Bubble after each question

tyler90az

Bubble after each question

Postby tyler90az » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:37 pm

It takes more time to cross out wrong ones or circle the right one. Drawing a circle or a line in themselves takes longer then a bubble. I get done five minutes earlier bubbling after each question.

bombaysippin

Re: Bubble after each question

Postby bombaysippin » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:48 pm

tyler90az wrote:It takes more time to cross out wrong ones or circle the right one. Drawing a circle or a line in themselves takes longer then a bubble. I get done five minutes earlier bubbling after each question.

Uhh is there supposed to be a question or is this a statement...

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:50 pm

tyler90az wrote:It takes more time to cross out wrong ones or circle the right one. Drawing a circle or a line in themselves takes longer then a bubble. I get done five minutes earlier bubbling after each question.

You're saying that people shouldn't cross off wrong answers in their test booklet? This is really, truly terrible advice.

westjr

Postby westjr » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:50 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:

You're saying that people shouldn't cross off wrong answers in their test booklet? This is really, truly terrible advice.

+1

tyler90az

Postby tyler90az » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:00 pm

Your inference skills are terrible. :wink: Just joking.

I do not think you need to cross off all the wrong answers in the test booklet. If you are down to two no need to cross off the wrong one. That crossing off takes more time then it would be to simply bubble on the answer sheet.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:27 pm

westjr wrote:

+1

Also don't forget test day your desk may be very small. Constantly shuffling between answer and question booklets each question will certainly slow you down.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:54 pm

To cut down how much time it takes to move my pencil left and right and all around, I simply take my answer sheet and push it under my pencil and slide my sheet left and right until the bubble is filled.
:mrgreen:

tyler90az

Postby tyler90az » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:55 pm

Br3v wrote:
westjr wrote:

+1

Also don't forget test day your desk may be very small. Constantly shuffling between answer and question booklets each question will certainly slow you down.

Thank you

bombaysippin

Postby bombaysippin » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:00 pm

Micdiddy wrote:To cut down how much time it takes to move my pencil left and right and all around, I simply take my answer sheet and push it under my pencil and slide my sheet left and right until the bubble is filled.
:mrgreen:

Yo....I thought I was the only one.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:13 pm

LOL This is possibly the worst advice I've read on TLS.

tyler90az

Postby tyler90az » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:20 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:LOL This is possibly the worst advice I've read on TLS.

At least it is not a certainty

sublime

Postby sublime » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:37 pm

totoro

Postby totoro » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:54 pm

I agree. this is not the best advice! I can see how this could be dangerous for some people..... what you want to come back to a question that stumped you earlier. So, if you do that, and you didn't mark up your test booklet at all, you basically have to start afresh. If you mark up your book, you don't have to return to answers you know are definitely wrong. Also, if you marked two answer choices that you narrowed it down to, you can just compare those. Furthermore like some people said... switching between the bubble sheet and the test booklet so often actually wastes time and probably promotes error (LSAT desks tend to be very small)

tyler90az

Postby tyler90az » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:50 pm

sublime wrote:
tyler90az wrote:
Clearlynotstefan wrote:LOL This is possibly the worst advice I've read on TLS.

At least it is not a certainty

Even being in consideration is certainly an accomplishment.

How can it be so certain without providing evidence?

jselson

Postby jselson » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:55 pm

To save myself the most time possible, I purchased my own scantran grading machine during my prep and tested a number of different possibilities of filling in the circle so that I could find the most efficient way. I learned that I only needed to fill in up to a millimeter away from the edge of the circle all around. Saved me about a second for each question, which have me total about 30 additional seconds - enough time to answer a short question! - on the test.

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:31 pm

tyler90az wrote:

I do not think you need to cross off all the wrong answers in the test booklet. If you are down to two no need to cross off the wrong one. That crossing off takes more time then it would be to simply bubble on the answer sheet.

My inference skills would be terrible if your first post was coherent and contained adequate information.

