Sore neck/back from studying?

Have you gotten a sore neck/back from studying for the LSAT?

Yes
93%
No
7%

Total votes: 29

LDVM4334

Sore neck/back from studying?

Postby LDVM4334 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:17 am

Inevitable, right? How to combat? I plan on popping about 800 mg ibuprofen before the exam so I won't be distracted by that during, but would rather not take that much/that often every day til then while I study.

MKX

Re: Sore neck/back from studying?

Postby MKX » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:34 am

Work out. Use a foam roller to massage your back. I usually wake up, do some LR or a game, get a lift in. Come home and either drill, PT, or do practice timed sections, and if I feel burned out go for a run, come back and do a little more. Very refreshing to get those work outs in.

LDVM4334

Postby LDVM4334 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:47 am

MKX wrote:Work out. Use a foam roller to massage your back. I usually wake up, do some LR or a game, get a lift in. Come home and either drill, PT, or do practice timed sections, and if I feel burned out go for a run, come back and do a little more. Very refreshing to get those work outs in.

While my working out has admittedly suffered a bit, I'm still in pretty good shape overall. I think maybe it has more to do with my posture and from sitting for 4-5 hours consecutively. Maybe better chairs? I dunno.

What Would Don Draper do? Make himself an old fashioned, presumably.

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:51 am

it gets worse during 1L :lol:

Some people like using book stands to avoid bending their neck so far down. Seems legit.

LDVM4334

Postby LDVM4334 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:52 am

Nova wrote:it gets worse during 1L :lol:

Some people like using book stands to avoid bending their neck so far down. Im sure it could help.

I suppose for me it's the actual act of testing, as opposed to reading. I can read on my back, in bed, sitting up comfortably, and in a variety of other ways.

But to actually take the test, with a scantron, is pretty limiting.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:26 am

I refer to this condition as "LSAT neck" with dedicated students lol

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:31 am

Went on a marathon LSAT review session and then tried to golf. My hips were so stiff it looked like I'd never swung a club before in my life. Hip flexor stretches help a ton.

LDVM4334

Postby LDVM4334 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:47 pm

I want more input on this.

magickware

Postby magickware » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:01 am

Everyday do hip flexor stretches and the (quite painful if you haven't done them frequently) hip flexor stretches with your foot anchored on top of a chair or some bench. Both of them will work great at stretching out your entire hip musculature and loosen things up a bit. Unfortunately will not help all that much during the actual test, but if you're stretching daily then the soreness and tightness should be reduced on test day.

Try doing neck strengthening exercises (Just basically apply resistance with your hands while you move your head towards said resistance direction. Aim for maximum RoM) every once in a while. It should help wake your neck muscles up.

But, ya, there's very little you can do to actually remove sore neck and lower back while taking the test. Sore back is best dealt with via deadlifts, but I don't think you can strengthen your back enough to remove lower back pain by Monday. Sore neck is unavoidable afaik.

LDVM4334

Postby LDVM4334 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:35 am

Okay, for me, the problem area is the right upper back/shoulder/neck problem. AKA the area I am bubbling with.

I try to sit with good posture when reading, but it doesn't work.

I have some stretches for the area, but I can't do them between every section.

My other alternative is a few ibuprofen before the test/during the test.

I wish I wasn't thinking about this the day before the exam.

Rosalita

Postby Rosalita » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:28 pm

Tiger balm works miracles on your neck. It's kind of like icy hot, but works A LOT better and is more designed for neck pain. I even use it when I have bad headaches. Something you could pick up before the exam tomorrow at most drug stores or regular stores. One disclaimer, it doesn't smell awesome, (like other icy hot kind of products) but if you put it on the smell should be gone or be diminished within 15-20 minutes.

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:03 pm

Just wait until Big Law.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:44 am

Rosalita wrote:Tiger balm works miracles on your neck. It's kind of like icy hot, but works A LOT better and is more designed for neck pain. I even use it when I have bad headaches. Something you could pick up before the exam tomorrow at most drug stores or regular stores. One disclaimer, it doesn't smell awesome, (like other icy hot kind of products) but if you put it on the smell should be gone or be diminished within 15-20 minutes.

It'd be like unleashing mustard gas on your test center. Plus, if you haven't tried it, don't put it on before the LSAT. It's not a subtle feeling and could very well be distracting.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:47 am

I get sore but I don't pussy out

I keep going

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”