How long did it take to ACE LG?

kiyoku

How long did it take to ACE LG?

Postby kiyoku » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:52 pm

It's only been about a week since I started doing the LG's.

Out of curiosity, I just wanted to know how long it took other people to get to averaging -0, -1 or something like that.

(It'd be nice if you told me both aspects of the time frame: random example 1 month, 2 hours a day x 5 days a week)

sighsigh

Re: How long did it take to ACE LG?

Postby sighsigh » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:13 am

I would be very interested in this as well.

mx23250

Postby mx23250 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:07 am

After reading through the LG Bible twice and making sure I had all the general strategies down I started doing lots of individual games. If I recall, I probably did about 25-30 games using a timer, but I wouldn't force myself to stop at ~8:40, rather I would go as quick as I could until I finished the game. I would then check my answers and then re-do the entire game (completely untimed) and would figure out the right answer and how to get to it (and why the wrong answers are wrong). I would say I did this for about 2-3 weeks, although it would have been much quicker if I wasn't also studying other sections, doing PTs, working FT, and in grad school. Then, I proceeded to the powerscore game type training book that has all the logic games from PTs 1-20 organized by game type. This was extremely helpful as I would able to further practice on every logic game from 20 tests (80 games). I did this for about 3 weeks following the same strategy of re-doing the entire game or specific questions of the game, depending on the nature of it. Prior to doing this type of practice, I was getting about -10 on the LG section, mostly due to the time constraint since it took me too long to figure out the game and how to tackle it. However, by the time I finished all this practice I'm now at about -1 per game section. I also got the game type book for PTs 21-40 and I plan on doing the same thing and also going over each of them multiple times before test day. For me, the more practice you get on the games the more comfortable you'll be with instantly figuring out how to diagram, you'll figure out inherent inferences much quicker, what to look for in terms of eliminating answers, etc. If I had more free time (work+school consumes about 80 hrs/week for me), I could have completed this ~5-6 week prep in probably 2 weeks, it all comes down to how much time you're able to devote. Good luck!

Nova

Postby Nova » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:12 am

Did PSB + M. Drilled every game (many multiple times). Got to consistantly missing 0-2 after maybe 150 hours over 4 months. Started at -8ish. I recommend Noodleys.

loomstate

Postby loomstate » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:19 am

do 3 LG's every day. if you get one wrong watch sage reviews. 3 months, you'll be an ACE

sighsigh

Postby sighsigh » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:32 am

One thing I've noticed about drilling logic games is that it is FAR less exhausting than drilling LR or RC. I've drilled through the entire Next 10 (29-38) booklet in like 2 days. By contrast, I could drill and review maybe 2 LR or RC sections in a day, and I'd be exhausted by the end of it.

mx23250

Postby mx23250 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:33 am

sighsigh wrote:One thing I've noticed about drilling logic games is that it is FAR less exhausting than drilling LR or RC. I've drilled through the entire Next 10 (29-38) booklet in like 2 days. By contrast, I could drill and review maybe 2 LR or RC sections in a day, and I'd be exhausted by the end of it.

I'm the same way. LGs are actually fun to do once you get the hang of it but the other sections feel more like "work", so my prep on those are certainly behind that of LGs.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:36 am

mx23250 wrote:LGs are actually fun to do once you get the hang of it but the other sections feel more like "work", so my prep on those are certainly behind that of LGs.

I agree. AR is def the funnest section. :mrgreen:

meegee

Postby meegee » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:54 am

I this true? Is drilling LR and RC more mentally exhausting than LG? Because I've been drilling LG non-stop for a couple of weeks, and it's been "fun" (I use fun loosely here). I'm not quite at the -0 before 33 minute mark, but I'm starting to think I should start slowing on LG and doing more LR instead then, to kinda balanced out the "funness."

sublime

Postby sublime » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:58 am

mx23250

Postby mx23250 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:35 pm

sublime wrote:
meegee wrote:I this true? Is drilling LR and RC more mentally exhausting than LG? Because I've been drilling LG non-stop for a couple of weeks, and it's been "fun" (I use fun loosely here). I'm not quite at the -0 before 33 minute mark, but I'm starting to think I should start slowing on LG and doing more LR instead then, to kinda balanced out the "funness."

It depends where you are on both. Be sure to keep in mind the LR is more than half of your score though.

This is true. Once I got to averaging -1/-2 on LG sections I began to transition my major focus onto LR since it is half the test and I knew it would take me a bit longer to dramatically improve. I'm still doing around 10 LG sections per week though (in addition to those in PTs) just to stay fresh and hopefully get consistently to -0/-1. LG is typically the easiest section to improve on, so I focused on that initially and now I'm planning on spending more time on LG and to a lesser extent on RC.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:36 pm

Ranking most fun to least fun:

AR>>>>LR>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>RC

mx23250

Postby mx23250 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:06 pm

Nova wrote:Ranking most fun to least fun:

AR>>>>LR>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>RC

So true.

Reinhardt

Postby Reinhardt » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:00 pm

It took a long time for me. Don't be shy about reusing games sections you've already seen before. If you have 30 or 40 real tests, looping back to ones you did a couple weeks ago is no big deal because you won't remember it well enough to make a difference.

magickware

Postby magickware » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:16 pm

It depends on how strong you are with understanding patterns. If you're used to doing sudoku and other mind games and shit, then LG will be easier to pick up.

Otherwise, it took me doing most existing LGs at least twice and reviewing them extensively before I got truly comfortable with them. It took roughly 4-5 months.

Take that as you will.

kiyoku

Postby kiyoku » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:03 am

I find re-using LG not bad at all... but i imagine reusing LR to be worse in that i'd remember more of it, and that reusing RC would be very difficult to keep as an accurate measure of my real ability.

This is why I've been a bit scared about doing the PT RC's (i'm only doing the LG right now, but my reading is weak. I know my RC will be weak. T_T)

magickware

Postby magickware » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:15 am

It doesn't matter for LR, so long as you can name exactly why each answer choice is wrong, and why the answer choice you chose is right.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:43 am

LG was my weakness. I'd say about 5 months of 3 hours a day 4 days a week before I was consistently good at them.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:44 am

MLSAT LG did wonders for me

however

I am studying 6-8 hours a day

jselson

Postby jselson » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:48 am

I think LGs become fun because they're like playing a video game: at first, you don't really even understand the rules, but by the end, you've completely mastered and defeated an entire problem. You build your map, you plan and execute your strategy, and you win. With RC, they're basically throwing you gotcha questions, and with LRs, while I actually learned a lot of really useful material while prepping, each individual question is too small to really care about (to extend the video game analogy, it's like dungeon crawling for stats - just not fun in and of itself).

As for the exhaustion thing, you also just have to absorb so much more material in RC and LR sections. An LG section may only be a total of about 25 sentences, excluding the questions. RCs and LRs must have at least 10 times as many sentences per section total.

kiyoku

Postby kiyoku » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:56 am

I didn't want to take my LSAT during this year of school which will come up, so I think I'll take it in June next year lol. I hope that's enough time for me.

I hear or all of these people getting high 150s and 160s on their LSAT diagnostic (and mainly due to the fact that they're bombing LG in their Diag). I just don't understand how they even pull this off.

Even if my LG were to be perfect on my diag, I would have been only at like 160 T_T. I want to guarantee a 175+, so I hope 1 yr will be enough time for me.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”