This advice is still awful. The potential for misbubbles is increased (way harder to do a last-minute bubble check) and the inability to quickly see how you felt about each answer (and what you ultimately decided to go with) will majorly slow you down when you're going back through the section with time left.

meegee

Postby meegee » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:11 pm

WARNING: This post has nothing to do with crossing out answer choices on the test.

Not exactly relevant to OP's original thought but I read somewhere (I can't remember who said, or where I saw it) recommending to bubble after each question. They said that while you do shave some time off bubbling after each section, or page, the time shaved off is so minimal, and the risk of mis-bubbling is so great, it's just not worth it.

The dude (or dudette) threw in some numbers in his/her analysis as well, making it seem even more "legit."

After all, the only timed saved is the back and forth of your pencil between the test and the answer sheet. You still use the same amount of time bubbling. You still use the same amount of time looking at the answer you got on the test, and then filling it in. It might even be possible that bubbling after each section or page takes longer for this "look at test for correct answer choice and then fill in answer sheet" stage in comparison to bubbling after each question. If you're bubbling after each question, there's a good chance you remember the answer choice you just determined, thereby skipping the "look at test for correct answer and then fill in the answer sheet" step. Plus, I think there's the possibility that, if you're bubbling after a huge section, you might get lost along the way: "was I at question 18 or 19? Let me double check. Ok, it's question 19."

Anyway, I personally feel bubbling after each question is better. Even if it's just for the fact that if you make a mistake (bubble in the wrong blank), it's easier to catch, and you're more likely to catch that mistake early on than bubbling a whole section and then realizing you just bubbled in 25 when there are only a total of 24 questions.

tyler90az

Postby tyler90az » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:50 pm

tyler90az wrote:

My inference skills would be terrible if your first post was coherent and contained adequate information.

This advice is still awful. The potential for misbubbles is increased (way harder to do a last-minute bubble check) and the inability to quickly see how you felt about each answer (and what you ultimately decided to go with) will majorly slow you down when you're going back through the section with time left.

We are talking about something that is subjective. I think the best advice would be for everyone to try all methods out. Then what works best is the one they should use.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:23 am

Ordinarily that's true, but this is really objectively bad advice you've posted, for once I'd actually recommend that no one ever try this.

Clyde Frog

Postby Clyde Frog » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:05 am

Personally I just close the test booklet, since it's really not important, then I look for flaws in the bubbles.

kiyoku

Postby kiyoku » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:58 am

I think the reason why people suggest that you bubble chunks at a time has more to do with the fact that:

1) Moving your eyes from test sheets to scantron can really disturb the flow of thought.

2) The scantron is really small and clustered. There's time wasted in aiming for the small letter and making sure that your bubbling doesn't go outside of the answer option. If you bubble answers in every single time separately, you'd have to go through the waste of this "aiming lag," all the time, for 100 questions.

On the other hand, this lag doesn't quite exist when you do chunks of bubbling at a time. If you just answered Q1, your eyes are very close to Q2, so bubbling and aiming for the next answer right away (as opposed to going back to your Question sheet to work on the next question) is actually much faster. Also, it's a matter of how our perception works. I'm quite sure that tending to smaller details is easier while in the mode of already having been tending to them, as opposed to having to tend to switch between large details and tiny details.

Circling an answer on the test sheet is not considered a small detail for me. Sometimes I circle it so fast that I miss the letter by a bit, but it's obvious that I chose, say, "a". Since I'm a human who can look at that and know that it's supposed to be an "a". But a scantron won't accept ambiguous situations. Because you're scared of that.. you clearly will waste time aiming to answer 1 question at a time switching your eyes back and forth from question sheet to scantron sheet.

Hope I made sense.

kiyoku

Postby kiyoku » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:07 am

Clyde Frog wrote:Personally I just close the test booklet, since it's really not important, then I look for flaws in the bubbles.

loll

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”