Getting worse

alexrodriguez

Getting worse

Postby alexrodriguez » Fri May 31, 2013 2:35 pm

Without any studying and doing a non-timed logical reasoning section I had 10-12 incorrect.

I recently just finished the logical reasoning bible and did another non-timed logical reasoning section thinking I would score much better. I had -14. Kind of a huge bummer considering I just went through 500 pages of practicing.

Maybe it was a fluke and I psyched myself out, but I doubt it.

I have the Manhattan series and hopefully that will be more beneficial.

I'm kind of pissed off really. -14 and I wasn't being timed. I can't even imagine how I'd do timed. How the fuck am I going to get a 170+

francesfarmer

Re: Getting worse

Postby francesfarmer » Fri May 31, 2013 2:41 pm

How long did you take going through the LRB? Don't put too much pressure on yourself or burn yourself out. Some days you will do shitty on PTs. That is a fact. Assuming you are taking the LSAT in October, you have tons of time to improve.

alexrodriguez

Postby alexrodriguez » Fri May 31, 2013 2:43 pm

I'm taking it in June of 2014. I'm stationed overseas right now. I probably did the whole book in two or three weeks? I think?

crestor

Postby crestor » Fri May 31, 2013 2:46 pm

Are you reading stem or stimulus first? I know PS advocates stim first but stem IMO is much more effective. This is coming from a person who did stim first for over a month, struggled retreading over and over, and has made improvements doing stem first.

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Fri May 31, 2013 2:48 pm

I'd recommend drilling a lot, if you haven't yet. This stuff is so learnable, but only if you drill it.. You just learned a new method so are approaching the questions differently and that takes time, so I wouldn't worry at all! Before going through Manhattan I would try to figure out what types of problems are the weakest for you (are you missing all strengthen, or parallel, or flaw questions, etc.)

objection_your_honor

Postby objection_your_honor » Fri May 31, 2013 2:57 pm

When you do Manhattan, apply what you have learned in each chapter to questions of that type only, before moving on. Don't move on to the next chapter until you feel comfortable with questions of the type covered in the previous chapter.

This will establish stronger fundamentals than just blasting through the book and then taking full sections.

sublime

Postby sublime » Fri May 31, 2013 5:49 pm

alexrodriguez

Postby alexrodriguez » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:27 pm

I appreciate the advice, people. I've decided to step away from it all for a weekend. I've been nonstop for the last month. I'm a bit inebriated at the moment and I'm going to keep pushing through come Monday.

I'm happy to be here writing to you all with precision despite my current state of mind, but If Tucker Max can teach the LSAT... I sure as hell can score brilliantly.

To all those who have mastered this test, I admire you. To all those in study mode, lets get into Harvard...

Peace out mother fuckers.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:32 am

wtrcoins3 wrote:I'd recommend drilling a lot, if you haven't yet. This stuff is so learnable, but only if you drill it.. You just learned a new method so are approaching the questions differently and that takes time, so I wouldn't worry at all! Before going through Manhattan I would try to figure out what types of problems are the weakest for you (are you missing all strengthen, or parallel, or flaw questions, etc.)

This - after learning the process, you:
1) Realize when things are going poorly, thus making you do worse
2) Slow down to think of the process, thus making you run out of time.

You need to practice with the new methods you've learned enough that on the actual test, with random question types and a time limit, you don't have to think about the methods because they're just second nature.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”