Retake: Question about LSAT Prep Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
LewAlcindor

New

Retake: Question about LSAT Prep

Post by LewAlcindor » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:20 am

Hello folks,

I have a few questions about LSAT Prep, especially regarding retaking.
I sat for the February administration and scored a 160. I studied for about 6 weeks while in school and working. I was not consistent with studying at all, but still feel like I was able to grasp some of the larger concepts. I used Princeton Review's Cracking the LSAT and, after I finished it, I still felt ill-prepared, so I bought Nova's Master the LSAT. I read it cover to cover and felt like it helped a lot. I purchased the "10 New Actual, Official LSAT PrepTests."
My practice test sessions (I only did 3 under real conditions) were mid- to high- 150's, but I felt like the LSAT went decently well considering the time constraints of study and my school/work schedule. I was relieved to see that my gut feeling was right considering a 160 is a decent score for a first-time test taker.
Since the February administration is non-disclosed, I have no way of knowing what I missed or what I got correct, but I know from my practice tests which sections I need to work on.
Games give me almost no trouble (regularly at -3), but Reading Comprehension is by far my worst section and Logical Reasoning (Arguements) is also tough for me.

I am taking the October administration and I really want to get somewhere in the 173-175 score band.
So, my main question is this: Do you all feel that buying the Powerscore Bibles for each of these subjects (specifically Reading) will help me or not? What have you found to be the best book for improving Reading Comprehension for a retaker? What have you found to be the best book for improving Arguments? If you have used Powerscore Bibles extensively, can you comment on the results you've gotten?

I cannot afford to take a "LSAT Course" from any of the big name companies, but this does not mean I am not invested in doing well on the LSAT. I am devoting my summer and fall to LSAT prep (I am taking less than a full-course load at my university in order to prepare for the LSAT). I am familiar with some of the common websites mentioned on the TLS Forum such as lsatblog, and 7sage: I have found them to be wonderful tools in my study.

Any advice or insight you may have would be greatly appreciated. I really really want to improve my RC and do better on the LSAT!

Thank you!
L.A. the retaker

SteelPenguin

Silver

Re: Retake: Question about LSAT Prep

Post by SteelPenguin » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:28 pm

LewAlcindor wrote:Hello folks,

I have a few questions about LSAT Prep, especially regarding retaking.
I sat for the February administration and scored a 160. I studied for about 6 weeks while in school and working. I was not consistent with studying at all, but still feel like I was able to grasp some of the larger concepts. I used Princeton Review's Cracking the LSAT and, after I finished it, I still felt ill-prepared, so I bought Nova's Master the LSAT. I read it cover to cover and felt like it helped a lot. I purchased the "10 New Actual, Official LSAT PrepTests."
My practice test sessions (I only did 3 under real conditions) were mid- to high- 150's, but I felt like the LSAT went decently well considering the time constraints of study and my school/work schedule. I was relieved to see that my gut feeling was right considering a 160 is a decent score for a first-time test taker.
Since the February administration is non-disclosed, I have no way of knowing what I missed or what I got correct, but I know from my practice tests which sections I need to work on.
Games give me almost no trouble (regularly at -3), but Reading Comprehension is by far my worst section and Logical Reasoning (Arguements) is also tough for me.

I am taking the October administration and I really want to get somewhere in the 173-175 score band.
So, my main question is this: Do you all feel that buying the Powerscore Bibles for each of these subjects (specifically Reading) will help me or not? What have you found to be the best book for improving Reading Comprehension for a retaker? What have you found to be the best book for improving Arguments? If you have used Powerscore Bibles extensively, can you comment on the results you've gotten?

I cannot afford to take a "LSAT Course" from any of the big name companies, but this does not mean I am not invested in doing well on the LSAT. I am devoting my summer and fall to LSAT prep (I am taking less than a full-course load at my university in order to prepare for the LSAT). I am familiar with some of the common websites mentioned on the TLS Forum such as lsatblog, and 7sage: I have found them to be wonderful tools in my study.

Any advice or insight you may have would be greatly appreciated. I really really want to improve my RC and do better on the LSAT!

Thank you!
L.A. the retaker
For me, powerscore (all three) were great for building a foundation (154 -> 165ish), and Manhattan (RC + LG) helped to give me an additional boost in the 170s.
Last edited by SteelPenguin on Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:49 pm

You read through 2 books, took 3 practice tests, and scored a 160?

You can go a lot higher than that.

Read through some more books, take a LOT more practice tests, and aim for a 170+.

lsattaker22

New

Post by lsattaker22 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:44 pm

I was wondering if anyone has recently taken the Powerscore LSAT prep course and if it really helped. Which one is the best LSAT prep course? What about Kaplan?

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:12 pm

lsattaker22 wrote:I was wondering if anyone has recently taken the Powerscore LSAT prep course and if it really helped. Which one is the best LSAT prep course? What about Kaplan?
You can read reviews here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 6&t=151670

Just as important as the curriculum, however, is the instructor. So after you get it narrowed down just based on teaching philosophy and style, call up each company and see if you can talk to the instructor for your area. If you need help setting up that talk for Blueprint, shoot me a PM!

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:17 pm

if you are going to self study, buy Manhattan lsat rc guide over the bible, it's a great book. If you are looking for a course, take BP, they're strongest in rc and lr

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”