Velocity + 7sage

15chocolate

Velocity + 7sage

Postby 15chocolate » Tue May 28, 2013 6:45 pm

Hi,
I wonder whether those who take the velocity class also use the 7sage videos?
I heard velocity only has game explanations for after PT30 or so and I believe velocity and 7sage have different methods to solve the games, so wonder how those people study for early PTs.
Thank you.

Clearly

Re: Velocity + 7sage

Postby Clearly » Wed May 29, 2013 4:35 am

15chocolate wrote:Hi,
I wonder whether those who take the velocity class also use the 7sage videos?
I heard velocity only has game explanations for after PT30 or so and I believe velocity and 7sage have different methods to solve the games, so wonder how those people study for early PTs.
Thank you.

Velocity covers everything after 2000, thats 13 years of tests, and it's plenty. Having used both extensively, my opinion is Velocity blows 7sage out of the water in terms of actual efficient LG strategy. Use the earlier games to practice on, you don't need Dave to do every single game.

Balthy

Postby Balthy » Wed May 29, 2013 7:04 am

I use both. I wouldn't say Velocity blows 7sage out of the water. Velocity saves you lots of time by showing how to most effectively use prior work. However, when understanding of some complex limitation/possibility is what you need to quickly get an answer to a Q, Dave often endorses "brute force" work over fully understanding the logic. On the other hand, 7sage doesn't use prior work very effectively, but (at least this is my impression) opts to quickly determine some complex limitation/possibility before having to do brute force work. So I think they are both more efficient than each other at different aspects of games. Overall, though, where Dave is more efficient seems to pay off more than where 7sage is more efficient. This might be because the difference I mentioned only applies to difficult Qs, as Dave obviously sees and utilizes limitations/possibilities when they are obvious.

Anyway, I've sort of strayed away from your question! I use both and I recommend doing so whenever you feel the need. 7sage tends to explain the thought process more thoroughly, and I think they have many more videos. For a given game, I first look for the Velocity vid, and then turn to 7sage or LSATBlog if there is no Velocity vid or if Dave didn't explain something as well as I would have liked (he sometimes just omits some questions from the video). If a game is particularly challenging, I watch videos from Velocity, 7sage, and LSATBlog (LSATblog also tends to explain the reasoning very thoroughly). And don't worry about the use of different methods; you'll pick up most of the differences easily and see straight to the reasoning, so the vids will be just as helpful as if they were all using the same methods (you should, however, take some time to figure out which methods you want to use).

Edit:

I thought about your questions some more, and you know, I think I'm not giving Velocity enough credit. Though Dave does seem to endorse plugging answer choices in and figuring it out through more work in many cases where other prep companies may not, he still always sees the logical limits/possibilities that one would reasonably expect someone to see. I think Dave's choice of whether to go the theory method vs. the pluggin in/brute force method very closely resembles what the typical smart LSAT taker should be reasonably expected to do. Plus, he usually explains his rationale pretty well.
Last edited by Balthy on Wed May 29, 2013 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

15chocolate

Postby 15chocolate » Wed May 29, 2013 8:41 am

superdingle2000 wrote:I use both. I wouldn't say Velocity blows 7sage out of the water. Velocity saves you lots of time by showing how to most effectively use prior work. However, when understanding of some complex limitation/possibility is what you need to quickly get an answer to a Q, Dave often endorses "brute force" work over fully understanding the logic. On the other hand, 7sage doesn't use prior work very effectively, but (at least this is my impression) opts to quickly determine some complex limitation/possibility before having to do brute force work. So I think they are both more efficient than each other at different aspects of games. Overall, though, where Dave is more efficient seems to pay off more than where 7sage is more efficient. This might be because the difference I mentioned only applies to difficult Qs, as Dave obviously sees and utilizes limitations/possibilities when they are obvious.

Anyway, I've sort of strayed away from your question! I use both and I recommend doing so whenever you feel the need. 7sage tends to explain the thought process more thoroughly, and I think they have many more videos. For a given game, I first look for the Velocity vid, and then turn to 7sage or LSATBlog if there is no Velocity vid or if Dave didn't explain something as well as I would have liked (he sometimes just omits some questions from the video). If a game is particularly challenging, I watch videos from Velocity, 7sage, and LSATBlog (LSATblog also tends to explain the reasoning very thoroughly). And don't worry about the use of different methods; you'll pick up most of the differences easily and see straight to the reasoning, so the vids will be just as helpful as if they were all using the same methods (you should, however, take some time to figure out which methods you want to use).

