Test Day Routine for June test?

linkx13

Test Day Routine for June test?

Postby linkx13 » Sun May 26, 2013 12:27 pm

Hey all. With the test being at 1pm, I wondered what people planned to do in the hours before the test that day.

Loosely I have:

8-9: eat, news
9-10: watch something
10-11: shower and get ready to leave
11-12: travel to site (I'm on a subway sooo)
12-1: drink a medium coffee and eat a power bar while I look over practice problems (2 LG, 2 pages of LR, 1 RC)

1: DOMINATE

wtrc

Re: Test Day Routine for June test?

Postby wtrc » Sun May 26, 2013 1:06 pm

I want to do a very light workout and mile or so jog before the test. I'll make sure, starting this week, that I go to sleep earlier and wake up a bit earlier so I'm fully awake. Definitely a nice breakfast.

Your schedule looks good, but make sure it's nothing unusual/ you've done it before, especially before a PT.

Also, at least for me, test starts 1230.

My schedule will be something like:

730ish: wake up (staying at hotel near test center, less noise than where I live), take it easy, meditate or something, watch motivational videos
830: stretch and stuff
9: quick run, quick workout, shower
10: breakfast sandwich, coffee
1045: look over some problems, walk around, head to test center

Dominate test, party, profit

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Sun May 26, 2013 1:36 pm

wtrcoins3 wrote:730ish: wake up (staying at hotel near test center, less noise than where I live), take it easy, meditate or something, watch motivational videos
830: stretch and stuff
9: quick run, quick workout, shower
10: breakfast sandwich, coffee
1045: look over some problems, walk around, head to test center

Dominate test, party, profit

This is almost exactly what my schedule is. But I'll probably do my review problems for about an hour at a coffee place next door to the test center then walk across the street to the test center at 11:00.

The LSAT Trainer

Postby The LSAT Trainer » Sun May 26, 2013 1:38 pm

I'm totally showing my age with this and all of you have probably never even heard of The West Wing, but for some people, a little bit of nervous energy isn't a bad thing --

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyqzPu5pX6U

Of course, more importantly, it helps to know that you are the most able and prepared person in the room. If you feel certain of that, I think the other things matter far less.

itachiuchiha

Postby itachiuchiha » Sun May 26, 2013 1:39 pm

5:55 AM: Fajr Prayer (Muslim)
6:00 AM Back to Sleep
10:00 AM Wake up
10:15 AM eat breakfast and watch some cartoons and maybe check the news
11:00 AM pray to god asking for forgiveness and to promise to never do anything bad ever again if he helps you to score a 175+
11-12 AM/PM Go to test center
1PM - Kick the test's ass

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Sun May 26, 2013 1:45 pm

The LSAT Trainer wrote:I'm totally showing my age with this and all of you have probably never even heard of The West Wing, but for some people, a little bit of nervous energy isn't a bad thing --

Of course, more importantly, it helps to know that you are the most able and prepared person in the room. If you feel certain of that, I think the other things matter far less.

Pretty sweet video.

the_pakalypse

Postby the_pakalypse » Sun May 26, 2013 2:39 pm

10:30 am: Wake up (don't judge me :lol:), read some reddit on my phone, eat breakfast
11:00 am: meditate and shower, might do a game or two (untimed, not checking answers) to get in the zone
12:00 pm: Walk to testing centre (it's at my school and I live off campus)

I just want to continue doing what I usually do before a practice test

jwaters92

Postby jwaters92 » Sun May 26, 2013 5:29 pm

deleted

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Sun May 26, 2013 5:31 pm

jwaters92 wrote:Take a PT for every single day one month prior to the test. Last week before the test take two PTs a day. Walk in on test day and own.

I like this.

LexLeon

Postby LexLeon » Tue May 28, 2013 12:46 am

Do some deep breathing, praying, and meditation and get some exercise.

You should try any substantially novel routine with a practice test before the real test.

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Tue May 28, 2013 2:01 am

Hmmm, hadn't really thought about it. I guess here's what would be ideal or at least smart:

9 AM: Wake up. Try to eat some food. Make sure ziploc has everything I need.
9ish to 9:45ish: Get dressed.
9:45ish to 11: Do a couple LGs, an RC passage, some LR.
11: Make sure ziploc has everything. Try to breathe and calm self. Check email, have cigarette, fuck around until leave time.
11:30 AM: Cab or bus or whatever to test center.
After I get there: Work on packet of moderately easy Qs, use bathroom, have cigarette; rinse and repeat until they force me to enter the test room.

.. of course, now that I've said it, it won't happen. I'll wake up at 11, rush around in a desperate flurry, forget my watch at home (oh, please God, don't let this happen..).

NoWorries

Postby NoWorries » Tue May 28, 2013 2:55 am

10:30 Wake up, shower, eat oatmeal and a few bananas.
11 Do a few LR problems, a game, and a RC passage.
11:30 Watch highlights on MLB.com
12 Drive to easy test.

Balthy

Postby Balthy » Tue May 28, 2013 6:06 am

The LSAT Trainer wrote:I'm totally showing my age with this and all of you have probably never even heard of The West Wing, but for some people, a little bit of nervous energy isn't a bad thing --

Sick video.

