Logic Games Suddenly an Issue

anubis1911

Logic Games Suddenly an Issue

Postby anubis1911 » Tue May 28, 2013 8:13 pm

Hey all, I have been studying for 6 months for the LSAT and normally get -0 on LG. At most I will get -3. Around last week, I took a practice test and completely froze and ran out of time. Since then, I cannot for the life of me complete a section without freezing and getting more wrong. I am running out of time and getting -5 to -7. What the Hell is going on?????

Micdiddy

Re: Logic Games Suddenly an Issue

Postby Micdiddy » Tue May 28, 2013 8:22 pm

anubis1911 wrote:Hey all, I have been studying for 6 months for the LSAT and normally get -0 on LG. At most I will get -3. Around last week, I took a practice test and completely froze and ran out of time. Since then, I cannot for the life of me complete a section without freezing and getting more wrong. I am running out of time and getting -5 to -7. What the Hell is going on?????

Sounds like you are psyching yourself out more than anything. Take a day off, go straight back to fundamentals and re-affirm your basic approach to the section. Maybe do some old games you already dominated to get you back in rhythm, then proceed as usual.

CardozoLaw09

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Tue May 28, 2013 8:23 pm

Micdiddy wrote:
anubis1911 wrote:Hey all, I have been studying for 6 months for the LSAT and normally get -0 on LG. At most I will get -3. Around last week, I took a practice test and completely froze and ran out of time. Since then, I cannot for the life of me complete a section without freezing and getting more wrong. I am running out of time and getting -5 to -7. What the Hell is going on?????

Sounds like you are psyching yourself out more than anything. Take a day off, go straight back to fundamentals and re-affirm your basic approach to the section. Maybe do some old games you already dominated to get you back in rhythm, then proceed as usual.

+1

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Tue May 28, 2013 8:35 pm

Micdiddy wrote:

^this

OP, you are just stressing out because the test is getting close. Calm yourself down and get back into the routine. Nothing has changed except your state of mind, LGs are still the same things as before and the same methods you used before to solve them work now too, just use them same as before when you weren't freaking out.

Just keep your mind focused on the basics and the tasks at hand. If a game looks like a good candidate to draw templates/frames/scenarios, then draw them out and proceed to applying rules. If there appears to be some numeric distribution stuff going on with the variables or groups or whatever, don't panic, just evaluate the possibilities using the rules, write out the numerical distribution possibilities, proceed to next step of the game, etc. Make sure you put each game together one piece at a time as you first build the set-up and look for deductions, looking at each rule/piece of the game individually/piece by piece in small bite sized pieces before expecting to 'see' the full big picture set-up which is the end result of the construction process.

Many people freak out on games while under pressure because they expect the whole set-up and big deductions to suddenly and magically materialize in their head to draw on the page right after first reading all the rules and parameters and panic when it doesn't just magically click without having had to build it one piece at a time.
Just focus on the small pieces at first one at a time and then put them together and evaluate them in context with each other to get to seeing the big picture.

Anytime you freeze or start to freak out/panic, just re-group by simply reviewing in your mind the basic rules and parameters of the game to get your mind back into it.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”