Feeling burned out, but was scoring high. Should I delay?

linkx13

Feeling burned out, but was scoring high. Should I delay?

Postby linkx13 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:53 pm

I've averaged high 160s with over the course of about 9 full timed tests. My plan is to take the June 10th test as a retake of a 159 I made last October. However, this week I've been feeling pretty burned out, especially on logic games, where a misunderstanding or missed inference can effectively kill a game (and a 170+ score). I find this has resulted in just a real inability to fully concentrate, and so I'm starting to lack attention to detail, a crucial element of this test.

Here's my issue: I think that there is a good chance I can still make a 168+ on this test and if I don't feel like that after I take it then I could cancel the score, but should I risk something lower/is it worth it if I could still take the October test?

I'm thinking about not studying AT ALL tomorrow. Taking a test on Saturday, and seeing how I feel.

SteelPenguin

Re: Feeling burned out, but was scoring high. Should I delay?

Postby SteelPenguin » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:59 pm

linkx13 wrote:I've averaged high 160s with over the course of about 9 full timed tests. My plan is to take the June 10th test as a retake of a 159 I made last October. However, this week I've been feeling pretty burned out, especially on logic games, where a misunderstanding or missed inference can effectively kill a game (and a 170+ score). I find this has resulted in just a real inability to fully concentrate, and so I'm starting to lack attention to detail, a crucial element of this test.

Here's my issue: I think that there is a good chance I can still make a 168+ on this test and if I don't feel like that after I take it then I could cancel the score, but should I risk something lower/is it worth it if I could still take the October test?

I'm thinking about not studying AT ALL tomorrow. Taking a test on Saturday, and seeing how I feel.

If you seemed more prepared, it'd say go for it. 9 PTs is nothing though. Study for a few months and come back and 170+ the test.

linkx13

Postby linkx13 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:10 pm

SteelPenguin wrote:
linkx13 wrote:I've averaged high 160s with over the course of about 9 full timed tests. My plan is to take the June 10th test as a retake of a 159 I made last October. However, this week I've been feeling pretty burned out, especially on logic games, where a misunderstanding or missed inference can effectively kill a game (and a 170+ score). I find this has resulted in just a real inability to fully concentrate, and so I'm starting to lack attention to detail, a crucial element of this test.

If you seemed more prepared, it'd say go for it. 9 PTs is nothing though. Study for a few months and come back and 170+ the test.

What about taking the test and canceling the score if I don't feel good about it?

ampm

Postby ampm » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:52 pm

I'm in the same boat.
I was PT'ing between 172-175.

Now I'm just like tired and got 164-165 on the last two tests I took. I figured I might as well take it and see how I do.

SteelPenguin

Postby SteelPenguin » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:23 pm

linkx13 wrote:
SteelPenguin wrote:

What about taking the test and canceling the score if I don't feel good about it?

Well you only have 2 tests left, right? I wouldn't rush in to my 2nd take unless I thought that I should be able to score near my max potential.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:24 pm

SteelPenguin wrote:
linkx13 wrote:
SteelPenguin wrote:

Well you only have 2 tests left, right? I wouldn't rush in to my 2nd take unless I thought that I should be able to score near my max potential.

This.

That being said, taking 2 days off can be enough to let you rebound. See how you feel Sunday night.

rftdd888

Postby rftdd888 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:20 pm

linkx13 wrote:
SteelPenguin wrote:

personally i think that you're better off just studying for the next 4 months and taking once in october. it's common on TLS (at least from my exp reading the forum) for ppl to suggest that you maybe sit for june and october for some reason, in case you mess up i suppose, or if you might want the retake. i don't agree with sitting for the lsat at all unless you think it's the one you're shipping off with your application. why get a lower score on your record?

if you wait until you're really well prepared you shouldn't have to worry about screwing up or needing a backup test to take. i'm taking once in october. you should be PT'ing highly, consistently by that point, and your test-day score won't be significantly worse than that in october so long as you prepare properly.

linkx13

Postby linkx13 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:39 pm

rriles wrote:
linkx13 wrote:
SteelPenguin wrote:

personally i think that you're better off just studying for the next 4 months and taking once in october. it's common on TLS (at least from my exp reading the forum) for ppl to suggest that you maybe sit for june and october for some reason, in case you mess up i suppose, or if you might want the retake. i don't agree with sitting for the lsat at all unless you think it's the one you're shipping off with your application. why get a lower score on your record?

if you wait until you're really well prepared you shouldn't have to worry about screwing up or needing a backup test to take. i'm taking once in october. you should be PT'ing highly, consistently by that point, and your test-day score won't be significantly worse than that in october so long as you prepare properly.

I think the debate here is between cancelling or withdrawing, because these are really the only two options I have right now.

I'm not sure I see the downside of sitting for this test, getting a feeling of how I did, and deciding after to cancel if I don't like it OTHER THAN the ability to only take one more time.

SteelPenguin

Postby SteelPenguin » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:41 am

linkx13 wrote:I'm not sure I see the downside of sitting for this test, getting a feeling of how I did, and deciding after to cancel if I don't like it OTHER THAN the ability to only take one more time.

I think that's really the only downside, but with such little prep I don't think it's a smart decision to take the test at this point. You should be shooting for mid 170s if only a few PTs gave you an upper 16X score. Even if you got a 170 on this test, it would still make sense to study more thoroughly and retake in October, and you would only have your 1 take when you were truly "ready" for the test. Either way, it looks like you should be studying for the October test, so why throw this one away?

linkx13

Postby linkx13 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:48 pm

SteelPenguin wrote:
linkx13 wrote:I'm not sure I see the downside of sitting for this test, getting a feeling of how I did, and deciding after to cancel if I don't like it OTHER THAN the ability to only take one more time.

I think that's really the only downside, but with such little prep I don't think it's a smart decision to take the test at this point. You should be shooting for mid 170s if only a few PTs gave you an upper 16X score. Even if you got a 170 on this test, it would still make sense to study more thoroughly and retake in October, and you would only have your 1 take when you were truly "ready" for the test. Either way, it looks like you should be studying for the October test, so why throw this one away?

What do you mean "such little prep?" I´ve studied for 4 months for this test and I still have a substantial number of tests I've made upper 160s on. Is that only a little or did you mean it in some other way?

SteelPenguin

Postby SteelPenguin » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:56 pm

linkx13 wrote:
SteelPenguin wrote:

What do you mean "such little prep?" I´ve studied for 4 months for this test and I still have a substantial number of tests I've made upper 160s on. Is that only a little or did you mean it in some other way?

I'm sorry, I missed that part. I only saw the 8-9 PTs you mentioned, didn't see a monthly breakdown. In that case, ignore me and feel free to take the test if you feel prepared enough.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”