June
29%
October
71%

Total votes: 31

christam

Getting 170, but want a 175+ in June.

Postby christam » Wed May 29, 2013 1:23 am

Scheduled for June, first try. I am averaging about 170 but in semi-lax testing conditions.

Been studying for about 3-4 weeks. Mostly LG but I'm about to start hitting LR hard. I haven't taken a PT in about 1.5 weeks. I will update with this weeks PT score later.

I feel like I could tighten up my LR scores to get 175+ but I'm not sure if that I can do it in 12 days.

Getting -2 LG, -2 RC, -6 LR (combined) on average.

The deadline for refunds is passed, how do I cancel before I take the test, and should I? I'm chill with losing the money.

Also, how do I get those last few in each section consistently?

URM, 3.4, just for background.

Thanks!

jselson

Re: Getting 170, but want a 175+ in June.

Postby jselson » Wed May 29, 2013 2:27 am

After my diagnostic (166) and drilling logic games for about two weeks, I never scored below 170 again. It took me 2 months after that to consistently hit 174+ (avg 176) and to feel confident enough to know I'd really have to make a big mistake to drop below that. In sum, October. Perfect your game.

dkb17xzx

Postby dkb17xzx » Wed May 29, 2013 2:32 am

christam wrote:semi-lax testing conditions.

Been studying for about 3-4 weeks.

Mostly LG

I haven't taken a PT in about 1.5 weeks.

I'm not sure if that I can do it in 12 days.

I'm chill with losing the money.

Wait till October

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Wed May 29, 2013 2:36 am

1) What type of URM?
2) Don't ever take tests under lax conditions, you're cheating yourself and I know a great number of people who really got disappointed doing this
3) See where you're at with real tests under real conditions, but Oct is almost certainly the right answer.

jselson

Postby jselson » Wed May 29, 2013 2:48 am

Clearlynotstefan wrote:2) Don't ever take tests under lax conditions, you're cheating yourself

+1

christam

Postby christam » Wed May 29, 2013 3:23 pm

First, I would like to say thanks for the responses. How would I go about cancelling June if I don't feel up to it?

Clearlynotstefan wrote:1) What type of URM?
2) Don't ever take tests under lax conditions

I'm Mexican American (wish I was like half black, half native american haha)

As far as lax conditions, I usually just get up to refill my glass of water when I'm thirsty without stopping the timer, and I don't stop between sections, at all.

Plus, I do 7 section tests. It's kinda fun to marathon them like that. Although some of my best scores come in the later sections -___-

I scheduled myself for a PT at the library tomorrow at 1pm under strict test conditions so I will definitely keep you guys updated.

One thing I hope you guys can help with real quick, on test day, is the answer sheet free floating or is it in a fixed place in the booklet? Thanks!

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Wed May 29, 2013 3:46 pm

christam wrote:First, I would like to say thanks for the responses. How would I go about cancelling June if I don't feel up to it?

Clearlynotstefan wrote:1) What type of URM?
2) Don't ever take tests under lax conditions

I'm Mexican American (wish I was like half black, half native american haha)

As far as lax conditions, I usually just get up to refill my glass of water when I'm thirsty without stopping the timer, and I don't stop between sections, at all.

Plus, I do 7 section tests. It's kinda fun to marathon them like that. Although some of my best scores come in the later sections -___-

I scheduled myself for a PT at the library tomorrow at 1pm under strict test conditions so I will definitely keep you guys updated.

One thing I hope you guys can help with real quick, on test day, is the answer sheet free floating or is it in a fixed place in the booklet? Thanks!

Free floating, and if you do want to cancel, you can do so from your account at LSAC.org. See how you do tomorrow first.

christam

Postby christam » Thu May 30, 2013 7:33 pm

I just got back from taking today's PT68. Got 86 raw which is a 168.

RC -2
LR -8
LG -4

Haven't reviewed it yet but I am pretty disappointed. Although if I can tighten up my LR score in the next few days (I've only made it through assumption and flaw in Manhattan), I think I can break 170 fairly regularly.

I simply ran out of time on LG and had to start making educated guesses on the last game, went 2/5 on my last game.

It is starting to look like a better and better idea to shoot for October but I really don't want to study this stuff for another 3 months.

I just want UCLA with as much money as possible! haha

sublime

Postby sublime » Thu May 30, 2013 7:48 pm

Dog

Postby Dog » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:44 am

I'd say wait till October, you're looking short of your goal as is stands. I have gotten 175+ on 6 out of my last 10 practice tests (they range from 171 to 178), and even I've been thinking maybe I should've waited until October because I seem to be improving still. My goal is 174, I really hope I can pull it test day haha. I give myself a 50-50 shot.

Whatever you decide best of luck, you can always retake/cancel. I'm trying to leave that in the back of my head so I don't get too worked up during the real thing.

And I feel you on not wanting to study another three months. I really wish I could take it in July or something. October is just too far away, I need to get a try in now.

chadbrochill

Postby chadbrochill » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:44 pm

What do you define lax conditions as? I don't think these work out so much.

I voted October.

christam

Postby christam » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:02 pm

chadbrochill wrote:What do you define lax conditions as? I don't think these work out so much.

Thanks for the vote! When I was taking lax PTs, I was just refilling my glass of water whenever I wanted, without stopping time.

Since I started more strict conditions, I got a 174 and a 172 on my last two PTs with -0 on the 5th section (LG) both times so I feel much more confident about taking it in June.

However, my biggest issue right now is making sure I can do it consistently so I'll see over the next few tests.

Do you guys have any advice, or can point me in the right direction, for RC? (I know, I am about to use the search function! :P) I can get anywhere from -0 to -5 on an RC section. Usually all from the same passage that just didn't click for me. I haven't studied a single word for RC since it was never the priority but now it is becoming the biggest hurdle right now.

Thanks!

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:05 am

christam wrote:
chadbrochill wrote:What do you define lax conditions as? I don't think these work out so much.

Thanks for the vote! When I was taking lax PTs, I was just refilling my glass of water whenever I wanted, without stopping time.

Since I started more strict conditions, I got a 174 and a 172 on my last two PTs with -0 on the 5th section (LG) both times so I feel much more confident about taking it in June.

However, my biggest issue right now is making sure I can do it consistently so I'll see over the next few tests.

Do you guys have any advice, or can point me in the right direction, for RC? (I know, I am about to use the search function! :P) I can get anywhere from -0 to -5 on an RC section. Usually all from the same passage that just didn't click for me. I haven't studied a single word for RC since it was never the priority but now it is becoming the biggest hurdle right now.

Thanks!

Not studying a whole section is kinda dumb when you're shooting for an elite score. Little late now, I'd say take June and see what happens, retake Oct if need be.Good luck!

christam

Postby christam » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:55 am

Clearlynotstefan wrote:Not studying a whole section is kinda dumb when you're shooting for an elite score. Little late now, I'd say take June and see what happens, retake Oct if need be.Good luck!

No, I definitely agree with you that not studying RC is not ideal but I think I prioritized my studying well for the amount of time I had.

What I am mostly looking for is a general rundown of RC. I noticed a dramatic improvement in LR just from reading the intro to LR and then I got LR down pretty well since finishing the book.

I only have the LGBible and Manhattan LR so I literally have no RC material. Where do you think I could get a general rundown of RC like I did for LR? (Without buying Manhattan RC, of course)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”