Hi, thanks for your response!
I have watched velocity's free game vids, and felt sometimes they are using similar charts as 7sages, but sometimes very different...7sage is more like the Lbibles or mlsat I think.
Are their other explanations for games aft 2000 the same/similar as the free ones (velocity)?
Also, what do you mean "brute force works?" Do you mean trial and error? I hate those, so if they teach how to avoid them and use previous works for it, that would be great...
Oh, and also, I have read the bibles and mlsat books, so I think I understand the basics. Velocity would have the basic instructions too I think, do you know whether they overlap? Teaching similar things? (Such as conditionals etc...) I wonder whether I can skip that part and just go straight to the explanations, cuz I want to avoid the same work and maybe use time for different things... :(

Balthy

Postby Balthy » Wed May 29, 2013 4:05 pm

15chocolate wrote:
superdingle2000 wrote:I use both. I wouldn't say Velocity blows 7sage out of the water. Velocity saves you lots of time by showing how to most effectively use prior work. However, when understanding of some complex limitation/possibility is what you need to quickly get an answer to a Q, Dave often endorses "brute force" work over fully understanding the logic. On the other hand, 7sage doesn't use prior work very effectively, but (at least this is my impression) opts to quickly determine some complex limitation/possibility before having to do brute force work. So I think they are both more efficient than each other at different aspects of games. Overall, though, where Dave is more efficient seems to pay off more than where 7sage is more efficient. This might be because the difference I mentioned only applies to difficult Qs, as Dave obviously sees and utilizes limitations/possibilities when they are obvious.

I have watched velocity's free game vids, and felt sometimes they are using similar charts as 7sages, but sometimes very different...7sage is more like the Lbibles or mlsat I think.
Are their other explanations for games aft 2000 the same/similar as the free ones (velocity)?
Also, what do you mean "brute force works?" Do you mean trial and error? I hate those, so if they teach how to avoid them and use previous works for it, that would be great...
Oh, and also, I have read the bibles and mlsat books, so I think I understand the basics. Velocity would have the basic instructions too I think, do you know whether they overlap? Teaching similar things? (Such as conditionals etc...) I wonder whether I can skip that part and just go straight to the explanations, cuz I want to avoid the same work and maybe use time for different things... :(

I'm not sure whether the free and course videos for Velocity are the same, because I've never used the free ones; I was told by a few people how great Velocity is and, given the relatively low price, decided to jump right in. My guess is that the free vids are a selection of the vids you would get from the course.

What I mean by brute force work is not really having much to go by after reading the Q and basically having to plug in each answer choice to figure it out.

Velocity Games does not spend much time at all covering basics, but this is one of my favorite things about it. No fluff. You get down to business quickly, and you do a good number of games. I think it's perfect for someone who already understands the fundamentals. Maybe the 7sage course is similar; I don't know because I've only seen the free 7sage videos.

I'm sure with both courses you could skip around as you please. With Velocity, though, it's hard to predict exactly what sorts of insights you might find from a set of game explanations based on the intro to that chapter; in other words, the intro to a certain chapter might just briefly describe some really basic stuff but one of the explanations for a game in that chapter set might contain some gem that you'll use for the many games afterwards. Because of this, I would do every game in the Velocity course; there aren't that many anyway (you should probably do way more just in terms of your drilling prep).

15chocolate

Postby 15chocolate » Fri May 31, 2013 2:53 am

superdingle2000 wrote:
15chocolate wrote:

I'm not sure whether the free and course videos for Velocity are the same, because I've never used the free ones; I was told by a few people how great Velocity is and, given the relatively low price, decided to jump right in. My guess is that the free vids are a selection of the vids you would get from the course.

What I mean by brute force work is not really having much to go by after reading the Q and basically having to plug in each answer choice to figure it out.

Velocity Games does not spend much time at all covering basics, but this is one of my favorite things about it. No fluff. You get down to business quickly, and you do a good number of games. I think it's perfect for someone who already understands the fundamentals. Maybe the 7sage course is similar; I don't know because I've only seen the free 7sage videos.

I'm sure with both courses you could skip around as you please. With Velocity, though, it's hard to predict exactly what sorts of insights you might find from a set of game explanations based on the intro to that chapter; in other words, the intro to a certain chapter might just briefly describe some really basic stuff but one of the explanations for a game in that chapter set might contain some gem that you'll use for the many games afterwards. Because of this, I would do every game in the Velocity course; there aren't that many anyway (you should probably do way more just in terms of your drilling prep).

Thanks! That's good to know, time is really the issue for me now, so far I like 7sage, but sometimes I could not finish solving the game within 35, so may wanna try velocity too. :)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”