Withdrawing From June Test, Advice for October?

tanyrseay

Withdrawing From June Test, Advice for October?

Postby tanyrseay » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:57 am

As I mentioned in an earlier thread, I am finishing up a Kaplan course this week but have had little to no success. I have a goal of a 165 on the actual LSAT, so I have decided to postpone until October. I've already bought the Logical Reasoning and Logic Games Bible. They're on their way, and I should receive them soon. The challenge for me is going to now be motivation and lack of a structured study schedule. What steps should I take to rigorously study for the next 4 months? Does anybody know of a detailed planned that incorporates these two books? Also, what books do you recommend as far as RC goes? Someone told me Manhattan's book was great for RC. If no one has any suggestions week by week, is there any monthly suggestions you may have? I was thinking about purchasing a study plan on the LSAT Blog, but I am worried it will not coincide very well with the LR and LG Bibles. I really think these books are going to be more helpful in developing fundamental skills Kaplan failed to teach me. Thanks!

Clearly

Re: Withdrawing From June Test, Advice for October?

Postby Clearly » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:08 pm

The Manhattan book is indeed great for rc. Best of luck! I love when people take good advice and postpone for a better score!

grandmastafunkz

Postby grandmastafunkz » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:37 pm

I loved the powerscore books but ended up falling into a rut towards the end of my time with those books. I would also look into 7sage. It's a great program that offers video explanations for 1,000's of questions. Their lessons also helped me improve my testing score in every area of the test. They offer a free trial, so I would look into that as well if I were you.

jingosaur

Postby jingosaur » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:56 pm

Yeah, don't take the tests without reading these books and getting plenty of practice with them. It takes about 10-15 preptests before the concepts that you learn in them become natural during testing conditions. These books contain a lot of assumptions and trends that occur on the LSAT that are non-obvious to almost all test takers. If you're making fundamental mistakes on the test then these books may boost you into the 170s. Delaying is probably best option for you if you haven't gone through these books yet.

Before Manhattan RC I was typically -5 to -8 and now I'm -1 to -4.
Before Powerscore LR I was typically -4 to -7 (combined) and now I'm -0 to -4
Powerscore LG will give you great results too if you struggle on that section.

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:54 pm

tanyrseay wrote:As I mentioned in an earlier thread, I am finishing up a Kaplan course this week but have had little to no success. I have a goal of a 165 on the actual LSAT, so I have decided to postpone until October. I've already bought the Logical Reasoning and Logic Games Bible. They're on their way, and I should receive them soon. The challenge for me is going to now be motivation and lack of a structured study schedule. What steps should I take to rigorously study for the next 4 months? Does anybody know of a detailed planned that incorporates these two books? Also, what books do you recommend as far as RC goes? Someone told me Manhattan's book was great for RC. If no one has any suggestions week by week, is there any monthly suggestions you may have? I was thinking about purchasing a study plan on the LSAT Blog, but I am worried it will not coincide very well with the LR and LG Bibles. I really think these books are going to be more helpful in developing fundamental skills Kaplan failed to teach me. Thanks!

My study plans actually incorporate tips regarding how to use the the LR and LG Bibles specifically, so you can definitely use my schedules with them. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”