Months/hours of prep and score improvement

mx23250
Posts: 638
Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 3:44 pm

Months/hours of prep and score improvement

Postby mx23250 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am

Hey everyone! First off, I haven't been on here real long but I've learned a wealth of information, so thank you all for that!

Out of curiosity, how many months (or better yet, estimated hours since 4 months of 20hrs/week is different than 4 months of 5hrs per week) did you spend studying and what sort of score improvement (and/or final test score) did you see? I'm just curious what many of your experiences were.

User avatar
patfeeney
Posts: 437
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:47 pm

Re: Months/hours of prep and score improvement

Postby patfeeney » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:17 am

Studying since January 3rd. Approx. 8-10 point improvement, from 158 to 166-168.

User avatar
RhymesLikeDimes
Posts: 403
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:58 pm

Re: Months/hours of prep and score improvement

Postby RhymesLikeDimes » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:24 am

~5 months, ~20 hours a week on average. When I first got started, I was cranking out 30 hour weeks like nothing. But the last month or two I haven't had the motivation/need to do more than 10h/week.

My diagnostic was 164, but my true starting score was probably more ~160. I have hit 180 four times in the last two weeks on PTs, and would be aghast to see anything less than 175 on the real deal.

User avatar
Typhoon24
Posts: 649
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:09 pm

Re: Months/hours of prep and score improvement

Postby Typhoon24 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:27 am

6 months, went from about a 157 to 167+. I scored in the 70s several times, but not enough to be consistent.

mx23250
Posts: 638
Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 3:44 pm

Re: Months/hours of prep and score improvement

Postby mx23250 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:56 am

Those are some nice improvements! I've been studying for about 3.5 months with ~20hrs/week and have improved ~10-12 points so far to the mid-160s (high so far of 168). I'm hoping that by the October test date I'll be scoring in the low to mid 170s.

RhymesLikeDimes: Mind if I ask what your general study strategy was? Starting off ~160 and scoring a few 180s is quite impressive in 5 months.

User avatar
Pneumonia
Posts: 1642
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:05 pm

Re: Months/hours of prep and score improvement

Postby Pneumonia » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:05 pm

diagnosed 157 in December, and went through the LGB during Christmas which brought me to a 166 for my second test. Studied about 20 hours a week between then and now, but took several weeks off and had several weeks of less than 5 hours (spring break, finals, etc) and am now averaging in the mid 170's. Several 179's but no 180's yet. Saving that for test day : )

User avatar
SteelPenguin
Posts: 1090
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:37 pm

Re: Months/hours of prep and score improvement

Postby SteelPenguin » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:07 pm

Aug - Dec: Went from 154 to 165.
Feb - June: Now PTing in mid to high 170s.

mx23250
Posts: 638
Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 3:44 pm

Re: Months/hours of prep and score improvement

Postby mx23250 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:56 pm

Pneumonia wrote: Several 179's but no 180's yet. Saving that for test day : )


I like this plan :) Good luck!! Are you taking the June test?

User avatar
jselson
Posts: 6337
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:51 am

Re: Months/hours of prep and score improvement

Postby jselson » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:01 pm

I studied for about 3 months (with a one-month break after the first two) at about 20 hrs/wk, with LG drilling the first week, and PTs/review sessions the rest of the time. Went from a 166 (very loosely timed) diagnostic to a 177 on the real thing, with PTs the last month ranging from 174-180, avg 176, and a scary 169 a week before the test because I took a PT when I was massively tired and didn't even get to my last RC passage, which was normally my best section.

User avatar
suralin
better than you
Posts: 15038
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:52 am

Re: Months/hours of prep and score improvement

Postby suralin » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:29 pm

OP, this thread may be useful to you too: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... ?f=6&t=396

27 pages of comments/advice from people who scored 160+, including how many hours they studied and their study methods.

mx23250
Posts: 638
Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 3:44 pm

Re: Months/hours of prep and score improvement

Postby mx23250 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:41 pm

Suralin wrote:OP, this thread may be useful to you too: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... ?f=6&t=396

27 pages of comments/advice from people who scored 160+, including how many hours they studied and their study methods.



Excellent! Thank you! That will be great to read through. I've came across some study methods but my schedule is so chaotic due to FT work and grad school that consume 12-14 hours each week day, so I'm interested in hearing different approaches I can use to mix-and-match over the next couple months.

User avatar
wtrc
Posts: 2057
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Re: Months/hours of prep and score improvement

Postby wtrc » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:32 pm

MX,

I also work a full-time job. I started studying for this take occasionally last year in August, but then took some time off. Started with a few hours a week and a PT every other week in December. Ramped up to a PT most weeks and ~10 hours of study per week around Feb to March. Continued this, with at least one PT per week (weekends) and 15 hours of study a week with a 10 day vacation break in April.

I also studied for this (not nearly enough) 2 years ago and scored a 166 (from a 158 cold diagnostic). When I started restudying for this more than a few hours a week, I was scoring 169 with extra time on LG. I'm now scoring between 173-180 (sorry, big range... average is around 174-5) timed. It's totally possible to study for this while having a FT job. It's just a matter of cutting out some other stuff and being disciplined. Instead of going out every weekend night and some weekdays, I started staying in some nights. It sucked at times, but it can be done. I also have some free time at my job sometimes, which definitely helped. Maximizing the study time you have is more important than having a ton of it.

mx23250
Posts: 638
Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 3:44 pm

Re: Months/hours of prep and score improvement

Postby mx23250 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:20 pm

wtrcoins3 wrote:MX,

I also work a full-time job. I started studying for this take occasionally last year in August, but then took some time off. Started with a few hours a week and a PT every other week in December. Ramped up to a PT most weeks and ~10 hours of study per week around Feb to March. Continued this, with at least one PT per week (weekends) and 15 hours of study a week with a 10 day vacation break in April.

I also studied for this (not nearly enough) 2 years ago and scored a 166 (from a 158 cold diagnostic). When I started restudying for this more than a few hours a week, I was scoring 169 with extra time on LG. I'm now scoring between 173-180 (sorry, big range... average is around 174-5) timed. It's totally possible to study for this while having a FT job. It's just a matter of cutting out some other stuff and being disciplined. Instead of going out every weekend night and some weekdays, I started staying in some nights. It sucked at times, but it can be done. I also have some free time at my job sometimes, which definitely helped. Maximizing the study time you have is more important than having a ton of it.


That's reassuring. I'm hoping to get to the mid 170s as well. I seem to have a pretty similar routine as yourself. I'm hoping to kick it into higher gear here though once my intense summer class is out in a couple weeks.

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4165
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: Months/hours of prep and score improvement

Postby Clearly » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:24 pm

9 months. Diagnostic 151. First official 164, last official 176.

mx23250
Posts: 638
Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 3:44 pm

Re: Months/hours of prep and score improvement

Postby mx23250 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:47 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:9 months. Diagnostic 151. First official 164, last official 176.


Nice!!




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dan9257 and 3 guests