Also, I never thought of the LSAT as a competition against others in the room until this post. I think of it more as a badass epic battle against the LSAT itself. I think viewing it your way will help though; that sort of perspective usually puts me into "yaaaaay it's a game, it's a game!" mode and takes the edge off. Though, now that I spell it out, "badass epic battle" sounds pretty sweet too...

jetsfan1

Postby jetsfan1 » Tue May 28, 2013 8:19 am

not taking in june but why has no one has mentioned eating an enormous lunch yet? Worst thing in the world (for me at least) would be to get hungry during the test.

itachiuchiha

Postby itachiuchiha » Tue May 28, 2013 10:37 am

jetsfan1 wrote:not taking in june but why has no one has mentioned eating an enormous lunch yet? Worst thing in the world (for me at least) would be to get hungry during the test.

I rather be hungry than have to shit or piss

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Tue May 28, 2013 10:58 am

jetsfan1 wrote:not taking in june but why has no one has mentioned eating an enormous lunch yet? Worst thing in the world (for me at least) would be to get hungry during the test.

I wouldn't eat an enormous lunch and then feel lethargic. Nice breakfast a few hours before, nice power snacks during break. Lots of food at the bar post-test.

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Tue May 28, 2013 11:28 am

wtrcoins3 wrote:

I wouldn't eat an enormous lunch and then feel lethargic. Nice breakfast a few hours before, nice power snacks during break. Lots and lots of food drinks at the bar post-test.

jetsfan1

Postby jetsfan1 » Tue May 28, 2013 11:43 am

hmmm interesting i guess its just me then- i always do better when im full even the slightest bit of hunger really throws me off

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Tue May 28, 2013 11:59 am

jetsfan1 wrote:hmmm interesting i guess its just me then- i always do better when im full even the slightest bit of hunger really throws me off

I'm the complete opposite. When I get full I am exhausted, even when I haven't done anything that day. It's like my body has to convert all available energy into digestion, leaving me with only enough energy to maintain basic bodily functions like breathing and pausing HBO. So I've just gotten in the habit of eating four small meals throughout the day.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Tue May 28, 2013 7:45 pm

Ideally, you should establish a schedule/routine that you follow for at least several days, preferably a week, leading up to test day that includes the same wake up, go to sleep, eating and taking a full timed PT times per day that you will have to do on test day. Obviously not everyone can do the same daily routine for a week before due to work/school, but if you can do it, or at least close to it most days, you will benefit by having all systems tuned up and firing properly at the proper time of day for peak performance.

Keeping yourself in a regimented daily routine helps to make sure you are going to be well rested, nourished, alert, energetic, and in your peak shape during the hours of the test but you have to do it for at least a few days or more ahead to get conditioned into the routine.

I maintained the exact same daily schedule I would have on test day for two weeks leading up to the test. I woke up at the same time each day I would on test day, ate the same thing for breakfast at the same time each day, started a PT at the same time each day, ate lunch same time each day, exercised same time in evening, dinner at the same time, stopped study at the same time, went to bed at the same time, etc.

It was two weeks of a clockwork schedule that made a big difference for me. Scored higher than any of my practice tests on test day. I was averaging around 169 in the last week, highest practice test was 171, and I scored 177 on test day. I was super relaxed and stress free on test day. Instead of stressed I was close to being bored since I had been following the same exact daily schedule for two weeks. Taking the test was literally just another day like every day the prior two weeks.

Following a strict regiment schedule leading in also gets your body functions in a routine so that you shouldn't have any problems due to needing to use the bathroom during the test or trouble from getting hungry or being sluggish from eating too much before the test.

SteelPenguin

Postby SteelPenguin » Wed May 29, 2013 12:57 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Hmmm, hadn't really thought about it. I guess here's what would be ideal or at least smart:

11: Make sure ziploc has everything. Try to breathe and calm self. Check email, have cigarette, fuck around until leave time.
After I get there: Work on packet of moderately easy Qs, use bathroom, have cigarette; rinse and repeat until they force me to enter the test room.

.. of course, now that I've said it, it won't happen. I'll wake up at 11, rush around in a desperate flurry, forget my watch at home (oh, please God, don't let this happen..).

Can you wear it to bed?

itachiuchiha

Postby itachiuchiha » Wed May 29, 2013 6:10 pm

my routine is to walk into the test center and put chalk on my hand and clap it and put my hands up in the air like lebron james

NoWorries

Postby NoWorries » Wed May 29, 2013 11:06 pm

itachiuchiha wrote:my routine is to walk into the test center and put chalk on my hand and clap it and put my hands up in the air like lebron james

This is a great recipe to flop.

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Wed May 29, 2013 11:22 pm

SteelPenguin wrote:
TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Hmmm, hadn't really thought about it. I guess here's what would be ideal or at least smart:

Can you wear it to bed?

Ah, that's smart! But I hate wearing any type of jewelry (for lack of a better word) to bed. Plus, I keep it on the table instead of my wrist (please, please, please don't let my test center be using tiny attached desks..). I'll just obsessively check my Ziploc the night before to make sure it's in there. :P

Mr. Lahey

Postby Mr. Lahey » Thu May 30, 2013 3:07 pm

I believe in taking care of myself, and a balanced diet and a rigorous exercise routine.
In the morning, if my face is a little puffy, I'll put on an ice pack while doing my stomach crunches (I can do 1,000 now).
After I remove the ice pack, I use a deep pore cleansing lotion. I the shower, I use a water-activated gel cleanser; then a honey almond body scrub; and on the face, an exfoliating gel scrub. Then I apply an herb mint facial mask, which I leave on for 10 minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine. I always use an aftershave lotion with little or no alcohol, because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older; then moisturizer; then an anti-aging eye balm followed by a final moisturizing protective lotion.

On the morning of the LSAT, I simply am not there .

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”