LG one step forward, one back

Nothing but the Funk

LG one step forward, one back

Postby Nothing but the Funk » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:43 pm

So when I took my first diagnostic I didn't know how to diagram questions so I lost points by having to go half blind. But now that I know how to I am only getting through three out of four games per section. Has anyone else had this happen? I'm going on faith that the more tests I do the quicker I will get.

Re: LG one step forward, one back

Postby mx23250 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:14 pm

I was in the same boat as you when I took my first test ~3.5 months ago. Once I went through the LGB and learned the methods I was still struggling with timing as I averaged ~10-12min per game (although I would get most, if not all, correct in the games I did do). I then practiced practiced and then practiced some more. In particular, I got the powerscore logic game training book that has all the games from PTs 1-20 organized by game type. There are other books that do the same thing though other than powerscore you can get. After going through all 80 games (~2-3 weeks) I'm down to easily finishing all four games in under 35min while only missing 1-2 on average at the moment.
You're right in that the more you do, the faster you'll get. You'll be quicker at understanding inferences and you'll get faster at being able to eliminate incorrect answers by knowing what to look for.

Postby meegee » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:17 pm

This is fairly common. Because you're getting used to this "system" of diagramming, you may not be diagramming as quickly as possible, thus perhaps taking more time to go through games than your initial diagnostic. But as you become more versed with your "system," your diagramming will become quicker.

Finally, just because you know how to diagram, it does not guarantee you'll start flying through logic games like that. Logic games can still be difficult. Once you've done an adequate amount of practice, and start seeing the inference patterns in many of these games (the LSAC recycles inferences pretty often), that will also up your speed.

I would recommend you practice more with drilling than taking tests when you first start. It's easier to get a better understanding of a certain game type if you're doing those constantly. Finally, with practice tests, if they have a logic game section composed entirely of pure sequencing, and you're good at pure sequencing, you'll finish that quickly, and might think that you're good to go for the logic game section. What if your actual LSAT was composed mainly of grouping games?

Start with drilling linear games, as those are, statistically, most likely to show up on your actual LSAT (most games are linear based).

The LSAT Trainer

Postby The LSAT Trainer » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:19 pm

EDIT -- I was too damn slow typing -- ditto what the above folks said -- MK

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”