Want to withdraw: how to persuade family...?? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
15chocolate

New

Want to withdraw: how to persuade family...??

Post by 15chocolate » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:04 am

Hi, this question might sound silly, but this is a serious question I have...
Since I feel I'm not ready, I want to withdraw and move to different time. but my parents push me to take the June one, saying just take it even as experimental and find weakness.
I said we only have 3 chances to take the test, and if we cancel it it's recorded and that should be avoided (and having low score is worse), but they just don't listen to me.
They say I just feel anxious, cannot finish preparing, and even extend to Oct or Dec the score would not change that much etc...
They might be really overprotective, they even said both of them want to come with me to the test center on the test day...stay in a hotel with me...
When I say something like above or deny their proposal, they get angry and behave like not allowing me to take the test anymore.
How can I persuade them without making them angry or persuade them effectively? :cry: :cry:
Actually even I take it on June, it is true I can still take the Oct and Dec/Feb ones if I want. And actually what they say-take it as experimental and find weakness-does not sound too absurd.
I will take it outside the U.S. so the test might be a little different and I may be able find something I need to work on.
But I also saw many people here say not to take if not ready so not sure...
Is there anyone who took their first test as experimental and thought it was beneficial to do?
Cannot concentrate on study these days......
Thanks.

Nova

Platinum

Re: Want to withdraw: how to persuade family...??

Post by Nova » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:25 am

Finding your weaknesses are what practice tests are for.

Don't waste a take if you aren't peaking.

You can be ready by October...

Tell them youre not taking it and explain why thats the best course of action. Stand your ground They can't force you to take it. Who cares if they get mad for a while.
Last edited by Nova on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:46 am

Depending on the country where you are taking the test, you might not even get the breakdown of which questions you got right or wrong. Try searching on TLS for people who have taken the test in your country to see if this is true for you. Getting a low score on that test would be a complete waste because you wouldn't even be learning anything from it. Doing another practice test in timed conditions (which you should be doing anyway) would be way more valuable.

fallingup

Bronze

Post by fallingup » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:27 am

Since I feel I'm not ready, I want to withdraw and move to different time. but my parents push me to take the June one, saying just take it even as experimental and find weakness.
I said we only have 3 chances to take the test, and if we cancel it it's recorded and that should be avoided (and having low score is worse), but they just don't listen to me.
They say I just feel anxious, cannot finish preparing, and even extend to Oct or Dec the score would not change that much etc...
They might be really overprotective, they even said both of them want to come with me to the test center on the test day...stay in a hotel with me...
When I say something like above or deny their proposal, they get angry and behave like not allowing me to take the test anymore.
How can I persuade them without making them angry or persuade them effectively? :cry: :cry:
It sounds like you have a parent problem, not an LSAT problem. You need to make the decision that is best for you, not make decisions based on what you think their reaction will be. Parents are parents, they will get angry and disagree with choices that you make. It happens and you can't prevent it or reason with it. It's time for you to grow up and get over that. Once you do so, you'll stop having this performance anxiety, and then you can focus and make good decisions.

totoro

Bronze

Post by totoro » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:33 am

Agree this sounds like a parent problem, and I'm sorry you have to deal with that on top of LSATs. But almost everyone feels they can be better prepared. So are you happy with your PT scores right now? Are you still getting a wild range or have you tightened up your scores to a consistent range? That's when you know you are ready to take it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

