Kaplan Course, no improvement in 10 weeks, Now WHAT?

SDtoDavisTo...

Kaplan Course, no improvement in 10 weeks, Now WHAT?

Postby SDtoDavisTo... » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:12 pm

Should I retake the course? (I can for free).

Should I buy PowerScore/ Manhattan/ or other lsat books/bibles?

I'll concede, I only really started studying alot (outside of class) about 3 weeks ago. So my performance may not be a true assessment of Kaplan's course, but I just need to get a high score to get in anywhere since my gpa sucks.

Any advice would be great..

Secondly,

It's to late to reschedule/ push back my LSAT test date to October? Should I take this and risk a low score, or just take it and cancel my score? Don't want to have bad numbers on my future law school application.

Thanks.

TheMostDangerousLG

Re: Kaplan Course, no improvement in 10 weeks, Now WHAT?

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:22 pm

Not improving due to a Kaplan course means nothing. They suck; don't retake it. Buy the bibles and other guides recommended on these forums (use the search forum to find recommended books, there are tons of threads with recommendations and reviews).

It's too late to reschedule, but you can withdraw your registration for June; the only consequence will be losing the money you paid to register. YOU SHOULD DEFINITELY DO THIS AND TAKE IT IN OCTOBER; DO NOT TAKE IT IN JUNE. (I hope the caps and bold make the strength of this recommendation clear!)
Last edited by TheMostDangerousLG on Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bombaysippin

Postby bombaysippin » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:22 pm

SDtoDavisTo... wrote:Should I retake the course? (I can for free).

I'll concede, I only really started studying alot (outside of class) about 3 weeks ago. So my performance may not be a true assessment of Kaplan's course, but I just need to get a high score to get in anywhere since my gpa sucks.

Secondly,

It's to late to reschedule/ push back my LSAT test date to October? Should I take this and risk a low score, or just take it and cancel my score? Don't want to have bad numbers on my future law school application.

Thanks.

Powerscore bibles are great to help you get a good understanding of fundamentals. If you don't think you got much learning done from the course, I think it would be a waste of time to take it again, even if it's free....you're better off using that time to browse through these forums and look for how to better study.

No idea where your PT average is since you didn't mention it. If it's a bit above where you want it to be, then by all means take the test in June, but judging from your thread title, I don't think this is the case. You should wait until October.

Get a bunch of Preptests if you already haven't too btw.

Young Marino

Postby Young Marino » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:31 pm

Secondly,

Thanks.

I also took a Kaplan course and honestly, it was down right terrible. The best thing about the course is all the resources they give you like access to every single lsat, the countless questions and explanations spanned over 8 books and real timed conditions when taking a pt. However, you HAVE to do the work outside of class to improve your score. The instruction is shit. I brought my score up almost 15 points just doing self study and taking pt after pt. I would definitely suggest taking it again so you can keep the access to the pt's but knowing what I know now, I wouldn't even bother going to class. Just retake in October and buy the powerscore bibles

SDtoDavisTo...

Postby SDtoDavisTo... » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:35 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Not improving due to a Kaplan course means nothing. They suck; don't retake it. Buy the bibles and other guides recommended on these forums (use the search forum to find recommended books, there are tons of threads with recommendations and reviews).

It's too late to reschedule, but you can withdraw your registration for June; the only consequence will be losing the money you paid to register. YOU SHOULD DEFINITELY DO THIS AND TAKE IT IN OCTOBER; DO NOT TAKE IT IN JUNE. (I hope the caps and bold make the strength of this recommendation clear!)

UNDERSTOOD. The money is trivial in the bigger picture of the overall cost of law school. I just want the best results and I know that's not going to happen this June.

SDtoDavisTo...

Postby SDtoDavisTo... » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:36 pm

Bajam wrote:

Secondly,

Thanks.

Powerscore bibles are great to help you get a good understanding of fundamentals. If you don't think you got much learning done from the course, I think it would be a waste of time to take it again, even if it's free....you're better off using that time to browse through these forums and look for how to better study.

No idea where your PT average is since you didn't mention it. If it's a bit above where you want it to be, then by all means take the test in June, but judging from your thread title, I don't think this is the case. You should wait until October.

My decision to not post PT averages is a clear indicator of how I feel about my performance. I'm going to buy the bibles.

SDtoDavisTo...

Postby SDtoDavisTo... » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:41 pm

ALeal90 wrote:

Secondly,

Thanks.

I also took a Kaplan course and honestly, it was down right terrible. The best thing about the course is all the resources they give you like access to every single lsat, the countless questions and explanations spanned over 8 books and real timed conditions when taking a pt. However, you HAVE to do the work outside of class to improve your score. The instruction is shit. I brought my score up almost 15 points just doing self study and taking pt after pt. I would definitely suggest taking it again so you can keep the access to the pt's but knowing what I know now, I wouldn't even bother going to class. Just retake in October and buy the powerscore bibles

I think my instructor is a genius and while I'm in the class (while being primed) I feel that I get EVERYTHING. So, I have this overwhelming sense of confidence. Under test conditions however, I end up resorting back to old techniques of 10 weeks ago. I definitely need more work outside of the class.

