3 RC Passages instead of 4? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
gurlja18

New

3 RC Passages instead of 4?

Post by gurlja18 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:13 am

Hi everyone,
So I'm taking the LSAT next week. RC is my worst section( I usually get around 10-15 wrong per section) I know that 1 week is not enough time to improve on it so I had the idea of doing 3 passages instead of the 4. Timing is my biggest issue so I figured I could spent about 12 minutes on each and only get the last 6-8 wrong (which is way better than I usually do) Is this a good idea?

RhymesLikeDimes

Bronze

Re: 3 RC Passages instead of 4?

Post by RhymesLikeDimes » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:18 am

If you're even considering something like that, wait until October.

gurlja18

New

Post by gurlja18 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:20 am

Ocotber isnt feasable for me. I'll be moving to a new state for a full-time job with unpredictable hours.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:03 am

If you have to take this test (which is a big "if"), then only hitting 3 of the passages is a viable strategy. Don't try it for the first time on test day - make sure that the math works out ahead of time with how many you can reliably answer in 3 passages with 11-12 minutes/passage. But if you're going to take this exam, and 3 passages will result in a higher score than 4 passages, then only do 3 passages.

If you go this route and end up with 5 minutes left at the end, read the first and last sentences of each paragraph in the final passage and then pick the weakest AC for each question that aligns with what you read. Accuracy won't be great (though many people are surprised at how many you can get correct with this method), but it'll be better than 20%.

However, like RLD said, if you think with more practice you can get to all 4, I would highly recommend doing so. The LSAT score is ridiculously important for the rest of your life since it will determine school prospects and scholarships.

gurlja18

New

Post by gurlja18 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:39 am

thank you!!!
bp shinners wrote:If you have to take this test (which is a big "if"), then only hitting 3 of the passages is a viable strategy. Don't try it for the first time on test day - make sure that the math works out ahead of time with how many you can reliably answer in 3 passages with 11-12 minutes/passage. But if you're going to take this exam, and 3 passages will result in a higher score than 4 passages, then only do 3 passages.

If you go this route and end up with 5 minutes left at the end, read the first and last sentences of each paragraph in the final passage and then pick the weakest AC for each question that aligns with what you read. Accuracy won't be great (though many people are surprised at how many you can get correct with this method), but it'll be better than 20%.

However, like RLD said, if you think with more practice you can get to all 4, I would highly recommend doing so. The LSAT score is ridiculously important for the rest of your life since it will determine school prospects and scholarships.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JackSparrow

New

Post by JackSparrow » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:02 pm

If you do this and need to guess on the last passage, guess the same letter for each. Also skip a passage that only has 5 questions.

If your lucky you'll get 2/5 on the last passage, and assuming you did well on the others with the extra time, you may end up going only -5 to -7 for the section.

I did this myself on a few RC sections just to see what would happen, and was pleasantly surprised with the results.

Good luck.

NanaP

Bronze

Post by NanaP » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:19 pm

JackSparrow wrote:If you do this and need to guess on the last passage, guess the same letter for each. Also skip a passage that only has 5 questions.

If your lucky you'll get 2/5 on the last passage, and assuming you did well on the others with the extra time, you may end up going only -5 to -7 for the section.

I did this myself on a few RC sections just to see what would happen, and was pleasantly surprised with the results.

Good luck.

that's actually a pretty good strategy

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”