Box to put cell phones in during LSAT? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Typhoon24

Silver

Box to put cell phones in during LSAT?

Post by Typhoon24 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:58 pm

do the test centers for the LSAT have a designated place where people can put their cell phones while they take the LSAT?

I'm being dropped off to take the test and need to call my ride when I'm done. I wish it was simple where I could just tell him that the test is going to take X hours and he can find me exactly at this spot, but that doesn't seem feasible. For the location problem, we have a crowded university where people can wait in the drop-off for only 5-10 mins at a time. For the timing issue, I've heard that the test can seriously fluctuate in the total time you spend in the room, so I could be off by a great margin. Some of my friends even suggested hiding my phone in a random place that only I would know of--or at least no one would come into contact with for the duration of the test, while others told me to just take the damn phone with me, but both don't seem reasonable at all.

any ideas?

KD35

Silver

Re: Box to put cell phones in during LSAT?

Post by KD35 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:02 pm

I mean they won't pat you down...you can try to turn it off and leave it in your pocket and hope it doesn't accidentally turn back on

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:06 pm

Nope.

Some proctors would be cool about just leaving your phone turned off with them, but some will throw you out of the test right then.
Either make note of a payphone nearby (rare unicorns that they are), find a business nearby that would let you make a call, or put your phone in a ziploc baggie and bury or hide it somewhere. Or risk taking your phone in and maybe getting a dickhead proctor.

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:18 pm

There will not be a safe place provided to store your cell phone during the test and if you get caught with one after you have been checked in you will get kicked out and written up, so you should not risk smuggling one in. Don't ask a proctor to hold it for you, people have been written up and kicked out for doing that. If you have a cell phone with you after check-in for any reason, even if the reason is to give it to a proctor, you are breaking the rules and a strict proctor will bust you without sympathy.

It shouldn't be that hard to figure out a place on campus to meet your ride where you are allowed to hang out for more than 10 minutes. I doubt the entire campus has a no loitering in any spot for more than 10 minutes rule, that would be absurd. People are typically done and allowed to leave about 4-4.5 hours after the check-in deadline time. You can just play it safe and tell your ride to pick you up at spot X at 5pm, and if you are not there at 5 to wait for you, easy as that. Alternatively, you can find a phone to use after the test is over to call your ride. You may have to look around but payphones do still exist, or you could just ask a good Samaritan that is on campus to use their phone to make a call, somebody with one will say yes if you are nice about it.
Last edited by Jeffort on Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NanaP

Bronze

Post by NanaP » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:19 pm

Typhoon24 wrote:do the test centers for the LSAT have a designated place where people can put their cell phones while they take the LSAT?

I'm being dropped off to take the test and need to call my ride when I'm done. I wish it was simple where I could just tell him that the test is going to take X hours and he can find me exactly at this spot, but that doesn't seem feasible. For the location problem, we have a crowded university where people can wait in the drop-off for only 5-10 mins at a time. For the timing issue, I've heard that the test can seriously fluctuate in the total time you spend in the room, so I could be off by a great margin. Some of my friends even suggested hiding my phone in a random place that only I would know of--or at least no one would come into contact with for the duration of the test, while others told me to just take the damn phone with me, but both don't seem reasonable at all.

any ideas?
I would memorize or write down the number, then after the test find someone or a restuarant and ask to use the phone, you could ask a campus student as well....

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:01 am

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”