Contrary to the Kaplan Method, I find everyone advising that I take PT after PT after PT.. How often are we talking here? I will heed your advice, presumably a 15 point improvement would significantly increase my chances at securing a spot at a decent law school.

Young Marino

Postby Young Marino » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:42 pm

SDtoDavisTo... wrote:
Bajam wrote:

Secondly,

Thanks.

My decision to not post PT averages is a clear indicator of how I feel about my performance. I'm going to buy the bibles.

Dude seriously, call kaplan and tell them you want to enroll in another class. Once you are "enrolled" you keep access to all those practice tests. You don't have to go to that waste of time of a class but I would make sure I hold on those exams. They give you EVERY lsat ever released up to the December 2012 test.

Young Marino

Postby Young Marino » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:46 pm

SDtoDavisTo... wrote:
ALeal90 wrote:

Secondly,

Thanks.

I think my instructor is a genius and while I'm in the class (while being primed) I feel that I get EVERYTHING. So, I have this overwhelming sense of confidence. Under test conditions however, I end up resorting back to old techniques of 10 weeks ago. I definitely need more work outside of the class.

Contrary to the Kaplan Method, I find everyone advising that I take PT after PT after PT.. How often are we talking here? I will heed your advice, presumably a 15 point improvement would significantly increase my chances at securing a spot at a decent law school.

I usually take one pt a week but i am constantly drilling and i do at least one timed section every other day. But, What works for me may not work for you. I've seen TLSers post that taking 3 to 4 pts a week is sufficient. That doesn't work for me as I get burnt out rather easily. But hey, you have until October so you have time to figure out what works for you

bombaysippin

Postby bombaysippin » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:47 pm

SDtoDavisTo... wrote:
ALeal90 wrote:

Secondly,

Thanks.

Don't be taking PT after PT if you're not understanding the basics well enough. You'd be wasting valuable material.

When you're comfortable with all the question types and knowing how to approach everything is when you should be taking PTs under timed conditions.

You can break some PTs into sections and drill if you'd like, but you can also get questions by type from Cambridge/manhattan for drilling too (most convenient in my opinion rather than you sorting through questions by yourself). You can also take a PT and do it untimed to see how well you understand everything and to see where your biggest weaknesses are or where you need to solidify your understanding of certain questions.

Then when you finally reach a point where you understand everything you can be taking like 1-3 PTs timed a week. Make sure you're absolutely reviewing the PTs afterwards when they are fresh in your mind. Reviewing your mistakes is the key and even questions you got right, but were unsure about. Look up the blind review method by 7sage on google to find out more about that. Reviewing is as important, if not more important than just taking PTs timed.

SDtoDavisTo...

Postby SDtoDavisTo... » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:52 pm

ALeal90 wrote:
SDtoDavisTo... wrote:
Bajam wrote:

Secondly,

Thanks.

Dude seriously, call kaplan and tell them you want to enroll in another class. Once you are "enrolled" you keep access to all those practice tests. You don't have to go to that waste of time of a class but I would make sure I hold on those exams. They give you EVERY lsat ever released up to the December 2012 test.

Definitely doing that - my $1500 bucks will not be in vain!

SDtoDavisTo...

Postby SDtoDavisTo... » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:54 pm

Bajam wrote:
SDtoDavisTo... wrote:
ALeal90 wrote:

Secondly,

Thanks.

Don't be taking PT after PT if you're not understanding the basics well enough. You'd be wasting valuable material.

When you're comfortable with all the question types and knowing how to approach everything is when you should be taking PTs under timed conditions.

You can break some PTs into sections and drill if you'd like, but you can also get questions by type from Cambridge/manhattan for drilling too (most convenient in my opinion rather than you sorting through questions by yourself). You can also take a PT and do it untimed to see how well you understand everything and to see where your biggest weaknesses are or where you need to solidify your understanding of certain questions.

Then when you finally reach a point where you understand everything you can be taking like 1-3 PTs timed a week. Make sure you're absolutely reviewing the PTs afterwards when they are fresh in your mind. Reviewing your mistakes is the key and even questions you got right, but were unsure about. Look up the blind review method by 7sage on google to find out more about that. Reviewing is as important, if not more important than just taking PTs timed.

Thanks alot, I was pretty discouraged after my results this afternoon on my most recent proctored Practice Test, definitely didn't improve.

This is helpful in refocusing my efforts and viewing my performance as starting point rather than an ending point.

SDtoDavisTo...

Postby SDtoDavisTo... » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:55 pm

ALeal90 wrote:
SDtoDavisTo... wrote:
ALeal90 wrote:

Secondly,

Thanks.

I usually take one pt a week but i am constantly drilling and i do at least one timed section every other day. But, What works for me may not work for you. I've seen TLSers post that taking 3 to 4 pts a week is sufficient. That doesn't work for me as I get burnt out rather easily. But hey, you have until October so you have time to figure out what works for you

Sounds good, time to reassess, and learn what works.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:01 pm

Definitely call and register even if you don't go, they will send you a whole new set of books free, a lot of good material to work with..sections/tests

SDtoDavisTo...

Postby SDtoDavisTo... » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:03 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:Definitely call and register even if you don't go, they will send you a whole new set of books free, a lot of good material to work with..sections/tests

Will do!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”