15chocolate

New

Post by 15chocolate » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:14 am

Thanks for your responses guys...
fallingup wrote:
It sounds like you have a parent problem, not an LSAT problem. You need to make the decision that is best for you, not make decisions based on what you think their reaction will be. Parents are parents, they will get angry and disagree with choices that you make. It happens and you can't prevent it or reason with it. It's time for you to grow up and get over that. Once you do so, you'll stop having this performance anxiety, and then you can focus and make good decisions.
totoro wrote:Agree this sounds like a parent problem, and I'm sorry you have to deal with that on top of LSATs. But almost everyone feels they can be better prepared. So are you happy with your PT scores right now? Are you still getting a wild range or have you tightened up your scores to a consistent range? That's when you know you are ready to take it.
I know I can do better if I have more time and I want to take the highest score I can have.
But my parents say if I can take above 160, they are satisfied...seems like they want me to finish the test as soon as possible.
I tried to persuade them...(like the things I said above) and do not know what other things I can say to persuade them...
What would you say if you were in my situation? :cry:
I said...
Cancel is bad, low score is bad, taking 160s is not enough to enter a good law school or having scholarships, I want to become a lawer and to work as a lawyer, law school is important, and LSAT is really really important...etc etc.
What they say is: Just enter law school, have lawyer's licence. Then since you (I) can speak multiple languages, I will be able to work as a lawyer and have enough income...
They said they will reserve the hotel tonight...
:| Why they reserve the hotel...(I wanted to go to the test center by train actually since it only takes 2 hours. Told them this, but they just do not listen to me.)
I think the reason they do not want me to extend the test anymore is because I already moved the test from last year...
The reason was because I moved from a place to another place about 3 times, country to country so was busy and did not have time to prepare...(I thought I would have and told them to take it, but well, in the end I didn't have...)
I know I need to become independent from them (and believe me I'm trying) but their pressure is too strong...especially about this test.
Feel like the only choice I have is to take it and cancel it, then re-take...which I really do not want to do...

objection_your_honor

Silver

Post by objection_your_honor » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:35 am

Just get online right now and withdraw from the June test. Tell them there is no benefit in taking the test before you are prepared. The October test will still get you to law school in the same amount of time. The June test doesn't get you into law school any quicker.

15chocolate

New

Post by 15chocolate » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:40 am

objection_your_honor wrote:Just get online right now and withdraw from the June test. Tell them there is no benefit in taking the test before you are prepared. The October test will still get you to law school in the same amount of time. The June test doesn't get you into law school any quicker.
So..there isn't a good sentence I can use to persuade them, but just say "I won't take it"? :(
I'm sure I will have a quarrel with them and possibly they won't talk with me for a while...and for some reason I feel they'd keep me become busy and not allow to study for the LSAT...
I heard June one allows ppl to apply for early admission, which increases the possibility to have scholarship...does Oct one still work? Dec would be too late I guess though...

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:58 am

You know the reasons waiting is better. Say them. If they don't buy it, refuse to take it.

Also, generally, you can still apply for early decision/admission with an October score. There may be some exceptions idk of tho.
Last edited by Nova on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SteelPenguin

Silver

Post by SteelPenguin » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:58 am

15chocolate wrote:
objection_your_honor wrote:Just get online right now and withdraw from the June test. Tell them there is no benefit in taking the test before you are prepared. The October test will still get you to law school in the same amount of time. The June test doesn't get you into law school any quicker.
So..there isn't a good sentence I can use to persuade them, but just say "I won't take it"? :(
I'm sure I will have a quarrel with them and possibly they won't talk with me for a while...and for some reason I feel they'd keep me become busy and not allow to study for the LSAT...
I heard June one allows ppl to apply for early admission, which increases the possibility to have scholarship...does Oct one still work? Dec would be too late I guess though...
A 160-163 probably isn't giving you a good scholarship from a worthwhile school anyway. If you could raise your score 2-3 points by October, it will be more than worth it to delay. No one sentence is magically going to change your parents' opinion, but you can try and sit down with them and calmly inform them about the application process and why June would hurt more than help you.

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:13 pm

OP, was being a lawyer initially your idea or your parents' idea? Will they disown you or kick you out of the house if you end up having to defer a year or if you choose to not become a lawyer?

My suggestion to you is to go online now and withdraw without telling them. That way there is no way that you can take the test on June 10th. They'll be pissed, but them being mad is better than you settling for a TTT or a TT at sticker. Or maybe you can get them to change their minds before June 10th and pretend that you withdrew later.

Show your parents all of the proper literature about how bad the legal market is. Even though speaking multiple languages helps a little, it doesn't put you ahead of the curve. There are plenty of TLS posts and articles on the rest of the internet that discuss how international students don't do well in law school because of their lack of grammar skills. Based on your writing here, you may be one of those people who has trouble getting professors to see past grammatical errors when deciding your grade.

Either way, you are probably right to defer to October. 3 points can be the difference between getting rejected and getting in with a scholarship. Take your time to get your best score.

