Manhattan lsat books

azditamo

Manhattan lsat books

Postby azditamo » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:02 pm

Can someone tell me why people are saying to use these books. Currently I'm using the bibles and the 10 actual books following the guides listed here viewtopic.php?f=6&t=200917. Should I also use those books to help me with lg and rc my two weak sections. Please help. Thank you. Also what books are mandatory to get 170+ and what books are recommended? Please give me a comprehensive unbiased list.

lsatyolo

Re: Manhattan lsat books

Postby lsatyolo » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:16 pm

The manhattan series and powerscore bibles are the most highly recommended prep books on here. There ya go.

azditamo

Postby azditamo » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:34 pm

Do they work concurrently with one another or do you just pick one?

christam

Postby christam » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:12 pm

Powerscore Logic Games Bible, Manhattan Logical Reasoning, Be an avid reader your whole life for RC.

magickware

Postby magickware » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:22 pm

Manhattan LSAT LR is far superior to the LR Bible. Memorize the MLSAT LR book front and back and you're pretty much good to go.

Game goes either way, but I started with the LG Bible and so I find myself using their strat a lot more often. LG is mostly just about being comfortable with your strategy for each game type and being able to understand rules more than anything though, so the method you use is not particularly important so long as it works for your goal of getting -0.

There is absolutely nothing that is going to help your RC besides getting good at rote memorization. Strategies only get you so far if you lack rote memorization and have to look back to the passage at every question.

azditamo

Postby azditamo » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:01 pm

Son of a bee sting. I bought the lr bible book. Now you telling me that I water my money. Whatever better that I know that now than later in my studying. Thank you.

magickware

Postby magickware » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:12 pm

Everything that is a LSAT dedicated resource isn't a waste of money (besides the Princeton Review book. That thing is just utterly pointless). There are many people who swear by the LR Bible.

But if you have basic issues with your LR ability like the vast majority of LSAT takers do, then the MLSAT LR book is better because it is more in-depth and walks you through the concepts better. The LR Bible is more just a bunch of strategies that you can use.

meegee

Postby meegee » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:55 pm

I definitely feel that the Manhattan and Powerscore books complement one another. Yes, they may have conflicting ideas at times (such as different ways to diagram), but if you learn them both, it'll become more like a "pick and choose" what suits you. Plus they also have similarities as well. So it's more like choosing steak with mushroom sauce, or steak with A1 sauce (or you can mix both sauces). I have not bought or read the Powerscore RC, and I have not read the Manhattan LR yet, so I'm basically just talking about the logic games.

Not exactly relevant, but one of my issues with Powerscore is their overemphasis on classifications. I can see how classifications can be helpful, but they stress it too much. As long as you know how to tackle the question, who cares if you know how to classify it? I see where they're going - if you know how to classify a question, and hence know its type, you'll know the best way to attack that question. But as long as you can, in a general sense, tell question types apart, that should be good enough.

On a slightly more relevant note. Mike Kim, the dude who helped develop Manhattan's stuff, has actually recently come out with his own LSAT book. You can find it under LSAT Trainer.

Unfortunately, there is no "mandatory" or "best" book out there, and any answer given in response to that will be biased. But I must agree with one of the posters above. You did not "waste" your money on Powerscores LR. A lot of people used it, and it has helped them. If you end up picking up another LR book, and end up liking that one better, the Powerscore LR still served to expose you to different methods of working the questions, and helping you find what suits you better. If time and money are not a huge constraint, I can only say, more is better.

Nova

Postby Nova » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:00 pm

Just do both

magickware

Postby magickware » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:36 pm

meegee wrote:mphasis on classifications. I can see how classifications can be helpful, but they stress it too much. As long as you know how to tackle the question, who cares if you know how to classify it? I see where they're going - if you know how to classify a question, and hence know its type, you'll know the best way to attack that question. But as long as you can, in a general sense, tell question types apart, that should be good enough.

See, I initially thought this too.

And then one day I just got what family type the question fell into, and then things just got a lot easier. I had a rough idea of what I was supposed to look for now, since LSAC recycles a whole bunch of common methods for the vast majority of their question types.

It made me much faster, and now I can confidently finish the first 15 or so within 13-15 minutes. The first 10 is more or less guaranteed in 7-8 minutes. It basically leaves me 2-3 minutes for each of the later questions, and that time is invaluable.

I was unable to do this prior to intuitively knowing what family the question fell into.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:19 am

MLSAT books are worth every penny

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”