How important is bringing a watch to test day?

How necessary is having your own timer?

Essential
41%
Highly recommended
35%
Handy
13%
Only if you already have one
4%
Total garbage
7%

Total votes: 46

intlsplitr

Re: How important is bringing a watch to test day?

Postby intlsplitr » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:19 pm

I know the OP made a decision, but for others, I definitely agree with rink (and others) suggesting that you should bring a watch. You won't regret having brought one.

I reset the watch to 1125 at the beginning of each section, which made it easier to quickly glance at the watch to see how much time was left. It worked well for me.

magickware

Postby magickware » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:31 pm

It gives you nice peace of mind to have a clock with you.

I made the unfortunate mistake of not paying attention to what time it was when the proctor started the test on sec. 2 of my first LSAT. Had absolutely no idea how much time I had and just freaked out as a result of it. I rushed through all four games, then realized that I must have time left and went back to check up answers. Then I spent too much time doing stupid confirmations on things that weren't necessary and didn't get a chance to check on things that I really should have.

That incident shook my confidence and rattled me for the entire test.

KingofSplitters55

Postby KingofSplitters55 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:58 pm

Bring the watch but don't obsess over it. You don't know if you'll have an easily viewable clock in the room. Also you can't be sure how good your proctor will be in terms of telling you the time. He might tell you at the 15 min, 10, and 5 marks, or he might just say nothing until the 1 minute notice.

LDVM4334

Postby LDVM4334 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:49 pm

KingofSplitters55 wrote:Bring the watch but don't obsess over it. You don't know if you'll have an easily viewable clock in the room. Also you can't be sure how good your proctor will be in terms of telling you the time. He might tell you at the 15 min, 10, and 5 marks, or he might just say nothing until the 1 minute notice.

Has anyone had a proctor give 15/10/5 warnings? That'd be great, but also in violation of the rules, I believe. This isn't 'Nam.

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:54 pm

LDVM4334 wrote:
KingofSplitters55 wrote:Bring the watch but don't obsess over it. You don't know if you'll have an easily viewable clock in the room. Also you can't be sure how good your proctor will be in terms of telling you the time. He might tell you at the 15 min, 10, and 5 marks, or he might just say nothing until the 1 minute notice.

Has anyone had a proctor give 15/10/5 warnings? That'd be great, but also in violation of the rules, I believe. This isn't 'Nam.

That would be awful. You'd have your train of thought interrupted three times, and an additional two panic attacks set in (in addition to the requisite one at the five minute warning).

Dog

Postby Dog » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:57 am

I lost my analog watch and did most of my preptests using my cell phone as a digital timer. It could be mere coincidence (or due to improving), but I found I performed noticeably better with the analog watch (I bought a new one) as opposed to a digital timer. I finish sections a few minutes faster. I think the digital timer was too much of a distraction and I was looking at it too often.

I definitely recommend bringing a watch, but you probably don't need to check it more than four times or so a section. If you start checking it after every problem or every other problem it can get in your head. I can easily imagine that SOME people that have taken an LSAT with a watch would have fared better without one, just don't abuse it and you'll be fine.

sublime

Postby sublime » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:00 pm

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:28 pm

sublime wrote:
Dog wrote:I lost my analog watch and did most of my preptests using my cell phone as a digital timer. It could be mere coincidence (or due to improving), but I found I performed noticeably better with the analog watch (I bought a new one) as opposed to a digital timer. I finish sections a few minutes faster. I think the digital timer was too much of a distraction and I was looking at it too often.

I definitely recommend bringing a watch, but you probably don't need to check it more than four times or so a section. If you start checking it after every problem or every other problem it can get in your head. I can easily imagine that SOME people that have taken an LSAT with a watch would have fared better without one, just don't abuse it and you'll be fine.

That is one of the reasons I am wearing a watch for all my drilling and PT's now. To get used to it being there and not having to check it. And as someone who does not wear watches, I am trying to also wear it most of the time I am awake so it doesn't bother me.

Many people don't actually wear the watch, just set it down on the desk next to you.

sublime

Postby sublime » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:30 pm

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”