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:16 pm

Haven't read whole thing but has anyone mentioned it is too late to withdraw or change the date. Your name will be attached to a test sheet and either you get a no show, cancel or a score. So go take it, and then cancel if you want.

fallingup

Bronze

Post by fallingup » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:17 pm

it sounds like you've already made your decision to withdraw and the only thing stopping you is your parents.

i think you are overly concerned about retaking the test, though. it isn't a catastrophe or a black mark to have to retake the test.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SteelPenguin

Silver

Post by SteelPenguin » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:23 pm

Micdiddy wrote:Haven't read whole thing but has anyone mentioned it is too late to withdraw or change the date. Your name will be attached to a test sheet and either you get a no show, cancel or a score. So go take it, and then cancel if you want.
I thought it was too late to switch, but if you cancel before test day you don't get penalized.

SteelPenguin

Silver

Post by SteelPenguin » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:24 pm

fallingup wrote:it sounds like you've already made your decision to withdraw and the only thing stopping you is your parents.

i think you are overly concerned about retaking the test, though. it isn't a catastrophe or a black mark to have to retake the test.
It's a bad idea to take the test if you don't have a shot at reaching your target scores though.

totoro

Bronze

Post by totoro » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:25 pm

fallingup wrote:it sounds like you've already made your decision to withdraw and the only thing stopping you is your parents.

+1. If you are somehow actually forced into taking it in June, it's not the end of the world. It sounds like you've already been studying for it and feel like you haven't reached your full potential. Something like 20-24% of test takers take the LSAT twice, one "cancel" or one low score should not impact your admissions results.

objection_your_honor

Silver

Post by objection_your_honor » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:27 pm

Micdiddy wrote:Haven't read whole thing but has anyone mentioned it is too late to withdraw or change the date. Your name will be attached to a test sheet and either you get a no show, cancel or a score. So go take it, and then cancel if you want.
You can withdraw all the way up until 11:59 EST on 6/09.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

15chocolate

New

Post by 15chocolate » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:47 pm

Thanks guys...

I will talk with them once again (already did twice but was rejected...).
If I cannot persuade them, well...maybe withdraw it without telling them or take&cancel it.
What concerns me is that they would not allow me to study for the test after June...

and btw if I remember correctly, the deadline to change the test day is already passed but we can withdraw the test by the day before the test day.

SteelPenguin

Silver

Post by SteelPenguin » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:52 pm

15chocolate wrote:Thanks guys...

If I cannot persuade them, well...maybe withdraw it without telling them or take&cancel it.
What concerns me is that they would not allow me to study for the test after June...

and btw if I remember correctly, the deadline to change the test day is already passed but we can withdraw the test by the day before the test day.
They wouldn't allow you to study at all, or they wouldn't allow you to study without any other responsibilities/jobs? If it's the former, then it sounds like you've got serious problems at home that extend far beyond the LSAT.

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:16 pm

objection_your_honor wrote:
You can withdraw all the way up until 11:59 EST on 6/09.
Ah, ok. I guess I was confusing being unable to switch dates and being unable to withdraw. Thanks for clarifying this.

15chocolate

New

Post by 15chocolate » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:17 pm

SteelPenguin wrote:
15chocolate wrote:Thanks guys...

They wouldn't allow you to study at all, or they wouldn't allow you to study without any other responsibilities/jobs? If it's the former, then it sounds like you've got serious problems at home that extend far beyond the LSAT.
They said they want to do a lot of things with me, since I have left home for years...and after entering grad school I will leave home for years again so they say they want to travel with me, go to various places while they can...(and while they have enough physical strength they said)
Also they said I have lots other things to study. (I know this too but for me the LSAT is the most imp to study now...)
So maybe I should say I would not have time to study for LSAT...
Although my father did say he will not allow me to study for the LSAT after June...I think he thinks if I cannot pass the June test, I should give up...
Last edited by 15chocolate on Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

objection_your_honor

Silver

Post by objection_your_honor » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:20 pm

"Not allow" you to study?

15chocolate

New

Post by 15chocolate » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:23 pm

objection_your_honor wrote:"Not allow" you to study?
yup.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:24 pm

15chocolate wrote:Although my father did say he will not allow me to study for the LSAT after June...I think he thinks if I cannot pass the June test, I should give up...
This all sounds ridiculous

You dont pass the LSAT

Theres absolutely no reason to give up studying before you max out your score

Your parents obviously dont understand how any of this works. If they wont listen, you are going to have to make the right decision on your own. Even if you take June, DO NOT stop studying. Keep studying for the next three months to max out your score for October.
Last edited by Nova on Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

objection_your_honor

Silver

Post by objection_your_honor » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:25 pm

If I were in your position I would try to get a job and move out.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”