Seeking advice on taking Jun test then cancel

peke
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat May 25, 2013 6:01 pm

Seeking advice on taking Jun test then cancel

Postby peke » Tue May 28, 2013 1:53 am

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum so please let me know if I'm posting in the wrong place.

I'm a recent college grad and about to take my first LSAT. I just started studying a little over a week ago. I originally set my target for low 170s by June but much to my surprise I hit my target on my PTs relatively consistently (I've been taking PTs at a rate of 1 or 2 per day). I realized higher 170s is not entirely out of reach for me, but the gap would require much more time than between now and June 10th.

Deadlines for refunds and test-date changes are past. From what I hear, law schools prefer seeing a single score rather than two no matter what the difference is and that score cancellations are recorded. My question is: what are the implications of taking the test in June, cancelling, and then taking it again in October as opposed to taking it twice, June and October?

I'm somewhat hesitant of withdrawing from June testing since I've already paid the money and it'd be nice practice.

Thanks!

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3401
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: Seeking advice on taking Jun test then cancel

Postby ManoftheHour » Tue May 28, 2013 2:01 am

Image

You'll never know when you'll need that extra retake. Trust me. Things change. What if you score a 170 and then you realize that you can get a 180? Don't limit yourself. Don't take it when you're not ready. Just move your test date. I believe it's like $60.

User avatar
TheMostDangerousLG
Posts: 1547
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:25 am

Re: Seeking advice on taking Jun test then cancel

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Tue May 28, 2013 2:03 am

ManoftheHour wrote:Image

You'll never know when you'll need that extra retake. Trust me. Things change. What if you score a 170 and then you realize that you can get a 180? Don't limit yourself. Don't take it when you're not ready. Just move your test date. I believe it's like $60.


Don't take until you're scoring in the range where you want to be. If you're testing in the low 170s now, you are probably fully capable of a mid- to high-170s score. I'd recommend waiting until October, but if you do take in June, dear god, don't cancel unless something goes horrifically wrong. There's nothing wrong with having a low 170s score now and a higher 170s score later (or so I tell myself).

peke
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat May 25, 2013 6:01 pm

Re: Seeking advice on taking Jun test then cancel

Postby peke » Tue May 28, 2013 2:07 am

You'll never know when you'll need that extra retake. Trust me. Things change. What if you score a 170 and then you realize that you can get a 180? Don't limit yourself. Don't take it when you're not ready. Just move your test date. I believe it's like $60.


Thanks for the tip, but unfortunately, it's past the test-date change deadline

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3401
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: Seeking advice on taking Jun test then cancel

Postby ManoftheHour » Tue May 28, 2013 2:13 am

It's hard to just lose that money, but it sounds like you have a lot of potential. I think realistically, you can score in the upper 170s. HYS or CCN with $$$ could be options for you. That's a small price to pay.

As someone who took it when he wasn't ready, I'd pay $1000 for an extra retake right about now. It's June or bust for me. Currently deciding between a TT with a discount and a T-25 near sticker. Those aren't great options so I'm retaking in hopes of life after this cycle.

I'm scoring in the low 170s right now but with one retake, that's no guarantee. What if I have a bad day? What if I fuck up on a logic game? What if I have trouble understanding a reading comp passage because it was unusually out of my element? What if I ate something bad for breakfast? What if the guy next to me is sick, coughs a lot during the exam, and smells so bad that I couldn't focus? There's so much riding on one exam for me. I wish I could have one of those exams back.

I used my retakes so stupidly because I couldn't fathom the thought of taking another year off. Then I landed a decent paying job and all of a sudden, I could afford to take another year off to study. I finally broke the 170 barrier but I only have one shot at it. I wish I had two. Like I said, you'd never know when you realize that you can do better and when you'd might need that extra retake.

Don't be like me.
Last edited by ManoftheHour on Tue May 28, 2013 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
TheMostDangerousLG
Posts: 1547
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:25 am

Re: Seeking advice on taking Jun test then cancel

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Tue May 28, 2013 2:17 am

peke wrote:
You'll never know when you'll need that extra retake. Trust me. Things change. What if you score a 170 and then you realize that you can get a 180? Don't limit yourself. Don't take it when you're not ready. Just move your test date. I believe it's like $60.


Thanks for the tip, but unfortunately, it's past the test-date change deadline


You can still withdraw; you'll lose the money, but I think a lot of people would agree that they would give up $160 to have another retake in stock.

peke
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat May 25, 2013 6:01 pm

Re: Seeking advice on taking Jun test then cancel

Postby peke » Tue May 28, 2013 2:28 am

Really appreciate all the comments. Seems like the consensus is clear

User avatar
mehiguess
Posts: 97
Joined: Sat May 11, 2013 9:23 am

Re: Seeking advice on taking Jun test then cancel

Postby mehiguess » Tue May 28, 2013 6:45 am

peke wrote:Really appreciate all the comments. Seems like the consensus is clear



It should be. Given the limited chances to take the LSAT, waiting is ALWAYS the better option.

User avatar
wtrc
Posts: 2057
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Re: Seeking advice on taking Jun test then cancel

Postby wtrc » Tue May 28, 2013 10:36 am

Don't go into it thinking you will cancel. Take October if you aren't ready.

Having said that, if you are hitting low to mid 170's consistently, you have a solid grasp of the material. Taking now isn't an awful idea, with a possible retake if you don't hit where you want. I guess depends if you have the motivation to study for this thing for another 4 months. I know I could probably improve another point or three if I waited til October, but like a lot of people here, I'm ready to get this over with. What's your GPA?

suzige
Posts: 307
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:10 pm

Re: Seeking advice on taking Jun test then cancel

Postby suzige » Tue May 28, 2013 10:41 am

Don't take the test unless you honestly think you are ready. Forget the 100-something dollars. Welcome to the world of what feels like throwing money down the toilet that is law school admissions. You'll be kicking yourself later if you need to take it a third time. You never know how you'll react or perform on test day.

peke
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat May 25, 2013 6:01 pm

Re: Seeking advice on taking Jun test then cancel

Postby peke » Tue May 28, 2013 11:39 am

wtrcoins3 wrote:What's your GPA?

I graduated with 3.83 in math and engineering from a T10. How much does the latter two matter just wondering? My law counselor said they'd consider my majors despite the GPA but from what I read online that doesn't seem to be the case.

User avatar
Jeffort
Posts: 1896
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:43 pm

Re: Seeking advice on taking Jun test then cancel

Postby Jeffort » Tue May 28, 2013 8:14 pm

Normally it would be silly to tell somebody that is consistently scoring in the 170s on practice tests with two weeks to go until test day to postpone until October, but the majority here is recommending you postpone. If you didn't say you have only been studying for a little over a week I think everyone would be telling you to take the June test. Given that you have only been practicing for a week, I don't think people are taking your 170s out of the gate scores as serious indicators of how you can perform on test day, and I share their reservations.

Have your 170s practice scores really been from practice tests honestly taken under strict test day conditions? I have to ask because consistently scoring 170s after only one week of study is pretty unheard of. If you currently are consistently scoring 170+ on strict practice tests, then I'm impressed and say that there is no reason not to sit for the June LSAT and expect to keep the score. However, I'm suspicious of the validity of your score claims so I really don't believe you should take the June test since you just started studying a week ago.

Also, don't waste an administration going in planning to cancel, withdraw instead and save a re-take in case you need it down the road for some reason.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests