm

Reframe wrote:Why take PT9? Take a relevant PT. That one isn't.

The earliest I started with was The Next 10 from LSAC. What was OP's SAT score and undergrad gpa?

SteelPenguin

Postby SteelPenguin » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:15 pm

magickware wrote:Don't time yourself until you can get everything right on a section of your choice.

I've seen this stated for diagnostics and early PTs plenty of times, and I strongly disagree. I think it's good to do drilling untimed, but full PTs should be done timed. For me, regular score increases in my early timed tests are part of what kept me motivated. If I was just drilling endlessly and taking untimed tests, I would have felt like I had no real way to track my progress.

That being said, early PTs in studying should not be done frequently. Most of your studying should be prep books and drilling until you get a better handle on things. A PT once every week or two could be useful for tracking progress though, depending on how long you plan to study for before your LSAT.

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:22 pm

SteelPenguin wrote:
magickware wrote:Don't time yourself until you can get everything right on a section of your choice.

I've seen this stated for diagnostics and early PTs plenty of times, and I strongly disagree. I think it's good to do drilling untimed, but full PTs should be done timed. For me, regular score increases in my early timed tests are part of what kept me motivated. If I was just drilling endlessly and taking untimed tests, I would have felt like I had no real way to track my progress.

That being said, early PTs in studying should not be done frequently. Most of your studying should be prep books and drilling until you get a better handle on things. A PT once every week or two could be useful for tracking progress though, depending on how long you plan to study for before your LSAT.

This is all solid advice.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”