PT 64 Sec. 3 Q3 - don't know why C is the answer and not A Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Adinga

New

PT 64 Sec. 3 Q3 - don't know why C is the answer and not A

Post by Adinga » Fri May 31, 2013 5:36 pm

Can some one please explain this for me? Thanks.

objection_your_honor

Silver

Re: PT 64 Sec. 3 Q3 - don't know why C is the answer and not A

Post by objection_your_honor » Fri May 31, 2013 5:44 pm

We are told nothing about younger vs. older whales. (A) is out of scope and thus wrong because we can't make any inference about who can better tolerate the noises.

However, we do know that engine noises can damage hearing. Given also that whales communicate using acoustic frequencies, (C) is a valid inference.

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Fri May 31, 2013 5:45 pm

There's nothing in the passage about the difference in killer whales' tolerance of hearing with respect to age so you can't say younger ones would be able to tolerate engine noise better. C logically completes the passage; the argument is about killer whales and how engine noise can damage their hearing - if we add C to the last part it fits nicely with the premise supporting C.

Adinga

New

Post by Adinga » Fri May 31, 2013 6:22 pm

Thank you for your replies but I think something's wrong. The questions appear to be different. My question three speaks nothing of "whales". Instead, it's a disagree question which speaks of "family declining". It's between Trisha and Jerod. I may be referring to the wrong answer key for my answers. Golly! Good thing I just started working on this test. Here's the question:

Trisha: Today's family is declining in its ability to carry out its functions of child-rearing and providing stability for adult life. There must be a return to the traditional values of commitment and responsibility.

Jerod: We ought to leave what is good enough alone. Contemporary families may be less stable than traditionally, but most people do not find that to be bad. Contemporary criticisms of the family are overblown and destructive.

Trisha and Jerod disagree over whether the institution of the family is

(A) adequate as is (this was my answer, but according to the answer key I was using it said (C) is the answer)

(B) changing over time

(C) valued by most people

(D) not going to survive

(E) no longer traditional

If anyone knows the answerkey to this question set please provide for me. Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”