What option to choose Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

What option would you choose

Kaplan Course
No votes
Self-Study
78%
PowerScore
7%
Testmasters
15%

Total votes: 27

Hat.trick

Bronze

What option to choose

Post by Hat.trick » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:17 pm

I took one of Kaplans free proctored diagnostics without ever seeing an LSAT question and scored a 163. I got to meet the instructor who had a 99% approval rating, 5+ years of experience, scored in the 99th percentile, and seemed like a cool guy. however, after reading all the kaplan-bashing on TLS im not sure if i should take this course as opposed to another company or self study. I want to score 172+ and intend to do a shitload of practice tests and buy the bibles to supplement any course i take. what you you do?
Last edited by Hat.trick on Wed May 14, 2014 12:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

objection_your_honor

Silver

Re: What option to choose

Post by objection_your_honor » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:22 pm

That's a solid diagnostic. Self study to 172+.

magickware

Bronze

Post by magickware » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:38 pm

163 on your first diagnostic?

Self-study and get PS Bibles and the MLSAT books. You have no need for classes. Just read the stickies at the top and make sure you're not starting blind on your studying.

jk148706

Gold

Post by jk148706 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:25 pm

Hat.trick wrote:I took one of Kaplans free proctored diagnostics without ever seeing an LSAT question and scored a 163. I got to meet the instructor who had a 99% approval rating, 5+ years of experience, scored in the 99th percentile, and seemed like a cool guy. however, after reading all the kaplan-bashing on TLS im not sure if i should take this course as opposed to another company or self study. I want to score 172+ and intend to do a shitload of practice tests and buy the bibles to supplement any course i take. what you you do?
Is there a website that shows when/where these proctored exams are ??

mvonh001

Silver

Post by mvonh001 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:07 pm

What about a credited prep company? Like BP or MLSAT? Or Velocity online?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:15 pm

jk148706 wrote: Is there a website that shows when/where these proctored exams are ??

For free proctored test offers you need to check with the companies in your area to see if any are offering one near where you are. Kaplan typically offers free proctored diagnostic tests in major market areas such as big major cities across the country several times a year. When and where varies by location, but over the last few years they have been offering one on the same day as the real test for some administrations. Manhattan has also offered free practice test events in the past in some cities, and so have other companies.

You really just need to call around or search the web. Calling around would probably be faster and easier than searching all over the web. Try Kaplan first since they offer them the most and in the most different locations, given that they are big and like to waste lots of $$ on excessive marketing since they have more $$ to blow than the smaller companies.

You can also look at schedules for prep courses offered in your area to find one that starts soon. The first day of pretty much every prep course is a proctored diagnostic. Some companies will let you sit in and take the diagnostic even if you are not enrolled, some will not. If you say you are thinking about enrolling in their class and want to sit in and take the test, they will probably let you stay and do it, but that depends on the company.

Mr. Lahey

New

Post by Mr. Lahey » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:41 pm

Didn't read before voting. Self study IMO unless you're like me and rack disciprine.
I took the powerscore course and it was identical to the LR/LG bibles, just more material and instruction obviously.

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:01 pm

Do self-study

Buy the Manhattan LSAT bundles

come back and thank Dr. Dre

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:35 pm

Definitely self studying and a healthy dose of TLS will improve your score dramatically. IF you have tons of money (a course will not hinder your score whatsoever, it just might not be worth the money) then take any of the big 4 (PS, MLSAT, TM, BP) and just know that you should study independently along with the class. NEVER take a class and assume "now I'm going to skate my way to a 180!" Classes are merely supplements, not substitutes, for rigorous self-studying.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Archangel

Bronze

Post by Archangel » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:01 pm

jk148706 wrote:
Hat.trick wrote:I took one of Kaplans free proctored diagnostics without ever seeing an LSAT question and scored a 163. I got to meet the instructor who had a 99% approval rating, 5+ years of experience, scored in the 99th percentile, and seemed like a cool guy. however, after reading all the kaplan-bashing on TLS im not sure if i should take this course as opposed to another company or self study. I want to score 172+ and intend to do a shitload of practice tests and buy the bibles to supplement any course i take. what you you do?
Is there a website that shows when/where these proctored exams are ??
http://www.kaptest.com/LSAT/LSAT-Prep/free-events.html

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:23 pm

Micdiddy wrote:the big 4 (PS, MLSAT, TM, BP)
Actually it's the big 3 (PS, MLSAT, BP).

There's a reason people say TTTesTTTmasTTTers
Micdiddy wrote:
Classes are merely supplements, not substitutes, for rigorous self-studying.
1 fucking 80!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”