bad trend going into test day?

meadow201

bad trend going into test day?

Postby meadow201 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:20 pm

edit
Last edited by meadow201 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeffort

Re: bad trend going into test day?

Postby Jeffort » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:29 pm

You scored 175 or above on all your recent practice tests, the only bad thing going on is that you are discouraged by those near perfect scores. Relax, take the test on Monday, achieve a 170s score (hopefully 175+), apply, be happy. You are achieving almost perfect scores, so you should have nothing to worry about assuming those scores are all from strict test day conditions practice tests.

Dog

Postby Dog » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:31 pm

With such a small decline over such a small sample size on a test that admits its scores are subject to some variation, I really don't think you have anything to worry about. You are still scoring at or above the score you want and the scores are excellent. I think the worst thing you could do is get all worked up over your recent scores. There is no reason to let this idea that you're getting worse turn into a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Good luck on Monday, I'll be taking it too.

Typhoon24

Postby Typhoon24 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:32 pm

A lot of people (myself included) would be super annoyed at reading about you complaining about such scores. However, I will still answer your question. First of all, it's absolutely normal for people to dip a couple of points as the test day closes in on you. Second, June is a new LSAT season, so the test is most likely going to be a tad bit different from the most recent tests, for better or worse. Long story short, a few "bad" recent test scores don't warrant the claim that you're slipping up on recent tests .

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:41 pm

Typhoon24 wrote:Second, June is a new LSAT season, so the test is most likely going to be a tad bit different from the most recent tests, for better or worse.

There is no truth to this statement. The fact that June is considered the first administration for each annual cycle does not affect the contents of the test except when LSAC changes the exam (such as when they added comparative reading to the RC section) since when they do make a new and permanent change to the test they roll it out starting on a June administration, but when changes like that are made, they are announced ahead of time.

CO2016YEAH

Postby CO2016YEAH » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:51 pm

From what I have heard from people who know the LSAT very, very, well there has been a trend in more recent years towards easier games sections and more difficult LR and RC sections. There is an argument that LSAC has made this transition as spotting answers in LR and RC has become more of a science (although, the same is true for games, so there is a hole in this argument).

I wouldn't sweat the drop off, which is still basically within the margin of error. Nothing good can come from getting yourself all worked up. Spend the weekend relaxing (think Disneyland, Wet'n'Wild, Six Flags) and go in on Monday and crush it! :D

Good luck!

Typhoon24

Postby Typhoon24 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:52 pm

Jeffort wrote:
Typhoon24 wrote:Second, June is a new LSAT season, so the test is most likely going to be a tad bit different from the most recent tests, for better or worse.

There is no truth to this statement. The fact that June is considered the first administration for each annual cycle does not affect the contents of the test except when LSAC changes the exam (such as when they added comparative reading to the RC section) since when they do make a new and permanent change to the test they roll it out starting on a June administration, but when changes like that are made, they are announced ahead of time.

I think a distinction needs to be made to the word "changes." I wasn't referring to anything big like comparative passages or LR questions that share a stimulus, I was talking about small stylistic changes that MIGHT occur. For example, recent tests' tendencies to have 3 easy games and one hard one, or RC including more identify and less synthesis questions. None of this is set in stone, but they are subtle differences that can be seen in hindsight. Most of these slight differences generally begin in June, but I won't sign my life to it if you know what I mean.

laww

Postby laww » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:08 pm

I'm finding that the LR on later tests gets much harder.

The LGs actually seem easier on the newer test.

RC seems about the same but there are some format changes in the newer tests.

LR is what kills me on the LSAT. Seriously some questions just make me want to rip the test apart and make it rain.

SteelPenguin

Postby SteelPenguin » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:14 pm

Jeffort wrote:

The two page LGs were not announced ahead of time.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:32 pm

SteelPenguin wrote:
Jeffort wrote:

That wasn't a major change or change to the content of the exam, just a printing format change, same questions and answers, just more blank paper.

SteelPenguin

Postby SteelPenguin » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:53 pm

Jeffort wrote:
SteelPenguin wrote:
Jeffort wrote:

That wasn't a major change or change to the content of the exam, just a printing format change, same questions and answers, just more blank paper.

I found it to be a pretty jarring change and required a somewhat different approach to writing my diagrams and rules.

rmorris87

Postby rmorris87 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:58 pm

In my opinion you should withdraw immediately. Delay sitting for the test until October. Do not run the risk of accepting anything lower than 175. You are either hardcore or you aren't. Simply delay and then merk the test in October.

jselson

Postby jselson » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:15 pm

meadow201 wrote:on 15 tests (all before PT 60), I averaged ~178.7
on 25, including the above 15, again all before 60, I averaged 177

on the last few I've taken, which are 60 61, 62, 63, 66, I've averaged 175.something or 176 (they've all been 175 or 176 except for one 178 somewhere in there).

I want a 175+ but this recent decline is discouraging. Does this suggest I don't have a tight handle on the recent tests?

You have got to be kidding me.

lawschool2014hopeful

Postby lawschool2014hopeful » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:42 pm

This is the second time he made this thread, is obviously a flame lol.

No one scores at that range and ask questions this stupid, i.e., not examining the score band LSAC provides.

jselson

Postby jselson » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:15 pm

jimmierock wrote:This is the second time he made this thread, is obviously a flame lol.

No one scores at that range and ask questions this stupid, i.e., not examining the score band LSAC provides.

All those post history edits are pretty funny.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:59 pm

jimmierock wrote:This is the second time he made this thread, is obviously a flame lol.

You'd be very very surprised how wrong the bolded is. In general, neurotic overachievers do very well on the LSAT, and also ask these kinds of questions. The correlation is strong.

jselson

Postby jselson » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:05 pm

meadow201 wrote:edit

lol

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”