Conditional Q

lovejopd

Conditional Q

Postby lovejopd » Thu May 30, 2013 8:46 pm

Hello,

How can I correctly diagram this sentence?

A then B unless C
--> Baterial species will develop resistance unless antibiotics kill all species
(Q. from Prep 62 Sec 4, Q 11.)

Is it
~C+A --> B
or
~C-->(A-->B)

Thx! :D

Daily_Double

Re: Conditional Q

Postby Daily_Double » Thu May 30, 2013 8:49 pm

(A --> ~B) ---> C

~C ---(A ---> B)

But it's really easier than that, I wouldn't even diagram it. It breaks down to if batteries don't do this then kill everything. If not kill everything, then batteries do this. This is from memory so I'm not quoting it precisely.

objection_your_honor

Postby objection_your_honor » Thu May 30, 2013 8:58 pm

You really only need two terms for this question.

Species develops greater resistance --> antibiotics eliminate species

So given that there is no antibiotic out there strong enough to eliminate the species, we know per the contrapositive that the species will develop a greater resistance against any antibiotic used against it.

lovejopd

Postby lovejopd » Thu May 30, 2013 11:01 pm

Oh...Thank you...

How would you diagram the first sentence of Prep 62, Section 4 Q. 18 :?: I am always confused by this structure of sentence...
If A, Not B unless C

Should it be....

Sentient beings(A) ---> (Determine(B) --> as intelligent as humans(C))

OR

~as intelligent as humans(~C) --> (Sentient beings(A) --> ~ Determine(~B))

Plz...Help :cry:
Last edited by lovejopd on Thu May 30, 2013 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mvonh001

Postby mvonh001 » Thu May 30, 2013 11:03 pm

Why do you put parentheses around the variables? (A+B)-->C would mean what as compared to
A+B-->C

lovejopd

Postby lovejopd » Thu May 30, 2013 11:07 pm

mvonh001 wrote:Why do you put parentheses around the variables? (A+B)-->C would mean what as compared to
A+B-->C

Because I am not sure how 'unless' plays a role in a setence....

mvonh001

Postby mvonh001 » Thu May 30, 2013 11:09 pm

I wasnt asking you specifically with regards to the example you posted. I was referring to the general act of putting parentheses around variables in an argument.

objection_your_honor

Postby objection_your_honor » Fri May 31, 2013 11:27 am

lovejopd wrote:Oh...Thank you...

How would you diagram the first sentence of Prep 62, Section 4 Q. 18 :?: I am always confused by this structure of sentence...
If A, Not B unless C

Should it be....

Sentient beings(A) ---> (Determine(B) --> as intelligent as humans(C))

OR

~as intelligent as humans(~C) --> (Sentient beings(A) --> ~ Determine(~B))

Plz...Help :cry:

Revisit Powerscore's Logical Reasoning Bible and read the section on what they call the "unless equation." There should be some drills with it. Generally, whatever comes before "unless" is the negated sufficient condition, and whatever comes after "unless" is the necessary condition.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Fri May 31, 2013 12:08 pm

lovejopd wrote:Oh...Thank you...

How would you diagram the first sentence of Prep 62, Section 4 Q. 18 :?

For this one, I wouldn't worry about the sentient beings in the diagram - they're a predicate for the entire argument to work. If there aren't sentient beings, then the whole argument is pointless. That first "If there are..." is just there to set up that we're talking about a world where we assume they exist.

But, were I to diagram it, I would do:
SBPOSS AND ~AIHumans -> ~Determine

You could also do:
SB -> (~AIHumans -> ~Determine)
The parentheses here means that the parenthetical conditional is just the necessary condition; and it's not transitive. Without the parentheses, it would mean "If there are aliens, then they are not as intelligent as humans, and then we can't determine they exist." With the parentheses, it means if there are aliens, then them not being as intelligent as humans is sufficient to tell me we can't determine their existence. Subtle difference.

In both cases, however, the argument revolves around the assumption that aliens exist, because otherwise there's no point to talking about how we're going to find them. So I wouldn't even worry about it, and just take "If aliens exist..." as background.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”