Worth it to take a prep course for me?

fishbulb

Worth it to take a prep course for me?

Postby fishbulb » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:39 pm

Last edited by fishbulb on Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

sublime

Re: Worth it to take a prep course for me?

Postby sublime » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:45 pm

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:12 am

fishbulb wrote:So after a couple of months of self-study with the LGB and LRB books plus almost every recent prep test, I took the LSAT this past Oct and received a 166 (was hoping for 170+ or wouldn't apply). Since then, I've just been working and am now registered for the Oct '13 test. I've just started prepping again and have been reading through the Manhattan LR and LG books, but am wondering if a prep course could really solidify a mid 170s score or if it might be more cost-efficient to just have a stricter study regimen? I work full-time, so I've been looking into online courses and am leaning towards Velocity. Just as a note, during the two months of self-study prior to Oct '12, I often prepped in lax conditions (would give myself a few extra seconds to finish a section every now and then) and rarely with 5-section tests, though I had several practice scores in the low 170s.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Most prep courses don't generally tailor themselves to people who are already scoring so high. Chances high you already have a good understanding of the test but need to fill in the cracks. Perhaps a private tutor even would be better, or more self-studying and TLS.
Also, before you do anything else, take a real 5 section prep test under strict timing conditions. And continues to do that at least once week until October.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:54 am

fishbulb wrote:I work full-time, so I've been looking into online courses

When you're already scoring as well as you are, a lot of the info presented in a course is going to be old hat. The value will come mostly from having access to someone who scored where you want to score, so they can give you tips throughout the course and answer any questions you have. You lose that with an online course.

I would probably recommend studying for a bit with practice tests. If you're in the high-160s, it's mostly about minimizing mistakes - there aren't a lot of concepts that you don't understand; you're just not perfect at implementing them yet. If you can't move reliably into the 170s, then it's probably time to get a tutor for a few sessions to analyze your weaknesses and fix them.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”