GMAT vs. GRE after LSAT Prep?

Jdn

GMAT vs. GRE after LSAT Prep?

Postby Jdn » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:14 pm

Hi all,

Wrote the LSAT earlier this year -- first in December sitting then re-wrote in February sitting... Pretty much burned myself out doing nothing but studying for about a 5 month period. Making my final decision now and pretty keen on the JD/MBA program at any of the schools I choose so will need to write either the GMAT or the GRE. From the little bit of research (not a ton of free time these days) I"ve done the GMAT has a significant amount of crossover from the LSAT with almost carbon copy LR questions and RC sections. These seemed like a walk in the park after LSAT prep. The one thing that really troubles me is the quantative stuff because I havn't taken a math class since grade 11.... Any help/advice/opinion would be much appreciated!

The LSAT Trainer

Re: GMAT vs. GRE after LSAT Prep?

Postby The LSAT Trainer » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:27 pm

Hi -- I'm taught and developed curriculum for both the GMAT and the LSAT (though not the GRE) -- here are some thoughts you might find helpful --

The GMAT critical reasoning is very much like LSAT logical reasoning -- some differences are
- GMAT CR q's are, on average, a bit longer and easier than LSAT LR q's (though keep in mind the GMAT is adaptive, as I'm sure you know) -- and you have more time for GMAT CR -- if you spend two mins per, that's fine.
- In my professional opinion, GMAT CR q's are of lower quality than LSAT questions -- compared to LSAT q's, they have a lot of holes in their reasoning/work off of too many assumptions and biases -- many are questions that would not work as LSAT questions -- I think it comes from the fact that they put out a new GMAT test every month that has thousands of questions, and they do a very poor job of keeping up quality control (the consequence is that certain former LSAT students have to "loosen up" in terms of what they expect from a right answer).

- For a lot of GMAT takers, the key is the sentence correction -- SC q's are the most common and predictable verbal q's (same exact issues show up in the same exact ways over and over) -- if you are naturally good at it, or if you develop a system that works, it'll give you a huge advantage over other test takers.

You are right to think about quant as probably the most significant factor in your decision-making --

The quant section is about basic math -- nothing beyond what you learn in algebra and early geometry, along with some basic number theory (things like probability and permutations and such, which EVERYONE who studies for the test needs to brush up on anyway) --

The quant is not meant to be a test of how much math you know -- it's really a test of how flexible and comfortable you can be with fairly basic math concepts -- a classic, challenging version of this would be to figure out the your average speed if you went around a 120 mile track twice -- first going 60 mph, second going 40 miles per hour -- the question is plenty tough, but it's not tough because it involves higher level math -- it's hard because it requires a specific and accurate use of the basic average formula --

HTH -- good luck! -- Mike

Jdn

Re: GMAT vs. GRE after LSAT Prep?

Postby Jdn » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:39 pm

Thanks! much appreciated!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”