Need an Explanation: Preptest 19 - Game 3 - 2 Boats

Bobnoxious

Need an Explanation: Preptest 19 - Game 3 - 2 Boats

Postby Bobnoxious » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:46 pm

I can't figure this s.o.b. out. The 7Sage video didn't help me a bit, and in fact, served to confuse me even more. Rules 2 & 3 have got me all confuzzled. HELP! please.

magickware

Re: Need an Explanation: Preptest 19 - Game 3 - 2 Boats

Postby magickware » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:36 pm

Rules-
1) Each boat must have at least one adult. Self-explanatory.
2) F2->G2. Contra= -G2->-F2 What does this mean? G1->F1
3) V1->W2. Contra= -W2->-V1 What does this mean? W1->V2

When it's an either or situation like these, it's always easier to just think of the contrapositive as a separate rule onto itself. So basically you have four conditionals.
F2->G2
G1->F1
V1->W2
W1->V2

The key for this game is to understand how the conditionals work. Here's a hint.

F1->?
G2->?
V2->?
W2->?

4) X and Z cannot be together.

Rule 4 is effectively a non-issue. It's just there to mess with you on the first question.
The first two rules play heavily with one another, due to the fact that they all involve adults.

Let us know if there's any lingering confusion. Just take a while to play around with the conditionals and figure out what they mean.

Bobnoxious

Postby Bobnoxious » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:12 pm

Thanks!....JEEZ....I had to play around with it for about 30 minutes before it started to click. <sigh> Just what I need is another game like this. <grumble>

magickware

Postby magickware » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:26 pm

It gets easier as you continue doing more stuff with conditionals.

I like to write down the ? stuff just so I don't get confused by it.

The issue with that particular 7sage video was that J.Y. skipped over explaining conditionals. I'm sure it's covered in the courses, but this game is painful without understanding how conditionals work.

If you haven't already, get either the PS LG Bible or the Manhattan LSAT LG book. I haven't read through the Manhattan LG book, but I would imagine it's as good as their LR and RC book. The LG Bible does an excellent job of teaching every aspect of the LG, and afterwards it's just a matter of a shit-ton of practice to refine your strategy.

One thing you should be doing is repeating games over and over. Redo a game that you struggled even slightly with two or so days later. Then redo it again on a later date.

Bobnoxious

Postby Bobnoxious » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:29 pm

Here's what sucks...I JUST finished the Live Online Powerscore course. I *thought* I had it figured out. So much for that idea.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:29 pm

Bobnoxious wrote:Thanks!....JEEZ....I had to play around with it for about 30 minutes before it started to click. <sigh> Just what I need is another game like this. <grumble>

Those rule structures and other similar ones have appeared on enough different tests over the years to make them something not unlikely to get on test day, so you better get familiar with them and how to easily manipulate them properly (many people misinterpret the rules to mean things they do not establish) in case you see something similar on test day.

They aren't that bad once you go through them and get familiar with the different possibilities they allow or force, understand how they work and see how the questions play off them to get to correct answers. When you see them again things should go smoothly since you'll already understand the important basic parts of how they work and just have to apply that to the context of the given game with the other rules you are given.

The main trick is just not jumping to the false conclusions about these types of rules that many lower performing students do, namely, that F & G have to be together and that V & W cannot be together. Those are the common mistakes/false interpretations most people make with those rules that causes them to F'k up and have trouble with the game.

Bobnoxious

Postby Bobnoxious » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:32 pm

Jeffort wrote:
Bobnoxious wrote:Thanks!....JEEZ....I had to play around with it for about 30 minutes before it started to click. <sigh> Just what I need is another game like this. <grumble>

The main trick is just not jumping to the false conclusions about these types of rules that many lower performing students do, namely, that F & G have to be together and that V & W cannot be together. Those are the common mistakes/false interpretations most people make with those rules that causes them to F'k up and have trouble with the game.

That's EXACTLY what I did when I was trying to work through it....both of 'em. FG had to go together and VW couldn't...or so I thought. Practice, practice, practice.

Thank goodness I'll have October if I need a retest. I'm fairly certain I will.

magickware

Postby magickware » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:36 pm

In my experience, courses are only helpful as supplements to self-study. They're a great way for you to figure out issues when you know what your issues are. They don't help all that much when you have no idea what you're doing in the first place.

I strongly recommend that you reread the PS LG Bible and to get your hands on the Manhattan LSAT LR book. The general consensus, afaik at least, is that those two are the best for their respective sections.

And memorize them. Inside and out. Ask questions here as much as you can whenever you run into something that you do not understand.

And use 7sage and the manhattanlsat forums (http://www.manhattanlsat.com/forums/) for additional support on LG and LR.

But, ya, conditionals are quite annoying, especially when you're not thinking straight because of anxiety and whatnot. Just get into a habit of questioning what the conditionals say.

flash21

Postby flash21 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:10 am

if you google 7 sage free logic games videos, there is ALL the logic games free in video explained

edit; nvm didnt even read the op

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”